There are 386 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Furlow:
He's holding on by a very thin thread, just let him have it lol.

There's no thread, fella. I told you we needed a better QB than Jimmy countless times and I'm happy we now have it. That's a win in my book? Did you see how this kid played in the 2nd half? Compare that to ANY of Jimmy's playoff games and you should understand why I was right about what I'd said all along, regardless how many times you may have yelled at me that Jimmy is all we need. Let's not pretend like that stuff was 10 yrs ago. #receipts

With Lance,...a trade has to happen or an announcement has to come. Or they play it off as if it's his job to lose. Or......?

We're all spectators. It's going to be a fun offseason that's uncomfortable for some.
[ Edited by random49er on Jan 17, 2023 at 4:47 PM ]
Originally posted by libertyforever:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Originally posted by tankle104:

lol but he's still QB1 cause he was giving the job a year ago! Oh, and we know just as much today about him as we did 2 years ago when we drafted him.

He was drafted really high and has a rocket arm, so... QB1.

This. And dont forget hes strong and built. Good athlete.

Jim Drukenmiller approves.

We still owe Jim Druckenmiller the opportunity to show what he has. We should have gave him reps for a season or two. He had potential to be one of the best QB ever to play the game. Jeff Garcia was good but he had noodle arms and was short.

I gave up when I heard his last name.

I mean really. You go from Montana to Young, and then "Drunkenmiller"? Just knew that would never work.
Originally posted by random49er:
There is no "In my mind." I'm taking you through a factual timeline.

Jimmy was our starter throughout a full season of having his replacement right behind him. Eventually, Shanahan needed to name his starter for 2022, whether Jimmy's shoulder was still recovering or not. And he did that,...you can go check.

If there is a new direction, he'll need to do the same for next season. Conversations need to be had and whether to the QB Room, the Locker Room, or to everyone,...he'll need to eventually say he's changed his mind on who the starter is, just like the year before. When there is a permanent switch that's not just due to injury, as a HC, you eventually have to let people know. You're not a HC of course, so this might kinda fly right by you.

But leaving things the same would be keeping the injured starter as your #1. I can't make it any clearer.

lol youre not the HC either so dont sit here and patronize others like you know it all. take your own advice or at least show proof that you sit in with Shanny on these decisions.
LOL at the folks here talking about Lance or Jimmy instead of Brock.

So lame.
Originally posted by libertyforever:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:

lol but he's still QB1 cause he was giving the job a year ago! Oh, and we know just as much today about him as we did 2 years ago when we drafted him.

He was drafted really high and has a rocket arm, so... QB1.

This. And dont forget hes strong and built. Good athlete.

Jim Drukenmiller approves.

We still owe Jim Druckenmiller the opportunity to show what he has. We should have gave him reps for a season or two. He had potential to be one of the best QB ever to play the game. Jeff Garcia was good but he had noodle arms and was short.

Fyi, a couple of you already got the Lance thread locked. So I hope you guys keep it up, we need a little break for you guys.
Originally posted by boast:
lol youre not the HC either so

Didn't know this needed an announcement (just ignored the rest) but no,...I'm not the HC either.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:

So lame.

The kid has been playing lights out. Give it another game or so and we cant write it off as a trend.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:

So lame.

Because Brock is better than both of them. No need to discuss BCB.

Didn't know this needed an announcement (just ignored the rest) but no,...I'm not the HC either.

of course you ignored the rest of my post

of course you ignored the rest of my post

Well yea the moment your post begins to head in the wrong direction, mods have asked me to just ignore it. Just doing as told and trying to stick to info and opinions about the 49ers.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by 49ers81:
That broken play to Aiyuk in the corner endzone, I'm pretty sure got Kyle stoked enough to where he'll design some scramble plays for Purdy in the future to take advantage of his athleticism.

I'm not sure that, by definition, you can design a scramble play. You can design a roll out or a read option or a QB run but scrambles happen when everything else breaks down.

Personally I would rather NOT see Kyle dial up any designed runs for Purdy. He's not a very big guy and that seems like a surefire way to get him hurt.

Sprint right option is a moving pocket type play that took advantage of Joe's mobility. I'm thinking of similar plays for Purdy.

The boot pass doesn't require a mobile QB, but it sure helps. So you already have seen a ton of naked boots by Brock, like the one to Deebo for that 70+ yard TD.

Scramble drills basically has rules as to where the recievers go based on where the QB is scrambling to. Mike Shanahan did a ton of those with Steve to great success.

Scramble drills is different than "designed" scramble plays. I agree with 49ers81, you can't exactly design plays like that. But yes, Purdy's sneaky athleticism and burst makes the bootlegs that much more effective.

The scramble option allows for the QB to use the scramble drill rules to adjust the WR routes on the fly. Joe would break pocket contain for an instant if he can adjust his WRs routs to get behind the defender (for example).

Basically the scramble drill rule would be (for example) if you see your QB in trouble, head to the sideline he's scrambling to. If you, as a WR is at the sideline your QB is scrambling to, then you go vertical.

Brock basically did this with Kittle on his back of the endzone TD, I think, with the Raiders. He was scrambling left and hit Kittle in the back of the endzone.

The one to Aiyuk that he dropped as well, is a good example.

Yes, exactly. So you can build options to the WR, RB, FB and TE routes via the scramble drill route. Don't ask me how, I'll leave that to Kyle. But it's nothing new, Seattle has been doing that stuff with Russel Midget since Midget was a Seadderall SeaChicken.
it's OUT

Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by pdc20:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He was kind of a reach and inexperienced. Versus Purdy who was very experienced in College. If they wanted an athletic QB it was Fields. I never really understood how Lance is better than Fields? At what? I can't think of anything.

I don´t know, maybe working under center? Running something that looked like Shanahan´s offense? Not keeping too much the ball? Not taking unecessary sacks? And I would probably have choosen Fields if I was the Niners at that time.
But did you watch Fields with the Bears? I understand why Kyle was not interested and preferred Trey Lance and Mac Jones.

Fields is on a horrible team. Lol Lance is on arguably the best team in the league with a top coaching staff.

fiekds still won… by THROWING TO DANTE PETTIS.

Idk if you paid attention to this team early in the season, but we were 3-4 at one point. We lose to some horrible teams when Lance was not the starter either.

I bet Dante felt really proud about scoring that TD.

Fields landed that pass in the "monsoon game" lol
Originally posted by pdc20:
Watch the Bears draft Bryce Young. It will be hilarious and smart at the same time.

And if they did that? Why would i care? Lol I'm not a bears fan. I like a player, so what?. They could have prime Montana and they still wouldn't win a damn thing with that roster. Lol

are you under the impression it'll bother me if they move on from a player that I liked? Lol what am I - an immature 12 year old? Lol couldn't care less.
We have multiple QBs with those traits,...and actually there is something to "mess with",...as the last guy he named a season's starter is Trey Lance.

So he'll have to officially change his mind publicly/before the team on that decision, for the 2nd year straight.

Or,...he could, as you suggested,...."not mess with" anything and pick things up where they left off pre-injury with Lance as the starter.

And stay with it so as to not seem like he's playing musical chairs until he's fully convinced that he's currently given up on Lance being/developing as our starting QB.

Soooo,...just correcting your vision on things and how they're really slated to play out.

just look at the play calling with purdy vs Lance. It's obvious who shanahan has more confidence in. Lance is busy trying to learn how to slide and be accurate with an outside coach.

Yeah, Purdy can almost run Shanahan's full playbook. lance cannot/could not yet
Share 49ersWebzone