There are 187 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Lance takes a back seat to Purdy. With a deep run into the playoffs, Lance gets left by the side of the road. See Ya!

More the bench than the side of the road. While Brock starts we'll give Lance time to develop and see if he actually can.

His value right now is low, but we will work to develop him into a great backup and/or a great trade asset.

His trade value is tied to the unknown, you hold on to him too long without any positive film and that diminishes IMO. Trey's peak value is right now being just 2 years removed from a consensus top 15 pick with limited pro film. This team in the time we've had him already knows if he can handle this O or not, other teams don't have that insight.
Originally posted by tankle104:
Lance posted a pic on IG of Ram Catherton with three fingers crossed emoji. Not sure what he meant but it's easy to assume that it's he is hoping he is traded there to start? Seems uncharacteristic of him, but maybe? He could just be wishing the guy luck.

im super confident about the niners this weekend. Not that it'll be an easy game, but that we will handle them. We are better and Purdy doesn't have to do anything special to win

Makes sense, it could just be a message in support of a friend/mentor who is now elevated to a GM role with another organization.

Indeed. I share your confidence as well as your caution. It won't be easy, but we should still end this weekend with a victory.
Originally posted by Koldo:
Originally posted by Montana:
Just glad we got him instead of idk the Rams? Raiders? That would have sucked lol. I think a lot of us saw something in the Miami game (or some sooner than that)..something you can't explain..just something was there. A spark..he had something. He different. Not only is he talented but seems very cordial, swaggy but humble & seems to be quite the team leader. A person that everyone can get around, respectable, authentic chap lol. W or L in the next few games..it's been such a fun ride, I won't be disappointed if there is no SB ring. What? Lol. There will be more of Brock for sure, he ain't going away..it's awesome, glad I am here to see it. The 80s/90s feels again, so nostalgic lol. He's not some flash in the pan..those come & go & ya can kinda get the feel for it when that happens. He is just one of those special ones, hope he is wearing a 9ers jersey for quite a while:). Go 9ers!

Me neither

The team is so much fun to watch again and you know we will always be a contender with the Purdy/Shanahan combo.

I agree and with all the things we heard about him being football junkie, perfectionist, etc., his poise, leadership qualities and confidence proves to us that the stage is not too big for him and he is not bothered by any pressure at all. He works really hard ( one of those first one in and last one out of the facility) but he carries himself a very matured and humble demeanor and from what I saw from a lot of interviews and videos, he's having a lot of fun and he possesses some sense of humor. Seems like we got our quarterback. On the other hand, our division rivals seem to be having issue with theirs, just saying.
Originally posted by jcs:
His trade value is tied to the unknown, you hold on to him too long without any positive film and that diminishes IMO. Trey's peak value is right now being just 2 years removed from a consensus top 15 pick with limited pro film. This team in the time we've had him already knows if he can handle this O or not, other teams don't have that insight.

Fair enough. You may be 100% spot on. If we do trade Trey, I hope we get at least a first back.

I am accounting for the possibility that he continues cutting his teeth against our starting defense and improves as a result.

Additionally, having witnessed just how frail our QB's can be, having a cheap and capable back-up in Trey is not such a bad thing.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Lance takes a back seat to Purdy. With a deep run into the playoffs, Lance gets left by the side of the road. See Ya!

More the bench than the side of the road. While Brock starts we'll give Lance time to develop and see if he actually can.

His value right now is low, but we will work to develop him into a great backup and/or a great trade asset.

His value is def the highest it'll be right now without him putting on great film, that's because the fifth year option.

if we hold Trey and don't play him next year, no one is going to give much for an unknown on an expiring contract. But if he's traded this off season, it gives a team a chance to see him play for a year before deciding on executing the fifth year option.
trade him this off season: a team can get three years of contract out of him at a cheap price.
trade him next off season: a team gets one year.

it's very very clear where his most value is.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Jan 18, 2023 at 8:37 AM ]
  • jcs
  • Veteran

Fair enough. You may be 100% spot on. If we do trade Trey, I hope we get at least a first back.

I am accounting for the possibility that he continues cutting his teeth against our starting defense and improves as a result.

Additionally, having witnessed just how frail our QB's can be, having a cheap and capable back-up in Trey is not such a bad thing.

Trey is costing us 9.3 Million against our Cap next year...he's far from a cheap back-up. Why I think you move him if you believe Purdy is the FQB.

Trey is costing us 9.3 Million against our Cap next year...he's far from a cheap back-up. Why I think you move him if you believe Purdy is the FQB.

It would have to be a great offer for the team to trade him, because of the dead cap cost that trading Lance would bring on. It would be more expensive to our cap to trade him than keep him.

i wonder if we can make another team take on the dead cap if we trade him.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Jan 18, 2023 at 8:38 AM ]

We'll see what the calculus inside 49ers headquarters is.

I like the idea of good draft compensation for Trey and I also like the idea of having a capable backup behind Brock Purdy.
His value is def the highest it'll be right now without him putting on great film, that's because the fifth year option.

if we hold Trey and don't play him next year, no one is going to give much for an unknown on an expiring contract. But if he's traded this off season, it gives a team a chance to see him play for a year before deciding on executing the fifth year option.
trade him this off season: a team can get three years of contract out of him at a cheap price.

The 9ers did in 2017.

I like the idea of good draft compensation for Trey and I also like the idea of having a capable backup behind Brock Purdy.

I agree. I'd prefer to keep him because we've only had one season where our qb didn't go down since kyles been here.

It just depends on the trade package - it'll have to be a very good one for the niners to move off. If Trey did get traded to the titans, I'd be happy for him. It's a good team with a good coach.

Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

The 9ers did in 2017.

Yeah, true. Lol still haven't figured out if that was smart or dumb. Hahah May never know
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
His footwork is so smooth. He glides around like a boxer.

I mentioned this from his first few snaps in the preseason. It was miles ahead of what I was expecting. I knew he had something almost immediately.
  • All22
  • Veteran

I agree. I'd prefer to keep him because we've only had one season where our qb didn't go down since kyles been here.

It just depends on the trade package - it'll have to be a very good one for the niners to move off. If Trey did get traded to the titans, I'd be happy for him. It's a good team with a good coach.

Exactly. We're in our prime Superbowl window right now before paying "highest ever" money for Bosa, before CMC and Deebo hit 30, and before we have to pay Aiyuk. The 9 million you save trading Lance isn't worth jeopardizing that.
[ Edited by All22 on Jan 18, 2023 at 8:52 AM ]
Originally posted by All22:

Exactly. We're in our prime Superbowl window right now before paying "highest ever" money for Bosa, before CMC and Deebo hit 30, and before we have to pay Aiyuk. The 9 million you save trading Lance isn't worth jeopardizing that.

Very true. Plus we have 11 picks this year to trade all around for if we really really want someone.

I think we keep him because regardless what fans say or want, and I've made it clear I don't think Lance will be a super star, but I think at worst he will be a good starter. Having a quality starter, at worse, as you backup is a serious luxury. It at least gives us confidence that if something happens to Purdy - we can still make some noise.
Originally posted by TyCore:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
His footwork is so smooth. He glides around like a boxer.

I mentioned this from his first few snaps in the preseason. It was miles ahead of what I was expecting. I knew he had something almost immediately.

His mechanics are second nature to him, at least his footwork and it's beautiful 😍😍.

When I look at Purdys college career - he really showed nothing that would mean he wouldn't be a good player at the pros. He just doesn't have a cannon and tried to do too much, which backfired on him.

his intangibles are amazing, so far. I also really love that he is an absolute football junky. I like that cause it means he is most likely aware of every rule and regulation for the game, he's the type to read the Manuel page to page. Lmao

but most importantly, I think his football junkiness aligns him with shanahan. I'm not say our other QBs aren't, but it does seem like this is the best Kyles aligned with a QB since Matt Ryan. When they're aligned so well, I think it transfers over to the field and he can see what and why shanahan is calling certain plays and what he is trying to set up.
Share 49ersWebzone