There are 269 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The 49ers are a push button offense, you don't need Tom Brady back there to bail you out (maybe next year though).
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Watched a little of his college tape.

-great anticipation. Like that's probably his best trait (which helps with the lack of arm talent).
-seems to have issues processing under pressure.
-solid lower half and good footwork.
-got a little twitch and ability to move around in the pocket/scramble. Not a top tier athlete at all, but movement is there.
-arm angle throws are there.
-lack of true arm talent is very obvious, there will be parts of the field that just don't exist with him.
-accuracy is meh, obviously the further downfield you do the worse it is.

I don't know just a quick glance overall, I watched the Oklahoma game and Iowa game clips. He seems to have much more composure under pressure Sunday vs in college.

they used a ton of RPOs and PA under gun, they got him moving around behind the LOS a lot as well.

He seems like a quality backup, that you can toss in for a couple games but depending on him to be the guy isn't gonna cut it. We're kinda at where we're at for 2022.

You ve always maintained we just need Jimmy to be serviceable because of the talent on this team. Purdy is serviceable. If your theory is correct, this team should go deep.

I've maintained that he needs to be a good game manager and distribute the ball well. I've said you can't turn over the ball. We don't have a high margin of error in regards to QB play and now it's even smaller.

I'm not expecting Brock to be consistent there. Hope so, but I'm just trying to be realistic.
Originally posted by mitpdub:
We saw the arm angles on Sunday and balls were not batted down.

He reminds me of cousins.

He doesn't have the arm talent of Kirk.
Originally posted by Crown:
One thing i noticed on Sunday is his passes travel a little higher in the air than JGs. JGs at times are more bullet passes without arc.
Purdy has some arc to it.

not sure if this is a good or bad thing - just an observation.

That's a velocity issue.

He doesn't, but neither does Jimmy. I don't see this offense changing one bit. If anything, we could utilize Purdy's legs more than we could with Jimmy. That doesn't mean I think Purdy>Jimmy. But we didn't attack down the field anyway.
Originally posted by Waterbear:

He doesn't, but neither does Jimmy. I don't see this offense changing one bit. If anything, we could utilize Purdy's legs more than we could with Jimmy. That doesn't mean I think Purdy>Jimmy. But we didn't attack down the field anyway.

You will get another QB hurt with that and be down to #4.

Oh I don't either.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

You will get another QB hurt with that and be down to #4.

Using someone's mobility is not the same thing as running QB power 10 times a game. We saw Brock fake a handoff and throw outside to Kittle for a first down.

But we've seen already that a QB can get hurt on run plays or while in the pocket. It doesn't matter.
Page 69 giggity. Brock will have a 69 yard TD pass to Aiyuk book it
?t=645

Skip to 10:45 to see Purdy in Irrelevant Week

Originally posted by Heed49er:
?t=645

Skip to 10:45 to see Purdy in Irrelevant Week
That's cool. Thanks for sharing
  • thl408
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by thl408:
There is a play where Brock avoids an INT because he is patient enough to see that he is being baited on a Sail concept versus three deep shell. He waits and waits, not because he's slow, but because he knows he can't throw it yet. Then he throws it, what seems to be late, but it's not, to Kroft along the sideline. So good for a rookie.

Since Mullens is being brought up in here relating to Purdy's first extended playing time. Do you recall Mullens having any similar film in his first start as you are describing in your two posts above about Purdy?

I don't remember exactly how Mullens had his early success, only that his failures were from not taking care of the ball. I will show (tonight) the play where Brock avoided a turnover that Mullens may have thrown as a possible difference in their playstyle, unless jonnydel gets to it, and I hope he does.
Originally posted by thl408:
This play doesn't seem like much, but to me it shows calmness in the pocket. Some young QBs panic when there is too much time in the pocket. Brock stays very calm and doesn't waste the precious time seeing ghosts or worrying about pressure that isn't there.
He looks to his right, sees that the Sucker concept is taken away (Tampa2; MIKE takes away Deebo), then progress to his left and hits (I think) his 4th read. I am sure jonnydel will touch on this as a good illustration of how the moment isn't too big. Watch Brock's steady feet.

100%. Hearkens back to the time when NFL scouts prioritized guys who played a lot in college. Dude has the poise of a veteran.
Originally posted by mattster03:
Originally posted by nolimit2game:
I was impressed and impressed that Kyle let him throw it 37 times.
If a miracle happens and he balls. We would finally have the storyline on our side.
A movie would be made.

At least a 30 for 30. "Purdy Relevant"

Feature film: "Irrelevant."
Originally posted by Heroism:

Cousins is a little bigger with a stronger arm. I think Purdy is more nimble, tho.

One thing that I noticed that is different from Nick Mullens is Purdy's confidence. Mullens always had an unsure look on his face. There were times when I swear Mullens looked like he was about to cry. Purdy, however, looks like he's ready to whip his hog out and drop it on the table. Let's see if he maintains that confidence moving forward.

Big C-ck Brock is what they're calling him in the locker room.

*apparently the C word is not autofiltered, and I don't feel like a time out, so you get a dash.
[ Edited by 5_Golden_Rings on Dec 6, 2022 at 10:30 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone