There are 222 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I don't understand why folks (talking heads and others) can't just accept that Purdy is playing extremely well. Yes, he benefits from the great talent around him and our head coaches system. That's a given.

on the flip side, the great talent and our head coaches play calling has benefited by playing with Purdy and his exceptional play.

It's a Win-Win! Everyone is complimenting each other.
Purdy should never have to apologize or show that he can play well on a crap team just to satisfy others. Every great player/champion has benefited from playing on great teams with awesome coaches - otherwise they wouldn't win the super bowl.
Originally posted by boast:
it was brought up on the Haberman & Middlekauff podcast Sherlock Holmes.

No need to be a dick about it…..it's Marc Tresmen man. Most people are gonna say huh bringing up that dude.
  • Koldo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
im not following Trestman.

but it's the second former HC who has said the same thing. Greg Cossell mentioned there was another one who told hm the same thing.

So what did you do search Brock and Montana? Sorry I put about as much stock in what he says as someone like Rex Ryan lol.

I value Cosell's opinion, he was also a massive Lance supporter. So I like that.

I see no reason to compare him to one of the best players in NFL history right now. It's silly and imo if he wasn't wearing a SF jersey I bet weren't not hearing that.

You post random tweeters all the time but you balk when someone posts a tweet of an actual NFL coach who actually coached for the 49ers?

Some "unbiased" posters only value those "opinions" that fit their narrative.
Originally posted by tankle104:
I don't understand why folks (talking heads and others) can't just accept that Purdy is playing extremely well. Yes, he benefits from the great talent around him and our head coaches system. That's a given.

on the flip side, the great talent and our head coaches play calling has benefited by playing with Purdy and his exceptional play.

It's a Win-Win! Everyone is complimenting each other.
Purdy should never have to apologize or show that he can play well on a crap team just to satisfy others. Every great player/champion has benefited from playing on great teams with awesome coaches - otherwise they wouldn't win the super bowl.

I don't think there are any talking heads that aren't saying Brock is playing extremely well. Some are just pointing out that they have reasons to be cautious moving forward based on the fact he is playing on a loaded team.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
speaking of Montana...

Montana was just a "system" QB playing "finesse" ball.

Talking heads have always been stupid. Trestman, while not my favorite past OC, sees the same similarities in style many of us are seeing.
Love it!

The Montana-esque performance was evident in the first regular season game that Purdy played in. When he stepped in for an injured Jimmy Garoppolo against Miami, he started making plays that I haven't seen a 49er QB make since the glory days of the 1980's.

BTW, Joe Montana was the QB then.

If you grew up watching Joe sling that football during that most special decade, you couldn't help but see the similarity between the two players. I can't put my finger on it. I can't give you a specific example. It's just there.

Don't know why I didn't see this in preseason. Perhaps I wasn't watching those games closely enough. I can't even remember the preseason games to be brutally honest. Maybe I focused all of my attention on Trey Lance? I'm not sure. Or perhaps Shanny didn't take the wraps off his shiny new toy. I just cannot recall.
  • Koldo
  • Veteran
Can you imagine people low-key hating on Montana only because Jerry Rice, John Taylor or Brent Jones were always open?

No need to be a dick about it…..it's Marc Tresmen man. Most people are gonna say huh bringing up that dude.

not being dick at all. you made two posts trying to figure out how and where i found that tweet. you seemed like you were doing an investigation

Well that's the only reason they haven't "accepted it" as you define it. They can,...they are just a little more patient in doing so than you have chosen to be. That's okay. Let them doubt.

It's kinda stale to always foster this "Us vs. Them" mentality over insignificant stuff.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
speaking of Montana...

Montana was just a "system" QB playing "finesse" ball.

Talking heads have always been stupid. Trestman, while not my favorite past OC, sees the same similarities in style many of us are seeing.
Love it!

If you grew up watching Joe sling that football during that most special decade, you couldn't help but see the similarity between the two players. I can't put my finger on it. I can't give you a specific example.

I can it's cuz he's completely unflappable under pressure. Usually when pressured QBs take their eye off downfield to eyeball the rushers and escape the pocket. He's got that vision to keep eyes downfield and navigate the pocket feeling the rush without losing sight of what's going on with his routes/progressions. He sees the entire field. Examples include the TD pass to CMC or the TD pass to Mitch and he's throwing while rolling or moving which was also a Montana staple, doing that with accuracy.

Pundits said the same thing about Joe Montana. There weren't as many of them. But national media really ignored the guy during the entire 1981 season. When the NFC Championship Game took place, the entire national media focus was on Danny White and the Dallas Cowboys. Little attention was given to Joe Montana, Bill Walsh and the 49ers.

It was with the upset, and yes it was considered an upset when the 49ers won that game, it was then when national media began to pay attention to this QB in San Francisco. Before that, Montana hadn't even been a blip on national radar coverage.

For the next two seasons, Montana and the 49ers would have to live with multiple reports that it was the "West Coast System" that made Montana great. In other words, Walsh could have plugged in "Joe Blow" and the 49ers would have been great. It was only after the second Super Bowl win over the Miami Dolphins did Montana start to get the accolades he deserved.

BTW, Miami was HEAVILY favored to win that game.

• Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Koldo:
Can you imagine people low-key hating on Montana only because Jerry Rice, John Taylor or Brent Jones were always open?

It happened A LOT.

not being dick at all. you made two posts trying to figure out how and where i found that tweet. you seemed like you were doing an investigation

Oh stop it. You were being a smart ass. It's fine we're all doing it in here.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
it's funny how bringing up a W/L is so triggering to some.

For real.. it's part of the equation for evaluating QBs. NFL clubs do it all the time. The more we win with Brock the harder it will be for the actual club to move away from starting him. We all know this.

It's HOW you win that matters.

W/L is only relevant if you pass the eye test. Since the SB vs the Chiefs Jimmy has not passed the eye test so W/L means far less.

Brock is playing at an elite level and is PLAYMAKING. So the wins he gets credit for as he has been the reason we are scoring 35+ points in our sleep and passes the eye test.

If Brock was winning but playing no different from Jimmy his ass would def be on the bench next year. But he is playing far better than Jimmy and at an elite level and that is why there is talk of him and franchise qb going forward etc.

Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by Koldo:

It happened A LOT.

Montana had two rings before there was a Rice, Taylor, Jones.

He had already shown he was an elite QB.

Plus he threw those deep post TDs all the time and if Brock can give me the deep post touchdowns like Montana did then sign me up. He tried with Aiyuk who screwed up the route and Kittle stole a deep post from Ray Ray so I look forward to one of those connecting
Share 49ersWebzone