49ers bounce back from consecutive losses with decisive 30-13 win over Patriots →

There are 456 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Giedi:
Sorry, this is a Grant Cohn video, so hold your nose while watching the video, but get a look at Brock Purdy studying his playbook/opponent while Bosa is being interviewed.

all I want to know is what he was grubbin' on.
Originally posted by tankle104:
"enormous manhood" lmaooo

Shaq's hand size. Everything else is spot on
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
The eye test is used most often to counter reality based statistics.
Our eye tests are nearly meaningless compared to measurables.

No. That's just categorically false. Eye tests are what has caused humans to begin measuring things to begin with.

Statistics are used to support the eye test. Details and evidence support the subjective thesis statement. That's what we all learned in school, right?

Hopefully I don't have to post boring school stuff to show something so obvious. Statistics are not arguments. What we do here is argue, just in case you haven't noticed, lol.

What you'd like to do is take a set of numbers to your choosing and severely overstate the importance of them since people have different subjective opinions. That's just not how numbers are to be used,...especially in a sport like football no less.

You subjectively give QBs you like personal credit for win-loss records, for example. With 22 players on the field, after games, you subjectively want to give the credit to one player, no matter what the statistical evidence says. So please don't pretend to be a statistics buff because you have shown over and over that you have no interest in what they really say.

1 out of 11 is a statistic. You do know that, right? Well, this doesn't stop you from calling W/L records a QB stat, when factually, it's clearly a team stat. So what you like to do here is pick and choose.

Logically, no matter how many times we argue or disagree about it, it's just never going to make sense and the world around us is the evidence of it.

Everyone calls w-l records a qb stat. Pro Football Weekly did it when I was a young lad, the National did it when I was a young man and now Pro Football reference does it. Wins have always been a team stat and a stat attributed to a qb.
It isn't the most important stat to judge a qb on but it is a factor because winning matters most to a team.
Everyone calls w-l records a qb stat.

1st of all, this is a lie, and an entirely subjective statement,...as "everyone" doesn't "call" it anything.

And even if they did, relying on what people "call" something admits that your argument is horribly flawed and flies right in the face of what u were arguing regarding "subjectivity."

I thought you were more interested in black and white facts?

The sites you mentioned are showing you their team's W/L record while they were the starting QB. Nothing else. That's a fact. @ the end of the games, the teams are recorded as the winner of the contest, not the QB/LB/TE etc. Another fact. Are you interested? Of course not.

Your interpretation of the records beyond that are entirely up to you. But it doesn't change anything above.

There are about 22 guys contributing on both sides of the ball to your team's success. Not talking articles or clicks,....just talking reality. A corner blowing coverage twice can easily lead to a loss and 14 points the other way.

The fact is that wins and losses are a team stat, but do you see how fast you threw your lust for facts right out the window? I saw it coming a mile away.

My thesis is coming @ the end instead of the beginning,...but clearly, the evidence above shows that you gravitate to a couple numbers you like so you can make grandiose statements, whether they make sense or not. And you want to then use "numbers" to back them up because you can't argue "facts",...right?

If a guy is 50-10 as a starting QB, he's 50-10 as a starting QB. I hate to tell you this, but that is where the facts begin and end with that statement. No argument is included in it.
[ Edited by random49er on Jan 18, 2023 at 7:22 PM ]

1st of all, this is a lie, and an entirely subjective statement,...as "everyone" doesn't "call" it anything

And even if they did, relying on what people "call" something admits that your argument is horribly flawed and flies right in the face of what u were arguing regarding "subjectivity."

There are about 22 guys contributing on both sides of the ball to your team's success. Not talking articles or clicks,....just talking reality. A corner blowing coverage twice can easily lead to a loss and 14 points the other way.

The fact is that wins and losses are a team stat, but do you see how fast you threw your lust for facts right out the window? I saw it coming a mile away.

My thesis is coming @ the end instead of the beginning,...but clearly, the evidence above shows that you gravitate to a couple numbers you like so you can make grandiose statements, whether they make sense or not. And you want to then use "numbers" to back them up because you can't argue "facts",...right?

If a guy is 50-10 as a starting QB, he's 50-10 as a starting QB. I hate to tell you this, but that is where the facts begin and end with that statement. No argument is included in it.

Nah a vast majority of people give wins to QBs. You guys are just being difficult imo. Just a quick Google of "QB wins" shows that it is a very very well known stat throughout all platforms of media. Even look at Super Bowls and how guys like Montana ad Brady are known for wins.
[ Edited by ItsX4Number6 on Jan 18, 2023 at 7:22 PM ]
Originally posted by Ezekiel38:
Originally posted by Ezekiel38:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by boast:
it's funny how bringing up a W/L is so triggering to some.

For real.. it's part of the equation for evaluating QBs. NFL clubs do it all the time. The more we win with Brock the harder it will be for the actual club to move away from starting him. We all know this.

It's HOW you win that matters.

W/L is only relevant if you pass the eye test. Since the SB vs the Chiefs Jimmy has not passed the eye test so W/L means far less.

Brock is playing at an elite level and is PLAYMAKING. So the wins he gets credit for as he has been the reason we are scoring 35+ points in our sleep and passes the eye test.

If Brock was winning but playing no different from Jimmy his ass would def be on the bench next year. But he is playing far better than Jimmy and at an elite level and that is why there is talk of him and franchise qb going forward etc.

The eye test is what people cite when there is no evidence

The eye test IS evidence.

It is subjective and biased at best.

Arent Jimmy's efficiency ratings even better than Brock's? And from eye test we know Jimmy still was mediocre and holding the offense back and that Brock is far better.

Once I heard that I knew efficiency stats meant jack if the eye test is not also passed.

Eye test can def be biased - esp around a guy like Lance where I liked what I saw for 3 non-consecutive starts and being so raw and inexperienced. Others have the complete opposite view most of which never liked Lance from the start so bias def in play there.

Jimmy was super easy to eye test and he failed miserably even when we were winning games this year.
Originally posted by ItsX4Number6:
Nah a vast majority of people give wins to QBs. You guys are just being difficult imo. Just a quick Google of "QB wins" shows that it is a very very well known stat throughout all platforms of media. Even look at Super Bowls and how guys like Montana ad Brady are known for wins.

They can't "give" anything. Teams win games and lose games. In tennis, boxing, mma, etc.,....individuals win and lose.

At the end of every game, the winning team is determined, not a certain position on a team.

These are just the facts. What people talk about is fodder and if they try to "give" stats away, as you call it, then again, lol, that is entirely subjective. But Woo's beginning argument was anti-subjectivity. Do you see the hypocrisy or do you not?

Show me a QB's W/L record as a starter (because no QB in history has a W/L record),...and we can always discuss how much the player weighed into such a record. e.g.

The discussed W/L record vs. Miami this year:

Jimmy G: 1-0
Brock P: 0-0

I guess Jimmy was the more successful player against Miami this year then, since he at least logged a victory, right?

Well....anyone with half a brain tells you to throw that record in the garbage and rely on the subjective information we have from watching the game.
[ Edited by random49er on Jan 18, 2023 at 7:36 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Sanfran_chrisco:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Sanfran_chrisco:
Originally posted by njninersfan420:
Sick of this narrative from talking heads that this is the best defense that purdy will face and are expecting him to fall flat on his face. Can't wait for him to shut people up sunday, but they will just move the goalposts again saying he can't beat philly . These bozos should be more talking dak making mistakes against our defense (qb that lead the league in ints despite missing 5 games vs defense with most ints in the league)

he's already been practicing against the best defense all offseason and pre season.

I loved Pudy's comment about Nick Bosa forcing him to speed up his QB clock, because he was constantly annoying him by just standing there staring at him two feet away as he was just releasing the ball.

LOL. where'd you hear this from? good stuff

It was an article, I believe, sometime in training camp about how he's helping to improve the defense and the defense is helping to improve him. Sorry don't have the link.

1st of all, this is a lie, and an entirely subjective statement,...as "everyone" doesn't "call" it anything

the NFL doesn't record team stats to individuals.

Thats why QB Ratings and QBR was created to try help determine QB play (which still has it flaws)
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Thats why QB Ratings and QBR was created to try help determine QB play (which still has it flaws)

No...

They can't "give" anything. Teams win games and lose games. In tennis, boxing, mma, etc.,....individuals win and lose.

At the end of every game, the winning team is determined, not a certain position on a team.

These are just the facts. What people talk about is fodder and if they try to "give" stats away, as you call it, then again, lol, that is entirely subjective. But Woo's beginning argument was anti-subjectivity. Do you see the hypocrisy or do you not?

Show me a QB's W/L record as a starter (because no QB in history has a W/L record),...and we can always discuss how much the player weighed into such a record. e.g.

The discussed W/L record vs. Miami this year:

Jimmy G: 1-0
Brock P: 0-0

I guess Jimmy was the more successful player against Miami this year then, since he at least logged a victory, right?

Well....anyone with half a brain tells you to throw that record in the garbage and rely on the subjective information we have from watching the game.

And you can say this "half of brain" stuff about any stat. A player can have 150 yards 0 tds and play extremely well. A guy can have 400 yard 4 tds and most of it be in garbage time. Joe is the GOAT because he won games, and won SB's. Same for Brady.

Again... QB's, Pitchers, Goalies and other such positions have always been tied to w/l. You can disagree all you want with if they deserve it, i get your point, but to act like it's not a very commonly used stat throughout sports is as I said, just looking to be difficult.
[ Edited by ItsX4Number6 on Jan 18, 2023 at 8:25 PM ]

No..
where is the W/L record, https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/ ?

and tell me why QB Rating and QBR was created ?

No..

Where is the W/L record https://www.nfl.com/stats/team-stats/

You just disproved your own point. If it's a team stat, where is it?

Now google QB win/losses and see how many different entities have such info.

Edit: Oh and funny how a guy you constantly used to s**t on a guy who had a good QBR... Explain that. That's your go to stats gere and you hated on a guy with a high QBR? Ehhh... C'mon bro. I aint buying what your cooking here. You're absolutely and completely contradictive.
[ Edited by ItsX4Number6 on Jan 18, 2023 at 8:34 PM ]

No..

disproved what, our 13-4 W/L record lol

you fail to realize those are not official NFL stats

hey look, Jed has a W/L record just google it derp

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/executives/YorkJe0.htm
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Jan 18, 2023 at 8:36 PM ]

No..

disproved what lol

you fail to realize those are not official NFL stats

hey look, Jed has a W/L record just google it derp

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/executives/YorkJe0.htm

Where is wins in team stats? Lets hear it. https://www.nfl.com/stats/team-stats/

Lol point being, just because it's not a recorded stat on NFL.com doesn't mean it doesn't exist in many other statistical areas. You're playing stupid. End of story.
[ Edited by ItsX4Number6 on Jan 18, 2023 at 8:38 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone