49ers bounce back from consecutive losses with decisive 30-13 win over Patriots →

There are 467 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ItsX4Number6:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Everyone calls w-l records a qb stat.

1st of all, this is a lie, and an entirely subjective statement,...as "everyone" doesn't "call" it anything

And even if they did, relying on what people "call" something admits that your argument is horribly flawed and flies right in the face of what u were arguing regarding "subjectivity."

I thought you were more interested in black and white facts?

There are about 22 guys contributing on both sides of the ball to your team's success. Not talking articles or clicks,....just talking reality. A corner blowing coverage twice can easily lead to a loss and 14 points the other way.

The fact is that wins and losses are a team stat, but do you see how fast you threw your lust for facts right out the window? I saw it coming a mile away.

My thesis is coming @ the end instead of the beginning,...but clearly, the evidence above shows that you gravitate to a couple numbers you like so you can make grandiose statements, whether they make sense or not. And you want to then use "numbers" to back them up because you can't argue "facts",...right?

If a guy is 50-10 as a starting QB, he's 50-10 as a starting QB. I hate to tell you this, but that is where the facts begin and end with that statement. No argument is included in it.

Nah a vast majority of people give wins to QBs. You guys are just being difficult imo. Just a quick Google of "QB wins" shows that it is a very very well known stat throughout all platforms of media. Even look at Super Bowls and how guys like Montana ad Brady are known for wins.
the NFL doesn't record team stats to individuals.

Thats why QB Ratings and QBR was created to try help determine QB play (which still has it flaws)

No..
where is the W/L record, https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/ ?

and tell me why QB Rating and QBR was created ?

Where is the W/L record https://www.nfl.com/stats/team-stats/

You just disproved your own point. If it's a team stat, where is it?

Now google QB win/losses and see how many different entities have such info.
disproved what lol

you fail to realize those are not official NFL stats

hey look, Jed has a W/L record just google it derp

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/executives/YorkJe0.htm

Where is wins in team stats? Lets hear it. https://www.nfl.com/stats/team-stats/
i wonder how well we did without a team W/L record.. hmmm lol

1st of all, this is a lie, and an entirely subjective statement,...as "everyone" doesn't "call" it anything

And even if they did, relying on what people "call" something admits that your argument is horribly flawed and flies right in the face of what u were arguing regarding "subjectivity."

There are about 22 guys contributing on both sides of the ball to your team's success. Not talking articles or clicks,....just talking reality. A corner blowing coverage twice can easily lead to a loss and 14 points the other way.

The fact is that wins and losses are a team stat, but do you see how fast you threw your lust for facts right out the window? I saw it coming a mile away.

My thesis is coming @ the end instead of the beginning,...but clearly, the evidence above shows that you gravitate to a couple numbers you like so you can make grandiose statements, whether they make sense or not. And you want to then use "numbers" to back them up because you can't argue "facts",...right?

If a guy is 50-10 as a starting QB, he's 50-10 as a starting QB. I hate to tell you this, but that is where the facts begin and end with that statement. No argument is included in it.

Nah a vast majority of people give wins to QBs. You guys are just being difficult imo. Just a quick Google of "QB wins" shows that it is a very very well known stat throughout all platforms of media. Even look at Super Bowls and how guys like Montana ad Brady are known for wins.

Thats why QB Ratings and QBR was created to try help determine QB play (which still has it flaws)

No..

disproved what lol

Where is wins in team stats? Lets hear it. https://www.nfl.com/stats/team-stats/

WIll you answer the question? Your only criteria is that it has to be on NFL.com/stats. That's your only criteria. So please... Answer the question or I think were done.
[ Edited by ItsX4Number6 on Jan 18, 2023 at 8:41 PM ]
The eye test is used most often to counter reality based statistics.
Our eye tests are nearly meaningless compared to measurables.

No. That's just categorically false. Eye tests are what has caused humans to begin measuring things to begin with.

Statistics are used to support the eye test. Details and evidence support the subjective thesis statement. That's what we all learned in school, right?

Hopefully I don't have to post boring school stuff to show something so obvious. Statistics are not arguments. What we do here is argue, just in case you haven't noticed, lol.

What you'd like to do is take a set of numbers to your choosing and severely overstate the importance of them since people have different subjective opinions. That's just not how numbers are to be used,...especially in a sport like football no less.

You subjectively give QBs you like personal credit for win-loss records, for example. With 22 players on the field, after games, you subjectively want to give the credit to one player, no matter what the statistical evidence says. So please don't pretend to be a statistics buff because you have shown over and over that you have no interest in what they really say.

1 out of 11 is a statistic. You do know that, right? Well, this doesn't stop you from calling W/L records a QB stat, when factually, it's clearly a team stat. So what you like to do here is pick and choose.

Logically, no matter how many times we argue or disagree about it, it's just never going to make sense and the world around us is the evidence of it.

With respect, very veryyy few people refer to W/L primarily as the domain of the QB.

in fact, before people had to prop up Jimmy G, I never really heard ANY one talking about it like it belonged to a QB.

Probably because it is an overly simple generic stat that is impacted by all 3 phases of football and has all the players on offense, defense and special teams contributing to it......

It is great that Brock is what 6-0....7-0 or whatever but that does not really explain anything. What is important is 18TDs and 3ints

This reminds me of the Dennis Erikson era.... We lost 5 games because of special teams. We had a muffed punt late that eventually went for the go ahead score, we missed 3 or 4 extra points and lost a lot of games by 1 point. I forget the exact scores...but we lost by missed extra points and special team screw ups. Can't put those losses on the Defense, or really the Offense let alone the QB....that is really why nobody lists the W/L ratio as a QB stat.

No..

disproved what lol

WIll you answer the question? Your only criteria is that it has to be on NFL.com/stats. That's your only criteria. So please... Answer the question or I think were done.
it's called the standings lol

No..

disproved what lol

Standings are a stat now? Ok. Agree to disagree. Moving on.
[ Edited by ItsX4Number6 on Jan 18, 2023 at 8:45 PM ]
  • thl408
Brock needs to get the green light to use his scrambling this DAL game. If they play man with no robber or spy, checkdown with his legs. He usually goes towards the sideline and out so he'll protect himself. He did make a smart slide in one game to get the first down and protect himself. DAL will no doubt man up on some key downs.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
love baldy lol

I bet BA stopped on that play because he thought it was going to Deebo and he was gonna block.

This looked like the same exact play that Deebo ran for a TD on Ayiuk's great block, but flipped.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

1st of all, this is a lie, and an entirely subjective statement,...as "everyone" doesn't "call" it anything.

The sites you mentioned are showing you their team's W/L record while they were the starting QB. Nothing else. That's a fact. @ the end of the games, the teams are recorded as the winner of the contest, not the QB/LB/TE etc. Another fact. Are you interested? Of course not.

Your interpretation of the records beyond that are entirely up to you. But it doesn't change anything above.

Can you go a whole day without trying to insult someone using the word "subjective?" Thanks.
I posted a few weeks ago (I think after Bucs game) about how long it'll take for the league to form a blueprint on Purdy, and so far it appears that they still haven't figured him out and by the time they do it might be too late. Kid is a winner!

3 more games left. Clock is ticking. Shanny/Purdy duo sneak attacking the league for a ring!
[ Edited by D0PEMAN on Jan 18, 2023 at 8:51 PM ]
  • thl408
I'd like to see Brock not default to spinning back from pressure. Sometimes that is the best move but not most of the time. The interior OL has been doing well on pass pro. Especially off playaction as that freezes the DTs.

No..

disproved what lol

Standings are a stat now? Ok. Agree to disagree. Moving on.
yes move on. This fallacy has been going on since 2005. You are not the first to be wrong at this.. and def won't be the last.
  • thl408
Brock seems to throw better to the left side of the field. This isn't typical for right handed QBs. I think it's a good thing since most defenses have their lesser CB at right CB (QB's left).
Originally posted by thl408:
Brock needs to get the green light to use his scrambling this DAL game. If they play man with no robber or spy, checkdown with his legs. He usually goes towards the sideline and out so he'll protect himself. He did make a smart slide in one game to get the first down and protect himself. DAL will no doubt man up on some key downs.
Who gave him the red light.. and why do we want Bock scrambling so much ?

Let Bock be Brock
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

The NFL doesn't record QBR either but certain posters love to cite it.
Originally posted by thl408:
Brock seems to throw better to the left side of the field. This isn't typical for right handed QBs. I think it's a good thing since most defenses have their lesser CB at right CB (QB's left).

I think teams are going to focus on this at some point and prevent him sliding and rolling left. Dating back to college it's a go-to move.
Share 49ersWebzone