49ers bounce back from consecutive losses with decisive 30-13 win over Patriots →

There are 358 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by thl408:
Brock needs to get the green light to use his scrambling this DAL game. If they play man with no robber or spy, checkdown with his legs. He usually goes towards the sideline and out so he'll protect himself. He did make a smart slide in one game to get the first down and protect himself. DAL will no doubt man up on some key downs.
Who gave him the red light.. and why do we want Bock scrambling so much ?

Let Bock be Brock

Because DAL defense could be susceptible to it. It's a gameplan specific adjustment to take advantage of the coverage. Not too much, but 3rd & 5ish, there's a lane, take it. Punish man covareage with no spy (two high safeties). Do this once and their pass rush needs to be more disciplined and that helps pass protection.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ItsX4Number6:
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Everyone calls w-l records a qb stat.

1st of all, this is a lie, and an entirely subjective statement,...as "everyone" doesn't "call" it anything

And even if they did, relying on what people "call" something admits that your argument is horribly flawed and flies right in the face of what u were arguing regarding "subjectivity."

I thought you were more interested in black and white facts?

There are about 22 guys contributing on both sides of the ball to your team's success. Not talking articles or clicks,....just talking reality. A corner blowing coverage twice can easily lead to a loss and 14 points the other way.

The fact is that wins and losses are a team stat, but do you see how fast you threw your lust for facts right out the window? I saw it coming a mile away.

My thesis is coming @ the end instead of the beginning,...but clearly, the evidence above shows that you gravitate to a couple numbers you like so you can make grandiose statements, whether they make sense or not. And you want to then use "numbers" to back them up because you can't argue "facts",...right?

If a guy is 50-10 as a starting QB, he's 50-10 as a starting QB. I hate to tell you this, but that is where the facts begin and end with that statement. No argument is included in it.

Nah a vast majority of people give wins to QBs. You guys are just being difficult imo. Just a quick Google of "QB wins" shows that it is a very very well known stat throughout all platforms of media. Even look at Super Bowls and how guys like Montana ad Brady are known for wins.
the NFL doesn't record team stats to individuals.

Thats why QB Ratings and QBR was created to try help determine QB play (which still has it flaws)

No..
where is the W/L record, https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/ ?

and tell me why QB Rating and QBR was created ?

Where's QBR on that link?
  • thl408
Brock seems to throw better to the left side of the field. This isn't typical for right handed QBs. I think it's a good thing since most defenses have their lesser CB at right CB (QB's left).

I think teams are going to focus on this at some point and prevent him sliding and rolling left. Dating back to college it's a go-to move.

If a team is going to combat this, it could be DAL. Put Parsons on McG. DE stay wide on Trent's side. If Parsons gets pressure and Brock flushes to his left, DE is there waiting to play contain.
Brock seems to throw better to the left side of the field. This isn't typical for right handed QBs. I think it's a good thing since most defenses have their lesser CB at right CB (QB's left).

I think teams are going to focus on this at some point and prevent him sliding and rolling left. Dating back to college it's a go-to move.

If a team is going to combat this, it could be DAL. Put Parsons on McG. DE stay wide on Trent's side. If Parsons gets pressure and Brock flushes to his left, DE is there waiting to play contain.

Shhhhh don't tell the world. Dallas might be reading the Webzone
And you can say this "half of brain" stuff about any stat. A player can have 150 yards 0 tds and play extremely well. A guy can have 400 yard 4 tds and most of it be in garbage time. Joe is the GOAT because he won games, and won SB's. Same for Brady.

Again... QB's, Pitchers, Goalies and other such positions have always been tied to w/l. You can disagree all you want with if they deserve it, i get your point, but to act like it's not a very commonly used stat throughout sports is as I said, just looking to be difficult.

Or let's ask the players once games are won? I've heard 100's of players, literally, say "We won the game" after -- you know -- team wins.

I've heard guys talk about championships they won years later but I've NEVER heard a player after a game say "I won the game." Why is that?

It seems to me that the thoughts of the players before and after wins and losses parallel the real NFL archives. Teams win,...and we can later discuss how much each player factored in in debate.

Sorry but no one here can reverse objective information and the guy I was replying to was on a "subjectivity sux" high horse. If this is the route we're taking, we have to be consistent then.

Because DAL defense could be susceptible to it. It's a gameplan specific adjustment to take advantage of the coverage. Not too much, but 3rd & 5ish, there's a lane, take it. Punish man covareage with no spy (two high safeties). Do this once and their pass rush needs to be more disciplined and that helps pass protection.

Absolutely. They've struggled against scrambling QBs. I find it more likely that they'll have someone spying McCaffrey and not Purdy. If he has an opening and they're just pinning their ears back and rushing, make them pay for it.
Watched the Dallas playoff game against the Niners last year again. Jimmy G was not accurate and drives repeatedly stalled. The only real TD drive was the opening drive. Then 3 FGs. We went to a run heavy play calling to hide Jimmy's poor passing, which kept Cowboy offense off the field, but failed to generate points. Another TD off a INT and then Deebo takin it to the house. Then Jimmy throws a boneheaded INT. Not to make this an anti-Jimmy post but Brock has made critical plays Jimmy did not. Repeatedly. This dynamic newfound passing game is opening up our running game as never before, and allows us to put away teams in the second half. Then you add CMC to the mix as well, spreading the defense horizontally and opening up the running game, for himself and Mitchell.
Originally posted by Furlow:

1st of all, this is a lie, and an entirely subjective statement,...as "everyone" doesn't "call" it anything

And even if they did, relying on what people "call" something admits that your argument is horribly flawed and flies right in the face of what u were arguing regarding "subjectivity."

There are about 22 guys contributing on both sides of the ball to your team's success. Not talking articles or clicks,....just talking reality. A corner blowing coverage twice can easily lead to a loss and 14 points the other way.

The fact is that wins and losses are a team stat, but do you see how fast you threw your lust for facts right out the window? I saw it coming a mile away.

My thesis is coming @ the end instead of the beginning,...but clearly, the evidence above shows that you gravitate to a couple numbers you like so you can make grandiose statements, whether they make sense or not. And you want to then use "numbers" to back them up because you can't argue "facts",...right?

If a guy is 50-10 as a starting QB, he's 50-10 as a starting QB. I hate to tell you this, but that is where the facts begin and end with that statement. No argument is included in it.

Nah a vast majority of people give wins to QBs. You guys are just being difficult imo. Just a quick Google of "QB wins" shows that it is a very very well known stat throughout all platforms of media. Even look at Super Bowls and how guys like Montana ad Brady are known for wins.

Thats why QB Ratings and QBR was created to try help determine QB play (which still has it flaws)

No..

OMG it's not there, what shall we do
Brock needs to get the green light to use his scrambling this DAL game. If they play man with no robber or spy, checkdown with his legs. He usually goes towards the sideline and out so he'll protect himself. He did make a smart slide in one game to get the first down and protect himself. DAL will no doubt man up on some key downs.

Let Bock be Brock

you trying to sabotage us, stick with what has been working. we don't need Brock taking extra hits just to gain a few yards as the gameplan
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

No..

I don't know, you tell us. You're the one that set the standard that the only "real" stats are on NFL.com.

• thl408

Let Bock be Brock

you trying to sabotage us, stick with what has been working. we don't need Brock taking extra hits just to gain a few yards as the gameplan

Yeah, you're right and I'm wrong.

No..

I don't know, you tell us. You're the one that set the standard that the only "real" stats are on NFL.com.
where did i say QBR has to be thee stat.. ?

if you read, i said that's why ratings and QBR were created to help with QB play.. not a stat

I thought he had some lanes but chose to stay put and look downfield instead against SEA.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

No..

if you read, i said that's why ratings and QBR were created to help with QB play.. not a stat

"the NFL doesn't record team stats to individuals.
Thats why QB Ratings and QBR was created to try help determine QB play (which still has it flaws)."

"where is the W/L record, https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/ ?
and tell me why QB Rating and QBR was created ?"

No..

"the NFL doesn't record team stats to individuals.
Thats why QB Ratings and QBR was created to try help determine QB play (which still has it flaws)."

"where is the W/L record, https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/ ?
and tell me why QB Rating and QBR was created ?"
is this supposed to be a gotcha moment, quoting why i said ratings were created lol ?
Share 49ersWebzone