There are 126 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Great discussion. They highlight what I've been observing as well. The meshing of Brock and Kyle is what is so special about what we're witnessing.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
OMG are you guys still bull s**tting on if W/L is a QB stat

Well 49erfaithful just settled it. It's in the NFL record book as an official stat for QB's.

Please guys. I know it's still football but perhaps create a separate thread for this?

Well the debate about W/L record is whether it's indicative of good/bad QB play. The general consensus (and the NFL makes it official) is that W/L record is a QB stat, and thus, can be used to make arguments about the merits of a particular QB. Perhaps the 2-3 posters who continue arguing that it's NOT a QB stat could finally capitulate and not derail QB threads anymore.

That's rich coming from you Furlow.

Not sure what you're referring to here, but I'm trying to keep it about football.
Can someone who isn't bias explain to me the knock on the kid's arm strength? I'm no means an expert but he seems to be pushing the ball just fine.
Originally posted by Youngone:
Can someone who isn't bias explain to me the knock on the kid's arm strength? I'm no means an expert but he seems to be pushing the ball just fine.

lol

His arm is just fine. You can win with what he has. Everybody always wants 6'4" 225 lbs. That's all it is.
Originally posted by boast:

lol

Hot take
Originally posted by swayze:
I personally hate all the showboating. All the little "shooting guns" or "shooting drugs" dances are so unprofessional and immature.

I think he should spend his time after touchdowns a little more productively, such as filing his taxes, investing his money wisely, or practicing good dental hygiene. It would set a good example for the young people watching as well

I have to disagree with you there. I think it is a testament to the kid's competitive nature. Jimmy would do the same thing, on a more modest scale, when he was on the field for a TD, whether it was his or someone else's. I think it is a good indication why the team gravitated to him the way they did, just as they are now gravitating towards Brock. Winning matters to both of them. It's not about their stats or how good they may look during the course of a game, it's about getting the win. Guys who care about winning are guys who teammates will follow, assuming of course that they have the necessary skills to help contribute to those outcomes. Being an uber competitive scrub who doesn't have the talent to get on the field probably isn't an ideal option, except in movies like Rudy I suppose,

He forgot to backpedel roll left and flick the wrist 55+ downfield on a line to the far hash at his pro day
[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Jan 19, 2023 at 10:36 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by ItsX4Number6:
Originally posted by ItsX4Number6:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Everyone calls w-l records a qb stat.

1st of all, this is a lie, and an entirely subjective statement,...as "everyone" doesn't "call" it anything

And even if they did, relying on what people "call" something admits that your argument is horribly flawed and flies right in the face of what u were arguing regarding "subjectivity."

I thought you were more interested in black and white facts?

There are about 22 guys contributing on both sides of the ball to your team's success. Not talking articles or clicks,....just talking reality. A corner blowing coverage twice can easily lead to a loss and 14 points the other way.

The fact is that wins and losses are a team stat, but do you see how fast you threw your lust for facts right out the window? I saw it coming a mile away.

My thesis is coming @ the end instead of the beginning,...but clearly, the evidence above shows that you gravitate to a couple numbers you like so you can make grandiose statements, whether they make sense or not. And you want to then use "numbers" to back them up because you can't argue "facts",...right?

If a guy is 50-10 as a starting QB, he's 50-10 as a starting QB. I hate to tell you this, but that is where the facts begin and end with that statement. No argument is included in it.

Nah a vast majority of people give wins to QBs. You guys are just being difficult imo. Just a quick Google of "QB wins" shows that it is a very very well known stat throughout all platforms of media. Even look at Super Bowls and how guys like Montana ad Brady are known for wins.
the NFL doesn't record team stats to individuals.

Thats why QB Ratings and QBR was created to try help determine QB play (which still has it flaws)

No..
where is the W/L record, https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/ ?

and tell me why QB Rating and QBR was created ?

Where's QBR on that link?
OMG it's not there, what shall we do

I don't know, you tell us. You're the one that set the standard that the only "real" stats are on NFL.com.
where did i say QBR has to be thee stat.. ?

if you read, i said that's why ratings and QBR were created to help with QB play.. not a stat

"the NFL doesn't record team stats to individuals.
Thats why QB Ratings and QBR was created to try help determine QB play (which still has it flaws)."

"where is the W/L record, https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/ ?
and tell me why QB Rating and QBR was created ?"
is this supposed to be a gotcha moment, quoting why i said ratings were created lol ?

You said that W/L isn't a stat for QB's, because NFL.com doesn't have it.

NFL.com does not have QBR either, yet you cite it regularly (and in this same argument).
so i can't say why Ratings were created ? because that is all i said

Oh cool you're trying to change the subject. K

W/L record is a a TEAM STAT.

W/L record as a starter is a QB stat, DL stat, OL stat, RB stat, etc.

No player in the NFL has a W/L record, though. Well maybe Gronk did and Kittle will because they're into that fake wrestling stuff.

There is W/L record as a participant and W/L record as a bench player that never entered the game as well. So what? Onlookers have the right to "record" whatever they want.

W/L record is still a team stat, and a team stat only. Until football rules gets rid of the other 20 players on the field, it will continue to be this way.

I mean do you want more myths?

It's not really year 2023, because the Earth is billions of yrs old.
Bulls don't really get mad when they "see" red, George Washington didnt really have wooden teeth, and bats aren't really blind.

I mean we can go on forever, lol.

Virtuslly all of the statistical record keepers in the NFL have tracked w-l for qbs and bot for any other players. Street and Smiths, Sporting News, Pro Football Weekly etc.

Your beef is with them.

It's not a team stat only. The NFL recognizes QB W/L record as an 'official' stat. It's in the NFL actual record book and fact guide from the league. QB is the only position the league does this.

Is it on NFL.com though?

It is. Record and facts. Food for the mind.

https://operations.nfl.com/updates/the-game/2022-nfl-record-and-fact-book/

I was poking fun at 49att. Last night he was saying W/L is not an official stat because it's not in NFL.com, so it shouldn't be used to rate QB play. But then he cited QBR to judge QB play, even though it's not on NFL.com either. Lol
again, you fail to comprehend. I'm not saying QBR is an official stat .. it's a rating to help with QB play...
Originally posted by boast:

lol

Yeah that was kinda my reaction when typing it but f**k it!

Originally posted by 49ers81:
I personally hate all the showboating. All the little "shooting guns" or "shooting drugs" dances are so unprofessional and immature.

I think he should spend his time after touchdowns a little more productively, such as filing his taxes, investing his money wisely, or practicing good dental hygiene. It would set a good example for the young people watching as well

I have to disagree with you there. I think it is a testament to the kid's competitive nature. Jimmy would do the same thing, on a more modest scale, when he was on the field for a TD, whether it was his or someone else's. I think it is a good indication why the team gravitated to him the way they did, just as they are now gravitating towards Brock. Winning matters to both of them. It's not about their stats or how good they may look during the course of a game, it's about getting the win. Guys who care about winning are guys who teammates will follow, assuming of course that they have the necessary skills to help contribute to those outcomes. Being an uber competitive scrub who doesn't have the talent to get on the field probably isn't an ideal option, except in movies like Rudy I suppose,

Ummmm
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

He forgot to backpedel roll left and flick the wrist 55+ downfield on a line to the far hash at his pro day

yeah, thank god he's not Zach Wilson, for sure. It's going to be interesting how Saleh is going to develop (or try to) Zach.

As for the Purdy arm strength, I go back to that dropped TD by Aiyuk in the corner endzone. Brock threw a Lazer to Aiyuk and he couldn't step into it because the DLineman was pursuing him and he was actually going, I think, sideways - had to stop, and reset, throw, and get hit. His arm is plenty strong. I'd say mid range to - if he continues to develop it - can get stronger.

Here's an article more to that point. https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/12/09/how-brock-purdy-was-built-from-undraftable-to-49ers-starter-daily-cover
[ Edited by Giedi on Jan 19, 2023 at 11:04 AM ]
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Oh boy. LoL. Only thing I can ration is that there are a handful here that miss that "Us. vs. Them" stuff from Jimmy's thread,...and are trying to recreate it here in this one, even though pretty much everyone is onboard and enjoying the postseason.

Admitting that he's not among the most talented QBs in the game has somehow became a crime, because, what else we gonna gripe and argue about?

You would've hated Montana if they had these charts on him, lol. His was probably like this one minus the 95th percentile on ten yard split.

I asked him previously to do Montana and Brady. It's amazing that people still think physical measurables equate to good QB play. It's such a simpleton argument.

Yea i'm also done with pro days. They don't mean crap anymore
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by 49ers81:

Ummmm

Something got lost in translation or went over the head here
Incomplete pass.. try your joke again swayze.. 81 dropped it
perhaps 81 is Lumberg

I just have this feeling that Purdy is going to be crisp out the gate. That we will score on our first four drives
Share 49ersWebzone