There are 161 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bmvanthiel:
Originally posted by Youngone:
Can someone who isn't bias explain to me the knock on the kid's arm strength? I'm no means an expert but he seems to be pushing the ball just fine.

If people weren't saying his arm strength is below average, I would have no idea. I haven't seen anything from the games he has played where I questioned his arm strength once.

Well it's not below average, it's average to slightly above. He worked with a QB coach prior to the draft and season and increased his throwing velocity from 50 mph to 55+ mph. 10% in one off season is significant, and I'd imagine he'll go back to that same QB coach (and bring his Super Bowl MVP trophy with him) after this season.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

my wife asked what BCB stood for…I told her and she said oh his poor mom has to see all those signs on game day 😂

Photo is invalid. No corndog.
Can someone who isn't bias explain to me the knock on the kid's arm strength? I'm no means an expert but he seems to be pushing the ball just fine.

My view is that it's a skewed comparison to guys like Mahomes, Allan and Herbert who can launch it 60 yards on a rope at the far end of their range.

Brock's arm strength looks normal for a QB to me I that he can launch it accurately, with velocity, about 40-50 yards which is all you need. Rematch the Seahawks WC game and look at his deeper throws, like the post that Aiyuk gave up on.

His arm strength is fine, just not top tier, and pundits need to criticise something to justify why they ignored him and he wasn't rated higher in the draft.
[ Edited by Buchy on Jan 19, 2023 at 12:29 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

my wife asked what BCB stood for…I told her and she said oh his poor mom has to see all those signs on game day 😂

Ain't nothing bad about BCB.. Bomb Cyclone Brock
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by NCommand:

Ain't nothing bad about BCB.. Bomb Cyclone Brock

Should be Building the Purfect Quarterback

Love it!!!
Both throws to Jennings (the missed TD incompletion and the missed TD completion) showed that he is lacking arm strength compared to the elite throwers. (I know that the main issue on the 1st one was timing, he still could've lead Jennings to the back pylon and scored.) Also, he needs to set his feet and can't throw on the run (at least not much farther than to the los) like this year's top qbs.

His decision making, awareness and feel for the game is what sets him apart, not his (lack of) arm talent.
Originally posted by Furlow:

If people weren't saying his arm strength is below average, I would have no idea. I haven't seen anything from the games he has played where I questioned his arm strength once.

Well it's not below average, it's average to slightly above. He worked with a QB coach prior to the draft and season and increased his throwing velocity from 50 mph to 55+ mph. 10% in one off season is significant, and I'd imagine he'll go back to that same QB coach (and bring his Super Bowl MVP trophy with him) after this season.

Nice info! And that's good to hear on the improvement he was able to make
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Buchy:

My view is that it's a skewed comparison to guys like Mahomes, Allan and Herbert who can launch it 60 yards on a rope at the far end of their range.

Brock's arm strength looks normal for a QB to me I that he can launch it accurately, with velocity, about 40-50 yards which is all you need. Rematch the Seahawks WC game and look at his deeper throws, like the post that Aiyuk gave up on.

His arm strength is fine, just not top tier, and pundits need to criticise something to justify why they ignored him and he wasn't rated higher in the draft.

Agree 💯 %, and I'll just add that both Brock and Trey are mobile. Well, a lot more mobile than Jimmy. Point being their ability to run also is a *hybrid* kind of talent that makes both QB's (Brock and Trey) to be dual threat players just like Juszczyk and Kittle, Deebo, CMC, etc... Not so much positionless football from the QB standpoint. I don't want either QB to be running any sort of QB power or related plays like that. But on 3rd and shorts, they both have the footspeed to convert on 3rd downs if the defense drops 8 men in coverage, for example. A mobile QB just gives Kyle an unfair offensive advantage given he already has multiple stacked hybrid players that can block, catch and run.

Originally posted by Furlow:

I remember when John Elway was said to have thrown a recorded 70mph football, it was a really big deal at the time, and of course Jeff George arm was legend and rumored to be pushing 80...but back then MPH was not a standardized test. If Jeff George's arm was ever tested I was never able to find it.

The combine record...I think......is 62 mph will all kinds of rumors and private works for guys like Mahomes and Allen falling between 62 and 69.

Sports Science had Drew Brees at 52 mph for reference...

There are tons of testing variables that matter, and the equipment matters, chrono vs radar gun, versus Doppler, versus LiDAR....it all matters because you are measuring not just point A to point B, you have elevation and descent, wobble or Yaw and rotation at play as well. With any projectile you also have drag in play...or to put it simply how the balls orientation allows it to retain velocity at different points of flight.

To give a real world example...you could have a ball with a really tight spiral rotating, on a flatter trajectory have it's speed show up at 62 mph on a gun, but its point A to Point B on a chrono was 56mph, because that instrument does not care about its rotational speed, or its up and down speed, its leech or side to side drift speed...only its point A to Point B speed.

Then as we all know, a 10-15 yard pass really goes 20-30 yards.... that is a very different throw to a high heat quick slant with a WR coming back to the QB. Taking the speed of two types of passes is never going to be the same. In the real world the slant pass's rotational speed, climb speed and drift speed that would show up on Radar simply do not matter.

depending on what you read, you can get tons of different answers for what the AVERAGE NFL ball speed is. Most places report 60 MPH...and I find that kind of odd considering what the combine actual reports....but who knows.

Brock's 55 mph is fine...it would be Fine if they said 50 mph..we know this because we can see he is an effective passer. More importantly, he throws a pretty pass. We know he has enough rotation to maintain velocity deeper down the field. I have no idea how they tested him, I have little idea how they tested most of these guys or what circumstances they tested under. So I don't think MPH is truly Apples to Apples for a lot of the stuff we see reported.

Considering how much we were led to expect a softer arm QB....I was blown away by Brock's first fast ball to Kittle... it Looked like Elway-lite on that throw. That might not be a repeatable throw over distance, but for a 7 yard pass it was HIGHLY functional.

Brock has a 100% functional NFL arm.
BCB's 247 profile from high school, just a moderately rated 3 star and the 36th ranked pro style QB, not even a top 300 recruit!

Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
BCB's 247 profile from high school, just a moderately rated 3 star and the 36th ranked pro style QB, not even a top 300 recruit!

that's cool though, shows that he worked his ass off
The knock on him was size and army strength. He's improved the army strength to average. But army strength isn't as big of a deal when you anticipate windows and get the ball out early. Which he does.

Meanwhile his Dad: "He got it from me"
Share 49ersWebzone