There are 129 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by bmvanthiel:
Originally posted by Youngone:
Can someone who isn't bias explain to me the knock on the kid's arm strength? I'm no means an expert but he seems to be pushing the ball just fine.

If people weren't saying his arm strength is below average, I would have no idea. I haven't seen anything from the games he has played where I questioned his arm strength once.

Well it's not below average, it's average to slightly above. He worked with a QB coach prior to the draft and season and increased his throwing velocity from 50 mph to 55+ mph. 10% in one off season is significant, and I'd imagine he'll go back to that same QB coach (and bring his Super Bowl MVP trophy with him) after this season.

Good post Furlow. No doubt he'll go back, he hears all the criticism that we do and lack of arm strength been a criticism of his for awhile. He knows it's one of the reasons he dropped in the draft and no doubt in my mind he can improve it further; he's still a kid in his rookie season!

Brock's got some quads on him…mini Bosa
Originally posted by Buchy:
Can someone who isn't bias explain to me the knock on the kid's arm strength? I'm no means an expert but he seems to be pushing the ball just fine.

My view is that it's a skewed comparison to guys like Mahomes, Allan and Herbert who can launch it 60 yards on a rope at the far end of their range.

Brock's arm strength looks normal for a QB to me I that he can launch it accurately, with velocity, about 40-50 yards which is all you need. Rematch the Seahawks WC game and look at his deeper throws, like the post that Aiyuk gave up on.

His arm strength is fine, just not top tier, and pundits need to criticise something to justify why they ignored him and he wasn't rated higher in the draft.

Right, people are so infatuated with a super strong arm - and they're fun, but not necessary. He doesn't have a weak arm but he doesn't have a strong arm either. He has a solid arm and great mechanics that compliment it.

Montana, Brady, Bree's, manning, etc. none of them have an arm like Mahommes, Allen, or Herbert.

Fair weather fans just want everything to be beautiful and exciting in this violent sport. Lol I just want to win a championship.
Originally posted by 49ers808:

If people weren't saying his arm strength is below average, I would have no idea. I haven't seen anything from the games he has played where I questioned his arm strength once.

Well it's not below average, it's average to slightly above. He worked with a QB coach prior to the draft and season and increased his throwing velocity from 50 mph to 55+ mph. 10% in one off season is significant, and I'd imagine he'll go back to that same QB coach (and bring his Super Bowl MVP trophy with him) after this season.

Good post Furlow. No doubt he'll go back, he hears all the criticism that we do and lack of arm strength been a criticism of his for awhile. He knows it's one of the reasons he dropped in the draft and no doubt in my mind he can improve it further; he's still a kid in his rookie season!

Just to add to Furlow's post - he accomplished the 10% increase by improving his mechanics and doing unique workouts that improved his strength and conditioning for muscles and motions that QBs go through in a game.

he also improved his arm angels and release because of
his improved mechanics. If you watch the Miami game. When he is being blitzed by a free rusher and gets it off to kittle over the middle - he probably doesn't make that throw fast enough if he didn't do that training after his senior year and the draft.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Jan 19, 2023 at 1:45 PM ]

His arm strength is avg, is what it is…it was much worse in college, but he worked on it and it actually has improved there. Not sure there's much more you can improve upon though.

Dak's arm talent is subpar all the same and he got paid a f**k ton. It's not the end all be all..it's a trait I like personally, especially if you're gonna invest in a high end rookie. Brock brings other things to the table.
Originally posted by tankle104:
Just to add to Furlow's post - he accomplished the 10% increase by improving his mechanics and doing unique workouts that improved his strength and conditioning for muscles and motions that QBs go through in a game.

his improved mechanics. If you watch the Miami game. When he is being blitzed by a free rusher and gets it off to kittle over the middle - he probably doesn't make that throw fast enough if he didn't do that training after his senior year and the draft.

Were you getting the 10% increase from? I'm seeing he added 5 MPH to his throws which is substantial. I just don't know where you got 10% from?

This article breaks it all down

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/12/09/how-brock-purdy-was-built-from-undraftable-to-49ers-starter-daily-cover

not sure how much improvement can be made there, which is whatever. It's never gonna be about arm strength with Brock.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Were you getting the 10% increase from? I'm seeing he added 5 MPH to his throws which is substantial. I just don't know where you got 10% from?

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/12/09/how-brock-purdy-was-built-from-undraftable-to-49ers-starter-daily-cover

not sure how much improvement can be made there, which is whatever. It's never gonna be about arm strength with Brock.

I think he's saying 50 to 55 is 10% increase in velocity.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dshearn:

I remember when John Elway was said to have thrown a recorded 70mph football, it was a really big deal at the time, and of course Jeff George arm was legend and rumored to be pushing 80...but back then MPH was not a standardized test. If Jeff George's arm was ever tested I was never able to find it.

The combine record...I think......is 62 mph will all kinds of rumors and private works for guys like Mahomes and Allen falling between 62 and 69.

Sports Science had Drew Brees at 52 mph for reference...

There are tons of testing variables that matter, and the equipment matters, chrono vs radar gun, versus Doppler, versus LiDAR....it all matters because you are measuring not just point A to point B, you have elevation and descent, wobble or Yaw and rotation at play as well. With any projectile you also have drag in play...or to put it simply how the balls orientation allows it to retain velocity at different points of flight.

To give a real world example...you could have a ball with a really tight spiral rotating, on a flatter trajectory have it's speed show up at 62 mph on a gun, but its point A to Point B on a chrono was 56mph, because that instrument does not care about its rotational speed, or its up and down speed, its leech or side to side drift speed...only its point A to Point B speed.

Then as we all know, a 10-15 yard pass really goes 20-30 yards.... that is a very different throw to a high heat quick slant with a WR coming back to the QB. Taking the speed of two types of passes is never going to be the same. In the real world the slant pass's rotational speed, climb speed and drift speed that would show up on Radar simply do not matter.

depending on what you read, you can get tons of different answers for what the AVERAGE NFL ball speed is. Most places report 60 MPH...and I find that kind of odd considering what the combine actual reports....but who knows.

Brock's 55 mph is fine...it would be Fine if they said 50 mph..we know this because we can see he is an effective passer. More importantly, he throws a pretty pass. We know he has enough rotation to maintain velocity deeper down the field. I have no idea how they tested him, I have little idea how they tested most of these guys or what circumstances they tested under. So I don't think MPH is truly Apples to Apples for a lot of the stuff we see reported.

Considering how much we were led to expect a softer arm QB....I was blown away by Brock's first fast ball to Kittle... it Looked like Elway-lite on that throw. That might not be a repeatable throw over distance, but for a 7 yard pass it was HIGHLY functional.

Brock has a 100% functional NFL arm.

GREAT info, damn. I agree 100% about his arm strength being "fine." He can throw a deep out from the opposite hash - that's the hardest throw in the NFL to make. Everything else is about timing and accuracy, which he excels at. If his arm strength is a little better than Brees but not as good as Mahomes, then that's all he needs.

As far as his work with the QB coach, from what I read it was as much about making his throwing mechanics as efficient as possible as it was increasing his throwing velocity. The coach was quoted as saying that he wasn't taking full advantage of his strong legs, so combined with his relatively shorter arms, he had room for more efficiency. The added velocity was a bonus.

It's a great read:
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I think he's saying 50 to 55 is 10% increase in velocity.

Yes.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

His arm strength is avg, is what it is…it was much worse in college, but he worked on it and it actually has improved there. Not sure there's much more you can improve upon though.

Dak's arm talent is subpar all the same and he got paid a f**k ton. It's not the end all be all..it's a trait I like personally, especially if you're gonna invest in a high end rookie. Brock brings other things to the table.

NFL average is 54-55 MPH. Hewlett got him up to 55-56 MPH. Hence me saying "average to slightly above."

"Quantifiably, Hewlett said that Purdy's throwing velocity improved by nearly five miles per hour after his work with the throwing coach. On average, NFL quarterbacks reach 54-55 miles per hour on their throws, but Purdy was only throwing about 50-51 miles per hour when he came into the throwing program."

"After the improvement to his mechanics and motion, Hewlett mentioned that Purdy was able to increase that to 55-56 miles per hour — which was noticeable during his Pro Day, which was scripted by Hewlett."
https://www.ninersnation.com/2022/12/14/23509567/san-francisco-49ers-brock-purdy-throwing-coach-will-hewlett-transformed-game

My favorite excerpt from the article that you and I both posted:

"Why are we wasting so much pain and effort in finding quarterbacks who look like Josh Allen or Patrick Mahomes, when they are harder to find than a humble Twitter account? Why are we assuming that someone like Purdy can't get better, good enough to feed the glut of talent at the position currently blooming across football?

This theory ignores what Hewlett and Gormely both brought up independently, that Purdy is himself a special kind of outlier in his own right, and possesses the kind of intelligence and leadership abilities that allow him to climb into this position in the first place. Indeed, 49ers tackle Trent Williams told a reporter this week of Purdy: "You would think he's Peyton Manning or something" given the comfort with which he goes after far more experienced, veteran teammates."

NFL average is 54-55 MPH. Hewlett got him up to 55-56 MPH. Hence me saying "average to slightly above."

"Quantifiably, Hewlett said that Purdy's throwing velocity improved by nearly five miles per hour after his work with the throwing coach. On average, NFL quarterbacks reach 54-55 miles per hour on their throws, but Purdy was only throwing about 50-51 miles per hour when he came into the throwing program."

"After the improvement to his mechanics and motion, Hewlett mentioned that Purdy was able to increase that to 55-56 miles per hour — which was noticeable during his Pro Day, which was scripted by Hewlett."
https://www.ninersnation.com/2022/12/14/23509567/san-francisco-49ers-brock-purdy-throwing-coach-will-hewlett-transformed-game

"Why are we wasting so much pain and effort in finding quarterbacks who look like Josh Allen or Patrick Mahomes, when they are harder to find than a humble Twitter account? Why are we assuming that someone like Purdy can't get better, good enough to feed the glut of talent at the position currently blooming across football?

This theory ignores what Hewlett and Gormely both brought up independently, that Purdy is himself a special kind of outlier in his own right, and possesses the kind of intelligence and leadership abilities that allow him to climb into this position in the first place. Indeed, 49ers tackle Trent Williams told a reporter this week of Purdy: "You would think he's Peyton Manning or something" given the comfort with which he goes after far more experienced, veteran teammates."

I read it and already posted it a while back, it's very interesting article.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jan 19, 2023 at 2:35 PM ]
Originally posted by RocketMan:
Watched the Dallas playoff game against the Niners last year again. Jimmy G was not accurate and drives repeatedly stalled. The only real TD drive was the opening drive. Then 3 FGs. We went to a run heavy play calling to hide Jimmy's poor passing, which kept Cowboy offense off the field, but failed to generate points. Another TD off a INT and then Deebo takin it to the house. Then Jimmy throws a boneheaded INT. Not to make this an anti-Jimmy post but Brock has made critical plays Jimmy did not. Repeatedly. This dynamic newfound passing game is opening up our running game as never before, and allows us to put away teams in the second half. Then you add CMC to the mix as well, spreading the defense horizontally and opening up the running game, for himself and Mitchell.

It's blatantly obvious the difference Kyle has in his emboldened confidence in Brock vs lack of confidence in Jimmy. So many throws 10-20+ yards down the field with Brock vs Jimmy's behind and at the LOS throws.

That is the first time I have seen the full quote.

So Is that 54/55 number from Hewlett?

I have seen so many numbers thrown out there for average NFL ball speed, and none of the stuff I have seen show the criteria for the quoted speed. We don't know what throw is being measured. The distance of that throw, how the measurement was taken ETC.

If that is all from Hewlett at least it is likely a baseline with similar testing criteria.

It definitely passes the smell test at least, Purdy's average throw does look NFL average, but I can't just dismiss what I have seen. When Purdy put's heat on the short yardage tight window throws, they simply do not look "average" to me. They absolutely look like B or B+ fastballs to me.

Another thing..... I get Purdy spent a lot of time on his base and mechanics with all the talk about his hips and driving on the ball, but even Purdy's off balance or throwing in motion stuff looks effective. Just his raw arm stuff looks at least NFL average compared to what we see other QBs do off balance.

I dunno, I think my problem is me. I drank the cool-aid about the weak arm and found justification with his almost un-drafted status....only to later actually watch him play in games and really....reallly....feel like we or least I....was misled about this Purdy guy. He has an NFL arm for sure.
Originally posted by Garce:
Originally posted by RocketMan:
Watched the Dallas playoff game against the Niners last year again. Jimmy G was not accurate and drives repeatedly stalled. The only real TD drive was the opening drive. Then 3 FGs. We went to a run heavy play calling to hide Jimmy's poor passing, which kept Cowboy offense off the field, but failed to generate points. Another TD off a INT and then Deebo takin it to the house. Then Jimmy throws a boneheaded INT. Not to make this an anti-Jimmy post but Brock has made critical plays Jimmy did not. Repeatedly. This dynamic newfound passing game is opening up our running game as never before, and allows us to put away teams in the second half. Then you add CMC to the mix as well, spreading the defense horizontally and opening up the running game, for himself and Mitchell.

It's blatantly obvious the difference Kyle has in his emboldened confidence in Brock vs lack of confidence in Jimmy. So many throws 10-20+ yards down the field with Brock vs Jimmy's behind and at the LOS throws.

Screen passes have gone down 3% and playaction has gone up 5%. Intermediate passes have gone up 2.0% and deep passes have gone up 2.5%. Purdy is now at 11.5% on deep passes and 21% on the intermediate.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dshearn:

That is the first time I have seen the full quote.

So Is that 54/55 number from Hewlett?

I have seen so many numbers thrown out there for average NFL ball speed, and none of the stuff I have seen show the criteria for the quoted speed. We don't know what throw is being measured. The distance of that throw, how the measurement was taken ETC.

If that is all from Hewlett at least it is likely a baseline with similar testing criteria.

It definitely passes the smell test at least, Purdy's average throw does look NFL average, but I can't just dismiss what I have seen. When Purdy put's heat on the short yardage tight window throws, they simply do not look "average" to me. They absolutely look like B or B+ fastballs to me.

Another thing..... I get Purdy spent a lot of time on his base and mechanics with all the talk about his hips and driving on the ball, but even Purdy's off balance or throwing in motion stuff looks effective. Just his raw arm stuff looks at least NFL average compared to what we see other QBs do off balance.

I dunno, I think my problem is me. I drank the cool-aid about the weak arm and found justification with his almost un-drafted status....only to later actually watch him play in games and really....reallly....feel like we or least I....was misled about this Purdy guy. He has an NFL arm for sure.

Well in Hewlett/Purdy's case, he measured Purdy before/after using the same metrics and he came away with a 10% improvement. As for his claim about the average, it's backed up by combine numbers:
https://www.ourlads.com/story/default/Quarterback-Ball-Velocity-at-NFL-Combine-2008-2017/10243/dh/

I agree there is no perfect standard for measuring this. But I think we can all agree that in no way does Purdy have a "weak" arm, nor should we be wasting time wishing it was stronger. He can make all of the throws that he needs to make.
Share 49ersWebzone