There are 130 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I still look forward to seeing him rip a "bomb", let it out 60+ yards in the air... i expect he will have good touch and arc on these
[ Edited by riverrunzthruit on Jan 19, 2023 at 3:00 PM ]
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by Garce:
Originally posted by RocketMan:
Watched the Dallas playoff game against the Niners last year again. Jimmy G was not accurate and drives repeatedly stalled. The only real TD drive was the opening drive. Then 3 FGs. We went to a run heavy play calling to hide Jimmy's poor passing, which kept Cowboy offense off the field, but failed to generate points. Another TD off a INT and then Deebo takin it to the house. Then Jimmy throws a boneheaded INT. Not to make this an anti-Jimmy post but Brock has made critical plays Jimmy did not. Repeatedly. This dynamic newfound passing game is opening up our running game as never before, and allows us to put away teams in the second half. Then you add CMC to the mix as well, spreading the defense horizontally and opening up the running game, for himself and Mitchell.

It's blatantly obvious the difference Kyle has in his emboldened confidence in Brock vs lack of confidence in Jimmy. So many throws 10-20+ yards down the field with Brock vs Jimmy's behind and at the LOS throws.

Screen passes have gone down 3% and playaction has gone up 5%. Intermediate passes have gone up 2.0% and deep passes have gone up 2.5%. Purdy is now at 11.5% on deep passes and 21% on the intermediate.

And for context, IIRC, another above 9% is on the extreme end. So
Wonder if Shanny takes a shot with Danny Gray this week. They hit 20 yard crossers all day last week, Dallas may cheat up their safeties to take that away. We know Danny can fly
Googles AI chat bot LaMDA weights in on BCB and the game:

Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
Googles AI chat bot LaMDA weights in on BCB and the game:

Now the real test would be asking 'will the Cowboys beat the 49ers'. If she responds the Cowboys will because, then we have defeated her logic.
[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Jan 19, 2023 at 3:21 PM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Were you getting the 10% increase from? I'm seeing he added 5 MPH to his throws which is substantial. I just don't know where you got 10% from?

This article breaks it all down

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/12/09/how-brock-purdy-was-built-from-undraftable-to-49ers-starter-daily-cover

not sure how much improvement can be made there, which is whatever. It's never gonna be about arm strength with Brock.

He increased his throws from 50 MPH to 55MPH. 5 is 10% of 50.
  • 91til
  • Veteran
Originally posted by goatroppolo:
Wonder if Shanny takes a shot with Danny Gray this week. They hit 20 yard crossers all day last week, Dallas may cheat up their safeties to take that away. We know Danny can fly

Was thinking this. It's coming, why not this week? Especially knowing Diggs likes to cheat and they're starting a backup on the other side AND now Kearse is gonna be out supposedly so that's another backup on the back end
Last year, Diggs had a bunch of picks but he gave us a ton of big plays - is he doing that this year too?

oops wrong thread.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Jan 19, 2023 at 3:36 PM ]

Brock's got some quads on him…mini Bosa

Lol yeah, I noticed that at the Raiders game. I was pretty close to where they did the warm ups and saw Brock doing some leg work & was like dayum, solid. Definitely a mini Bosa lol.
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by bmvanthiel:
Originally posted by Youngone:
Can someone who isn't bias explain to me the knock on the kid's arm strength? I'm no means an expert but he seems to be pushing the ball just fine.

If people weren't saying his arm strength is below average, I would have no idea. I haven't seen anything from the games he has played where I questioned his arm strength once.

Well it's not below average, it's average to slightly above. He worked with a QB coach prior to the draft and season and increased his throwing velocity from 50 mph to 55+ mph. 10% in one off season is significant, and I'd imagine he'll go back to that same QB coach (and bring his Super Bowl MVP trophy with him) after this season.

Good post Furlow. No doubt he'll go back, he hears all the criticism that we do and lack of arm strength been a criticism of his for awhile. He knows it's one of the reasons he dropped in the draft and no doubt in my mind he can improve it further; he's still a kid in his rookie season!

His arm strength is avg, is what it is…it was much worse in college, but he worked on it and it actually has improved there. Not sure there's much more you can improve upon though.

Dak's arm talent is subpar all the same and he got paid a f**k ton. It's not the end all be all..it's a trait I like personally, especially if you're gonna invest in a high end rookie. Brock brings other things to the table.

Yup agree with this too NY. Not really debatable that he doesn't possess an elite arm as far as arm strength goes but it's okay. People don't need to get all defensive about that lol.

• Koldo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:
Were you getting the 10% increase from? I'm seeing he added 5 MPH to his throws which is substantial. I just don't know where you got 10% from?

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/12/09/how-brock-purdy-was-built-from-undraftable-to-49ers-starter-daily-cover

not sure how much improvement can be made there, which is whatever. It's never gonna be about arm strength with Brock.

Maths is tough.

Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
This youtuber is a Denver fan, but his overall NFL videos are funny (plus he s**ts on his own team and that gremlin Russell.) Love his take on Brock:

"In a sign of respect for his elders, Brock allowed JJ Watt to sack him twice."

This is awesome!! LMBO!!
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by goatroppolo:

I sure hope not. I would rather McCloud or someone else run 100% of the routes that Gray might otherwise. We need reliability out there, not question marks.
[ Edited by Disp on Jan 19, 2023 at 4:12 PM ]
Originally posted by Mankster:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
This youtuber is a Denver fan, but his overall NFL videos are funny (plus he s**ts on his own team and that gremlin Russell.) Love his take on Brock:

"In a sign of respect for his elders, Brock allowed JJ Watt to sack him twice."

This is awesome!! LMBO!!

That was very entertaining and this guy gets it!
Originally posted by Koldo:
Originally posted by tankle104:

Maths is tough.

Haha cut the guy some slack. He was probably looking for where "10%" was stated in the article. No biggie.
Share 49ersWebzone