There are 149 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Andra:
Originally posted by Goatie:
The latest conspiracy rumor is that Purdy really wanted to be drafted by the 49ers and made out his arm wasn't that strong so he wouldn't be picked until the 7th round knowing SF didn't have any high picks.

Are you the person who created this conspiracy theory

He's channeling his "inner-NC"
Originally posted by Goatie:
Originally posted by ninerjok:
At what point do people realize continuing to incessantly repeat that he's a 7th round pick (or Mr. Irrelevant) doesn't even f**king matter anymore. It's so damn stupid. By people I mean all the idiotic football "analysts".

The latest conspiracy rumor is that Purdy really wanted to be drafted by the 49ers and made out his arm wasn't that strong so he wouldn't be picked until the 7th round knowing SF didn't have any high picks.

lol that's not real is it? One of the other 31 teams could have swooped him up just as easily at some point
You know how people say 40 is the new 20? Well 7th round is the new 1st baby
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
He is not just playing good football. He is playing elite football. To put things into perspective. In Purdy's 1st 6 career starts he has a higher YPA than Tua, a higher passer rating than Tua (both lead the NFL) and in a 17 game season would have nearly as many passing TD's as Mahomes but with 210 less pass attempts. Mahomes has 41 TD's on the season at a rate of 6.3%. Above 6.0% TD rate is elite. Brock is up over 9.0%. This s**t is unreal. And seems almost too good to be true. Purdy & Shanahan are a match made in heaven.

Nailed it.

Amazing, but very real. BP is elusive, smart, experienced, and poised. Shanny is a mad tailor who brings out a custom-made game plan that fits BP like a glove. The relentlessly disruptive defense disheartens the bruised and weary opponents. The reality of this team will hit the Cowboys in the forehead.
  • Ruixx
  • Veteran
The funny thing is if anyone understands why people would hate on Purdy, it is Niners fans. It's exactly how I felt watching Russell Wilson beat down on the Niners for a decade thinking, ok this guy cannot possibly be doing this- he's too small, how can he not be getting sacked, how does he keep getting away, he shouldn't be able to complete those passes he is making, etc. Just infuriating.
I got to say, it's really fun being on the other side of it and even more thoroughly enjoyable as I know exactly why opposing fans are dogging this guy- jealously plain and simple. And they can try to throw up all these numbers or whatever but the point is that Purdy doesn't fit the structure of a standard QB, it doesn't make sense that a 7th rounder who isn't tall can do what he's doing and it's absolutely p*ssing people off. I love it.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Brock Purdy in his 1st 6 career starts has averaged 9.3 YPA with a 9.1 TD%. That is 14 TD passes in 154 pass attempts. In those 6 starts he has a 122.3 passer rating.

That is just unreal!

His quick short area quickness and the Kyle Shanahan boot play action offense is more than the sum of the parts. When the DLine gets quick pressure on the QB because the play fake doesn't fool them, Brock's quickness can buy time to find a reciever, avoid a sack loss, or gain positive yardage anyway.

I think one reason that Brock's been successful on left side passes is Trent Williams. On those play action boots, Big Trent can handle a DE not fooled by the play action, I'm thinking McGlinchy may not be as adept when Brock boots to his side.
Originally posted by Furlow:
NFL average is 54-55 MPH. Hewlett got him up to 55-56 MPH. Hence me saying "average to slightly above."

"Quantifiably, Hewlett said that Purdy's throwing velocity improved by nearly five miles per hour after his work with the throwing coach. On average, NFL quarterbacks reach 54-55 miles per hour on their throws, but Purdy was only throwing about 50-51 miles per hour when he came into the throwing program."

"After the improvement to his mechanics and motion, Hewlett mentioned that Purdy was able to increase that to 55-56 miles per hour — which was noticeable during his Pro Day, which was scripted by Hewlett."
https://www.ninersnation.com/2022/12/14/23509567/san-francisco-49ers-brock-purdy-throwing-coach-will-hewlett-transformed-game

My favorite excerpt from the article that you and I both posted:

"Why are we wasting so much pain and effort in finding quarterbacks who look like Josh Allen or Patrick Mahomes, when they are harder to find than a humble Twitter account? Why are we assuming that someone like Purdy can't get better, good enough to feed the glut of talent at the position currently blooming across football?

This theory ignores what Hewlett and Gormely both brought up independently, that Purdy is himself a special kind of outlier in his own right, and possesses the kind of intelligence and leadership abilities that allow him to climb into this position in the first place. Indeed, 49ers tackle Trent Williams told a reporter this week of Purdy: "You would think he's Peyton Manning or something" given the comfort with which he goes after far more experienced, veteran teammates."
https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/12/09/how-brock-purdy-was-built-from-undraftable-to-49ers-starter-daily-cover

Great article, explains the improvement well in a way I understand.

Thanks!
Brock Purdy is a blend of JG and Trey Lance best traits

He may not have the same ceiling for those traits but his overall combination of QB traits is higher as a sum of all parts

-Quick release
much better than Trey here...maybe equal to JG and that is quite a compliment bc quick release is JGs greatest strength as a QB

-Short area quickness and pocket scrambling
much better than JG here and slightly better than Trey

-Arm strength
Better than JG

-Experience and poise
Odd to list for a rookie but his 4 years as a starter clearly show up on the field with the little things he does.
much better than trey here and i would say JG too. JG does boneheaded s**t and never threw the ball away. Purdy had more throw aways in his 1st game v MIA than JG had total for the year
Originally posted by Silky:
You know how people say 40 is the new 20? Well 7th round is the new 1st baby

49ers should just skip the first three rounds lol.

since when does ESPN hate us?? Lol they post this and then also predicting the cowboys have a 53% chance to beat us.
  • thl408
Originally posted by tankle104:

You can have 70k Twitter followers AND not know wtf you're taking about.
"who the fook is that guy?"

There's nothing elite physically and arm strength with Brady, yet the dude has more SB than any elite qb. Same with Montana. As long as they can play the game, and get the ball to where they needed, they can be winners and HOFers

This guy just HAS to read this forum.

But spot on.
Originally posted by thl408:

You can have 70k Twitter followers AND not know wtf you're taking about.
"who the fook is that guy?"

Hahaha I have no idea. I honestly don't have a Twitter. I just see these online and share them with the zone when I think it's funny/interesting.
Share 49ersWebzone