LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 294 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:

So I guess it's official that Brock is out for OROY. Olave, Wilson and Walker finalists. We all knew it

I guess the league prefers mediocrity over great accomplishments. Lol

i don't think people realize that a RB or WR breaking 1k yards - is only them getting 55 yards a game. Lol yeah! Let's reward those very average performances!

The only argument "these guys played very average for more games! So they deserve it! Idc if you did more in your small sample size and things that have never been done! You need more games!" Lmao

When I hear the games played - I think "so Purdy accomplished historic things in 6 games. So they only did average to mediocre things in more than twice as many games? That doesn't sound award winning?"

Honestly, I don't think anyone deserves it besides Purdy. If you compare other offensive rookies of the year to this year - it's a joke. It waters down the award. If they don't think Purdy qualifies because of the games played -
They should just tell this years rookies to be better and not give it to anyone. You should have to EARN it. I hate this whole "give awards to any and everyone".

Its a joke.

I realized it's a joke when a kicker won MVP and no WR ever has including Jerry Rice.. some kicker out there sitting around with more NFL MVPs than Jerry Rice lol
Originally posted by Koldo:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Purdy turned out to be the parting gift.

Baalke, a true 49ers legend.

I remember back when Smash Mouth got all defensive over him. Made me wonder if a band member was a family member.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
I realized it's a joke when a kicker won MVP and no WR ever has including Jerry Rice.. some kicker out there sitting around with more NFL MVPs than Jerry Rice lol

What in the world did a kicker do to win the nfl mvp??
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Keep it Brock steady.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
You know what's weird? Everyone I know who is a Niner fan (which is a lot - coming from Northern California) absolutely loves Purdy and is excited for him.

I've never met anyone in person who was actually excited and truly believed in Lance. Lol going back to when we drafted him. They're always how I am, optimistic, but not really expecting too much. Lol I only see it on here.

i hope both have great careers. I hope both never have injuries.

regardless, both will be super bowl champions - after Purdy leads us to the promise land after this year. 😈😈

He was kind of a reach and inexperienced. Versus Purdy who was very experienced in College. If they wanted an athletic QB it was Fields. I never really understood how Lance is better than Fields? At what? I can't think of anything.

Lance is better at the mental parts of quarterbacking than Fields. But he's still a tick slow in going from "see it, throw it," and has serious accuracy issues. I can easily see why they'd pick Lance over Fields: teaching field vision is harder than teaching accuracy. Lance has Fields beat on that.
But... Purdy has Lance beat on that AS WELL as reaction speed AS WELL as accuracy. And he's also mobile and able to thrown on the run. Lance has him beat on arm strength and size and that's really about it. It's clear Purdy is the best of all three of these guys, and he's better than Jimmy and half the starters in the league as well.
Originally posted by Sanfran_chrisco:
Originally posted by random49er:
We have multiple QBs with those traits,...and actually there is something to "mess with",...as the last guy he named a season's starter is Trey Lance.

So he'll have to officially change his mind publicly/before the team on that decision, for the 2nd year straight.

Or,...he could, as you suggested,...."not mess with" anything and pick things up where they left off pre-injury with Lance as the starter.

And stay with it so as to not seem like he's playing musical chairs until he's fully convinced that he's currently given up on Lance being/developing as our starting QB.

Soooo,...just correcting your vision on things and how they're really slated to play out.

just look at the play calling with purdy vs Lance. It's obvious who shanahan has more confidence in. Lance is busy trying to learn how to slide and be accurate with an outside coach.

Yeah, Purdy can almost run Shanahan's full playbook. lance cannot/could not yet

That's a myth. Lance knew the entire offense before the pre-season of his rookie year. His problems were not related to scheme or understanding the offense. The main problem was accuracy and second guessing causing hesitation (more related to inexperience, especially with the speed of NFL players).
[ Edited by 5_Golden_Rings on Jan 20, 2023 at 4:55 PM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:
Keep it Brock steady.

Steady Brockin' all night long
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

What in the world did a kicker do to win the nfl mvp??

Mark Moseley in 1982. it was the strike year.

Moseley converted 23 straight field goals from 1981-82,(a record at the time), made a league-leading 20 of 21 field goals, a then-record 95.2 success rate, and was responsible for 76 points.
[ Edited by boast on Jan 20, 2023 at 5:12 PM ]
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:
His trade value is tied to the unknown, you hold on to him too long without any positive film and that diminishes IMO. Trey's peak value is right now being just 2 years removed from a consensus top 15 pick with limited pro film. This team in the time we've had him already knows if he can handle this O or not, other teams don't have that insight.

Fair enough. You may be 100% spot on. If we do trade Trey, I hope we get at least a first back.

I am accounting for the possibility that he continues cutting his teeth against our starting defense and improves as a result.

Additionally, having witnessed just how frail our QB's can be, having a cheap and capable back-up in Trey is not such a bad thing.

Trey is costing us 9.3 Million against our Cap next year...he's far from a cheap back-up. Why I think you move him if you believe Purdy is the FQB.

He's costing us no matter what. CBA. Rookie contracts.
Originally posted by All22:
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:
Trey is costing us 9.3 Million against our Cap next year...he's far from a cheap back-up. Why I think you move him if you believe Purdy is the FQB.

We'll see what the calculus inside 49ers headquarters is.

I like the idea of good draft compensation for Trey and I also like the idea of having a capable backup behind Brock Purdy.

I agree. I'd prefer to keep him because we've only had one season where our qb didn't go down since kyles been here.

It just depends on the trade package - it'll have to be a very good one for the niners to move off. If Trey did get traded to the titans, I'd be happy for him. It's a good team with a good coach.

Exactly. We're in our prime Superbowl window right now before paying "highest ever" money for Bosa, before CMC and Deebo hit 30, and before we have to pay Aiyuk. The 9 million you save trading Lance isn't worth jeopardizing that.

You don't save 9 million trading him. You PAY 9 million trading him. The only way you save anything at all (still not 9 million; I believe it's five million) is if it's done post-June 1st, which means you'd have needed to bring in someone else for six or seven million, which means you STILL save nothing.
He's not a tradeable asset until 2024, not unless a team dramatically overpays for him given that he hasn't been healthy enough to play much.

They just don't like that he didn't play enough games. Clearly he's the best rookie. A QB who can play like this is rare.
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by Silky:
Originally posted by Goatie:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Yeah it's gonna be tough. Dak finally has a great game... looking off defenders... Big Mike calling some nice plays to get people open.. their defense just punking the Bucs.

They are going to want revenge SO BAD after we knocked them out last year, even though Jimmy did everything he can to keep them in the game. Well Jimmy is not the QB this time. I loved how happy Jerrah and Cowboy players and fans were after that Bucs win. They are on the highest of highs, and we get to slap them back down.

I just hope Dak's inconsistency is consistent this weekend so he has a garbage game.

We will force atleast 1 or 2 turnovers in this game.

That's what's funny about Dallas. They have a pretty potent offense and should be respected, but man Dak throws some crazy bone-headed picks sometimes. He alone completely destroys them. He is a more explosive version of Jimmy G. He moves the ball up-and-down the field, but their fans are on pins and needles just hoping that terrible interception doesn't occur.

yeah Dak gets more Air Yards with his INT's

Those air yards are very important when evaluating QB performance though.

They are in the sense that they tell a bit about how an offense is attacking a defense. They are, in fact, one of the ways in which we can quantify how the offense has improved with Brock at QB. Purdy's completed air yards per pass attempt is higher than Patrick Mahomes' and Joe Burrow's—and higher than Lance's and quite a ways bigger than Jimmy's.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

that's pretty wild! Whatever with being sold on who, I'll worry about that next year.
Yeah. The talking heads talk about this yet shred him for throwing into tight windows. Seems disingenuous.

Even if his targets are wide open, he's finding them regularly. We've also seem him thread the needle.

And it's not like Kyle hasn't been scheming guys wide open for six years. This isn't new. What's new is the QB is choosing to throw them.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by Silky:
Originally posted by Goatie:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Yeah it's gonna be tough. Dak finally has a great game... looking off defenders... Big Mike calling some nice plays to get people open.. their defense just punking the Bucs.

They are going to want revenge SO BAD after we knocked them out last year, even though Jimmy did everything he can to keep them in the game. Well Jimmy is not the QB this time. I loved how happy Jerrah and Cowboy players and fans were after that Bucs win. They are on the highest of highs, and we get to slap them back down.

I just hope Dak's inconsistency is consistent this weekend so he has a garbage game.

We will force atleast 1 or 2 turnovers in this game.

That's what's funny about Dallas. They have a pretty potent offense and should be respected, but man Dak throws some crazy bone-headed picks sometimes. He alone completely destroys them. He is a more explosive version of Jimmy G. He moves the ball up-and-down the field, but their fans are on pins and needles just hoping that terrible interception doesn't occur.

yeah Dak gets more Air Yards with his INT's

Those air yards are very important when evaluating QB performance though.

They are in the sense that they tell a bit about how an offense is attacking a defense. They are, in fact, one of the ways in which we can quantify how the offense has improved with Brock at QB. Purdy's completed air yards per pass attempt is higher than Patrick Mahomes' and Joe Burrow's—and higher than Lance's and quite a ways bigger than Jimmy's.

Yes. I know all about the completed air yards. I have no issue with completed air yards.
B-Rock the Cows !! B-Rock the Cows !!!

GO NINERSSSS !!!!
Share 49ersWebzone