LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 251 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
Remember Mike Silver and his previous "sources" from within 49ers?

He had a holier than thou guess we were taking Mac Jones

He was on the Mac Jones train then kept ripping the team when he was wrong (like Simms)

The likely source for any QB leak back then was QB coach Scangarello...and he left unceremoniously for a college job. Rumors after he left indicated he was not a fan of Trey Lance

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/why-the-49ers-replaced-rich-scangarello-with-brian-griese

*ya i linked a GC article...I feel dirty

Now Silver sees easy click bait by stirring the QB drama pot again

Under Lynch the 49ers do not leak big news. They did counter intel s**t with their coaching staff by never revealing their #3 preference until days before the draft

sounds like hes describing Purdy exactly in his responses. The guy has a point. A lot of great points in that interview. I agree with just about everything he is saying - although there are always exceptions.

i didn't realize that Trey has NEVER had to do a two minute drill in college. That's insane. I'm not attacking Lance. I just didn't know that. I do know that in high school, he has 11 combined passing touchdowns his junior and senior year. Lol it's always worried me the lack of football he's played in his life, the level he's played it at, and his inexperience having to pass the ball at any level. I always felt like that meant he has never, or very rarely, had to read defenses, complex coverages etc.

oh well! He's a niner and I hope he becomes what Kyle envisioned. I'm just glad we stumbled onto Purdy.

"One of my favorite things about quarterbacks historically, the mid-major to smaller Power 5 schools -- those over the history of time have been some of the best players in this league. And when you can take a quarterback who's a multi-year starter at a mid-major for example, and he can take them a level that they've never season -- let's say they're an average program, and then all of a sudden for two years they're winning conference titles or competing for it -- that tells me that quarterback has the ability to raise the level of everyone around him. For Josh Allen at Wyoming, the two years he was there, they won more games than probably ever in the history of that program. They had never had eight-win seasons. I think they'd had one or two in the whole history of the program. That tells me the guy is a winner and he has the ability to elevate the people around him. Those things are important to me."
[ Edited by tankle104 on Jan 21, 2023 at 10:17 AM ]
i believe it's fairly obvious to most of us that Purdy will be QB1 going forward so Mike Silver really isnt breaking anything here. he's taking something that is pretty evident to everyone, making an article based on anonymous sources and getting people to click on his article.

this is nothing more than clickbait.
Originally posted by libertyforever:
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
so it begins, and the season isn't even over yet LOL

Hope it ain't Greise, John and Kyle not with that leaking through the ass.

Sounded like Kyle and John doesn't want to say it to the public from their mouth until after this season is over, so they asked other people within the organization to leak this. This happens all the time to set expectation, and see if any teams will call to make a blockbuster trade offer for Trey.

The bolded seems like the only logical reason this leak would happen.

Ya very solid logic, announce that you've given up on Trey, that's how you boost the value of players. 150 IQ logic

That's not what was said. Dramatic much?

What's your theory?

I definitely think Purdy is QB1 next year outside of an injury, he's earned it that's for sure. He's gonna go into camp taking majority, if not all of the 1st team reps.

We don't need to leak anything, it's pretty evident what's happening here. The FO I'm sure will take calls for Trey, and if there's a really good offer we will trade him.

But the idea that we need to leak that Purdy is the QB next year, like other FOs can't figure this out is silly. And all that would do is diminish his trade value, it's pretty evident by now that this FO isn't stupid.

I think this organization like to leak news like this rather than coming out of Kyle and John's mouth. I think last year the team had Trey's agent leaked the news that Trey was going to be the starter. And I don't think this team is operating differently than most other sport organizations.

Ya there's zero logic in that.
Actually sounds like the team leak the info out on purpose. Teams do this to set expectation.

The 49ers don't leak anything. They have specifically been a "no leaks" FO that keeps info within a small number of people. This is just some nobody looking for clicks.
As regards Mike Silver's comments, I personally wouldn't believe anything that guy says. I think he is one of the least credible writers out there. Purdy may well end up being the choice next year but it will take more than Mike Silver's word for me to believe it. Like many in here I think a lot of what happens next year will depend on how the rest of this season goes. Obviously, if the team were to win the Super Bowl with Purdy at the helm then Lance will be looking at a steep climb to get back into the conversation for the number one spot. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out.
Originally posted by 49ers81:
As regards Mike Silver's comments, I personally wouldn't believe anything that guy says. I think he is one of the least credible writers out there. Purdy may well end up being the choice next year but it will take more than Mike Silver's word for me to believe it. Like many in here I think a lot of what happens next year will depend on how the rest of this season goes. Obviously, if the team were to win the Super Bowl with Purdy at the helm then Lance will be looking at a steep climb to get back into the conversation for the number one spot. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

No team decides on anything like this right now. You let the season play out and evaluate your organization in the offseason. They have been a "best man wins the job" team from the start. Shanahan plays the guys who had the best week of practice. He's not going to hand the job for next season to anyone right now. Common sense.
Originally posted by 49ers81:

Yeah the front office/coaching staff of this team are about as damn leakproof as any organization in the entire league, probably the most leakproof out of all. Whenever you see some NFL pundit regarding this team how they've learned from this or that source that x is happening just know they're pretty much full of s**t. I'm so sick of the media and whoever else trying to make the issue of "who the f**k is the Niner starting QB gonna be next year" a bigger story than they're in the middle of a damn Super Bowl run. It's so damn annoying.
[ Edited by ninerjok on Jan 21, 2023 at 10:42 AM ]
Purdy limiting errors: The rookie's 1.6% turnover-worthy play rate over his past four games would have been the best mark of any quarterback in the 2022 regular season.

OH HELL YEAH!
BRENT JONES ON BROCK PURDY:

"I've never seen it. I've never seen it in my lifetime and I've been a fan of the NFL probably going back to the days being seven years old in 1970. There's never been a rookie last round pick, right — the only rookie that I can say that had any impact at the quarterback position to this level of significance was Dan Marino. But certainly not a third string, Mr. Irrelevant kid."

And I've said this before, you always hear the old adage, 'Hey, be prepared, you never know when your number is going to be called.'

"And yes, we've seen third-string rookie quarterbacks over the years, 'be prepared' and it's been ugly. I mean, it's been absolutely ugly. Nobody with the presence of Brock Purdy, and what he's done. It's been truly astounding."

"When I hear that I think of game manager and Brock Purdy has been anything but," Jones said. "He really has been anything but. The 49ers have called plenty of pass plays. They've done multiple things reaching deep into the playbook. It has not bothered him one iota. So I understand what firms saying but I also think part of this kid's success has been times where he's been aggressive."
dirty Purdy hitting swishes with the football! Hell yeah

you can bet your bottom dollar they're going to lose to this guy. Just like everyone else lost to the guy who wore Uggs. Hahha
Originally posted by tankle104:
Purdy limiting errors: The rookie's 1.6% turnover-worthy play rate over his past four games would have been the best mark of any quarterback in the 2022 regular season.

OH HELL YEAH!

This must be a significant improvement. There was concern a few weeks ago in this thread about his "high" turnover worthy plays.
Originally posted by tankle104:

OH HELL YEAH!

This must be a significant improvement. There was concern a few weeks ago in this thread about his "high" turnover worthy plays.

Yeah, if I'm not mistaken, that was since week 14. Per the article.
Share 49ersWebzone