There are 275 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Please god do not transform Brock Purdy into Nick Mullens 2.0.

Thank you amen.

Granted it's one game (and kinda the opposite of what he was in college from what I saw), but Brock is much much much better under pressure compared to what Mullens showed. Hopefully they continues
Some accountability also

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Some accountability also

Watching that yesterday, it's like, he's basically the opposite of Zach Wilson.
Purdy big nuts, balls, cahones.. he will get it done
Originally posted by Montana:
Purdy big nuts, balls, cahones.. he will get it done

he did have a bit trouble reading the field which is usual case with rookies but has a great release no problem reading blitzes and beating them etc which are all huge pluses. I expect a few more rollouts next week so he only has to read half the field

A huge huge plus is we didnt see any deer in the headlights and after throwing an int ( i mean punt) he didnt fold
[ Edited by ritz126 on Dec 7, 2022 at 7:08 AM ]
  • thl408
Some accountability also

I think this is the play. Corner routes have not been targeted much so it's nice to see Brock try it.
Originally posted by thl408:
Some accountability also

I think this is the play. Corner routes have not been targeted much so it's nice to see Brock try it.

This pass needs to get up and down fast. Not sure Purdy has it, but I've only seen Jimmy make that throw a few times.

Oh yeah
[ Edited by Montana on Dec 7, 2022 at 8:32 AM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Excerpt from that article:
"I think Brock naturally looks a lot more often for the deeper one than the shorter one, which is awesome," Shanahan said. "Sometimes, it helped today. In a couple early, I thought he missed just having someone quick right there and just trying to look for something deeper and then ran out of time to come back to the short one. You like that about a guy's personality. You want that much more than the other way."

Again, Purdy's biggest issues were misfired passes, but we need a bigger sample size of throws to see if his accuracy is a problem. Shanahan said there were some issues with getting the correct play in and snapping the ball before the play clock expired, too. Purdy did a good job of getting out of trouble and made some plays outside of the pocket, but I want to see him slide up in the pocket a little more.

Excerpt from that article:
"I think Brock naturally looks a lot more often for the deeper one than the shorter one, which is awesome," Shanahan said. "Sometimes, it helped today. In a couple early, I thought he missed just having someone quick right there and just trying to look for something deeper and then ran out of time to come back to the short one. You like that about a guy's personality. You want that much more than the other way."

Again, Purdy's biggest issues were misfired passes, but we need a bigger sample size of throws to see if his accuracy is a problem. Shanahan said there were some issues with getting the correct play in and snapping the ball before the play clock expired, too. Purdy did a good job of getting out of trouble and made some plays outside of the pocket, but I want to see him slide up in the pocket a little more.

ya that was an obvious issue again its hard to blame anyone for that ecause after all he is a 7th round rookie but this week of practice is the most important we have had this season for the offense
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Some accountability also

This pass needs to get up and down fast. Not sure Purdy has it, but I've only seen Jimmy make that throw a few times.

Tua missed those throws a lot too. We used to bait Goff into those throws because they're the hardest ones to hit.

This is the stuff that travels well for QB's in the NFL. If you can make these reads consistently, you've got a long term job in the NFL, if not as a starter then as a savvy backup.

https://theathletic.com/3974242/2022/12/07/49ers-brock-purdy-nfl-film

Purdy went to his next read and hit Samuel in a tight window over the middle of the field. He put the ball on Samuel's outside shoulder, which allowed him to turn and get some extra yardage after the catch.

Having the patience to go through full-field reads in his first NFL action, especially without many or any first-team practice reps, is not something you expect to see very often even from rookies drafted in the first round, but Purdy did it on multiple occasions.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Please god do not transform Brock Purdy into Nick Mullens 2.0.

Thank you amen.

Granted it's one game (and kinda the opposite of what he was in college from what I saw), but Brock is much much much better under pressure compared to what Mullens showed. Hopefully they continues

We will have to see. Mullens was solid for a few but after they got film on him he mentally just broke from the blitzing and constant pressure.

It seems like for these guys it's a lot more mental than physical.

Obviously Brock can move around and make the throws he needs to make. It's just the decision making part under duress and getting hit a lot if it continues. Can he see the stunts and read the pressure and fakes.
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
We will have to see. Mullens was solid for a few but after they got film on him he mentally just broke from the blitzing and constant pressure.

It seems like for these guys it's a lot more mental than physical.

Obviously Brock can move around and make the throws he needs to make. It's just the decision making part under duress and getting hit a lot if it continues. Can he see the stunts and read the pressure and fakes.

Got a lof of practice facing pressure at Iowa State
Share 49ersWebzone