LISTEN: Kansas City Week With Carrington Harrison →

There are 297 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
i imagine his ridiculous amount of starts in college is a big reason why he can read defenses this well already. Does anyone know if he ran a pro style offense at Iowa state?
  • thl408
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Please god do not transform Brock Purdy into Nick Mullens 2.0.

Thank you amen.

Granted it's one game (and kinda the opposite of what he was in college from what I saw), but Brock is much much much better under pressure compared to what Mullens showed. Hopefully they continues

We will have to see. Mullens was solid for a few but after they got film on him he mentally just broke from the blitzing and constant pressure.

It seems like for these guys it's a lot more mental than physical.

Obviously Brock can move around and make the throws he needs to make. It's just the decision making part under duress and getting hit a lot if it continues. Can he see the stunts and read the pressure and fakes.

Brock has mobility so he can help himself when he gets pressured. Mullens did not have that skillset. I understand why we are comparing the two, but that is one difference (mobility).
Originally posted by thl408:
Brock has mobility so he can help himself when he gets pressured. Mullens did not have that skillset. I understand why we are comparing the two, but that is one difference (mobility).

Brock has a slightly better arm too.
Physically, is there a big difference between Jimmy and Brock? One that would allow Jimmy to excel in this offense, but prevent Brock from doing so?
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
I wouldn't know. I only know of the original Wednesday, who is like 10 or something like that. Either way, 20 is old enough to be your daughter, you rascal you.

Then I must of had a daughter when I was 10 0.o

100.o? You are 200.o years old?
i imagine his ridiculous amount of starts in college is a big reason why he can read defenses this well already. Does anyone know if he ran a pro style offense at Iowa state?

He spent most of his time there playing under OC Tom Manning who had NFL coaching experience and ran a run heavy spread attack. What he did Sunday was a lot like what he did in the Iowa State offense, throwing a lot of short to intermediate passes, attacking the middle of the field with the offense putting a lot on the QB's plate in terms of having to read the defense and regularly make the right decision on where to go with the football.
Pre-draft breakdown of Purdy from Dane Brugler.

Kind of a blessing lance went down so early before too much tape got out there. Hopefully lynch can salvage a 4th or 5th rounder for him. That may be asking a lot tho seeing a 7th rounder already 100x better
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

He spent most of his time there playing under OC Tom Manning who had NFL coaching experience and ran a run heavy spread attack. What he did Sunday was a lot like what he did in the Iowa State offense, throwing a lot of short to intermediate passes, attacking the middle of the field with the offense putting a lot on the QB's plate in terms of having to read the defense and regularly make the right decision on where to go with the football.

Awww, in no relations to that Manning family
Originally posted by bopicksix:
Kind of a blessing lance went down so early before too much tape got out there. Hopefully lynch can salvage a 4th or 5th rounder for him. That may be asking a lot tho seeing a 7th rounder already 100x better
100x better? I like the kid but that is a str.....etch.

Originally posted by Cg9erSF:

It is interesting that Purdy operates the offense much much smoother in his one game than Lance ever has. I'm not trying to knock Lance, I just think it shows how much more experienced Purdy is.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Dec 7, 2022 at 11:15 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Pre-draft breakdown of Purdy from Dane Brugler.

Pretty accruate description but another one of his strengths not mention is the kid is a gunslinger aka he has swagger and he makes some very nice throws that most average QB don't make and only probowl QBs do. Definitely a better version of Jimmy G without some of the limitations like mobility and cracking under heavy pressure and making some out of whack bonehead decisions.

GO PURDY GO 9ERS SB OR BUST BABY!!!!
Originally posted by Cg9erSF:

It is interesting that Purdy operates the offense much much smoother in his one game than Lance ever has. I'm not trying to knock Lance, I just think it shows how much more experienced Purdy is.

What exactly are you basing that on?

Purdy ran the offense as good as i've seen it run in years from a mental standpoint. Was very impressive.
Looks like we're probably rockin' with Brock the rest of the way.

Share 49ersWebzone