LISTEN: Kansas City Week With Carrington Harrison →

There are 302 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 5Jan2003:
All I can say for sure after 1 game is he's definitely the most promising 3rd string Niners QB since Steve Bono.

Mullens had 3 tds in a blowout win in his first start.
[ Edited by Jcool on Dec 8, 2022 at 4:21 AM ]
Originally posted by ritz126:
Originally posted by Montana:
Purdy big nuts, balls, cahones.. he will get it done

he did have a bit trouble reading the field which is usual case with rookies but has a great release no problem reading blitzes and beating them etc which are all huge pluses. I expect a few more rollouts next week so he only has to read half the field

A huge huge plus is we didnt see any deer in the headlights and after throwing an int ( i mean punt) he didnt fold
Where specifically did he have trouble reading the field, in comparison to other QBs, including Jimmy and Trey?
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Some accountability also

I think this is the play. Corner routes have not been targeted much so it's nice to see Brock try it.

This pass needs to get up and down fast. Not sure Purdy has it, but I've only seen Jimmy make that throw a few times.

Seen Trey make it.

So imagine if we could combine all three QBs. We'd have the new GOAT.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Excerpt from that article:
"I think Brock naturally looks a lot more often for the deeper one than the shorter one, which is awesome," Shanahan said. "Sometimes, it helped today. In a couple early, I thought he missed just having someone quick right there and just trying to look for something deeper and then ran out of time to come back to the short one. You like that about a guy's personality. You want that much more than the other way."

Again, Purdy's biggest issues were misfired passes, but we need a bigger sample size of throws to see if his accuracy is a problem. Shanahan said there were some issues with getting the correct play in and snapping the ball before the play clock expired, too. Purdy did a good job of getting out of trouble and made some plays outside of the pocket, but I want to see him slide up in the pocket a little more.

But I thought Shanahan wants his QBs to throw short? What fake news is this?
Originally posted by MikeVickMVPEAGLES:
do you actually believe brock purdy has a chance against the eagles D? the 49ers have no chance now! and neither do the queens! go birds.

Man if you don't get outta here and get you some business! You have one chip and we have five and you're over here talking about championship aspirations. Big bank takes little bank and 5>1. Get outta the chat room of our illustrious franchise and get back over there with the rest of those Santa Claus beaters and boo birds 🦅!
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Physically, is there a big difference between Jimmy and Brock? One that would allow Jimmy to excel in this offense, but prevent Brock from doing so?

Jimmy has a slightly better arm and slightly faster release, based on the limited amount I've seen. But as has been discussed ad nausem, Jimmy is not a "weak armed" QB, he can make every single throw, and you don't need a rocket to make every single throw and threaten all three fields. Ask Drew Brees all about that. What you need is accuracy at all three levels, timing at all three levels, and a willingness to threaten all three levels.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by rivercity:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
So I'm going through all Purdy's pre-season tape after watching this past game earlier in the week. One thing I'm noticing is a mechanical issue that won't be fixed this year - something for him to work on in the off-season to correct and something his QB coach pre-draft had talked about they were working on but hadn't quite fixed it yet.

He closes his front foot too much on throws to the left and sometimes down the middle. It's showing up in pre-season, closed off front foot(not pointing toe all the way to teh target) this is causing his throws to the left to be a little high and to the right. We saw it on the deep ball down the middle to Deebo but he's had several in pre-season. Throws to the left that were off, to the right. Something to watch if defenses want to try and make him throw to his left and if Kyle has him throwing more to his right - just something for us to watch.

You're such a sharp observer. A real asset to this forum riddled with BS at times.

One of a small group of members that keep me coming back to this forum and gem for sure.

Well with a name like Big Cock Brock, Purdy probably has a balancing issue.

Originally posted by Jubwub88:
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
I've liked him since we drafted him, but man. From Nate Davis to Alex Smith to Kaepernick to CJ Beathard to Jimmy G to Nick Mullens… and Trey Lance off to a rough start… we've just been tricked so so so many times as a fanbase into thinking we've finally found the guy…

No you want the next Montana or brady. It's like a kid infatuated with greatest new toy. Had we done what we were supposed to and picked defense (parsons) instead of trying to find the next herbert or mahommes we would easily contend for multiple rings. Jimmy is an adequate quarterback. We lost out on parsons and stud wr's cus we tried to keep up with the jones. Offensive line ect but that's water under the bridge. I'm amazed this team is still contending. Mistakes like that somtimes torpedo organisations. Kudos to our late round draft picks.

btw that kid demo is doing a solid job. I've been very impressed by not hearing his name at all. Maybe once or twice

I mean why stop there? Just say we should have picked the OBVIOUS best player in the draft in 2017: Patrick Mahomes (I'm going to die on that hill that he was the OBVIOUS choice, and I'm still to this day baffled that people thought his "bad mechanics" was a crippling weakness when it was and still is literally his greatest asset: having an arm so damned good you don't even NEED mechanics. Or rather, what people thought was "bad mechanics" was him being forced to utilize his astounding talent due to the bad oline around him and terrible defense which kept the offense scrambling all the time.).
[ Edited by 5_Golden_Rings on Dec 8, 2022 at 4:35 AM ]
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by kdoggie:
If Brock can be like Jimmy in terms of reading defenses before each play but be un-like Jimmy and go through his progressions but also use his legs to extend plays…we got a damn chance.

If he's got IT between the ears, and it seems like he might, then we have a damn chance.

AIN'T gonna be like Grappy, he's got more MOXIENESS than Grappy... his energy reminds me of a young TB12 !!!

He doesn't have more experience, though. This year Jimmy was really showing that he'd improved in going through his progressions and limiting his absurdly dumb choice (notwithstanding the Bronco game). It's a shame. He may have turned the corner on those two issues.
His c--k is the next big thing. I am optimistic about BCB playing Tampa. I would love another tantrum from Brady..just retire already, feels like Favre part the second. Old, divorced, deflated balls. Go away.

with a bit more superbowl rings on his hand tho lol! gotta respect the GOAT. Montana isnt that far behind tho!

Brady is the goat who doesn't feel like the goat. Don't ask me why cause idk why it feels that way. Doesn't feel goatish

If he's not the GOAT he's pretty clearly number 2, behind Joe. If you look at playoff statistics (normalized for era, so the guys are compared to their peers) there are two guys at the top: Joe and Brady. And the distance between Brady and the ones below him is substantial. But by the same token, so is the distance between Joe and Brady. Joe way up here, Brady a bit lower over miere, and everyone else a bit down miere. Maybe a bit more down miere.

do you actually believe brock purdy has a chance against the eagles D? the 49ers have no chance now! and neither do the queens! go birds.

Bruh come on. At this point we don't have a choice. Jimmy probably isn't going to be back in time to make a difference. And if by chance he's healthy, if Purdy is playing well, no one is going to jeopardize that for a guy who will be rusty. He'll have to (again, assuming Purdy plays well) just be ready to come in at a moment's notice if Purdy struggles. But from now until probably the end of the regular season at best, Jimmy is in recovery and Purdy is the guy.

SIDENOTE: As Jimmy's family member, you REALLY ought to be rooting for the 49ers to win anyway, because if by chance Jimmy DOES heal in time to come back, if Purdy is as bad as you think he'll be, Jimmy won't have a chance to come back and lead the team to a Super Bowl win.
[ Edited by 5_Golden_Rings on Dec 8, 2022 at 4:50 AM ]
Originally posted by YACBros85:

Damn! Do you feel that threatened and insecure about your team?

That guy is one of Jimmy's brothers or cousins. It's completely understandable.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

Man if you don't get outta here and get you some business! You have one chip and we have five and you're over here talking about championship aspirations. Big bank takes little bank and 5>1. Get outta the chat room of our illustrious franchise and get back over there with the rest of those Santa Claus beaters and boo birds 🦅!

That isn't an Eagles fan. That's Jimmy's brother/cousin/family member making another fake account.

[ Edited by 5_Golden_Rings on Dec 8, 2022 at 4:53 AM ]
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Excerpt from that article:
"I think Brock naturally looks a lot more often for the deeper one than the shorter one, which is awesome," Shanahan said. "Sometimes, it helped today. In a couple early, I thought he missed just having someone quick right there and just trying to look for something deeper and then ran out of time to come back to the short one. You like that about a guy's personality. You want that much more than the other way."

Again, Purdy's biggest issues were misfired passes, but we need a bigger sample size of throws to see if his accuracy is a problem. Shanahan said there were some issues with getting the correct play in and snapping the ball before the play clock expired, too. Purdy did a good job of getting out of trouble and made some plays outside of the pocket, but I want to see him slide up in the pocket a little more.

But I thought Shanahan wants his QBs to throw short? What fake news is this?

Only a fool utters those words anymore. He just admitted that Jimmy chokes off his points production and running game effectiveness. With Brady this O would be literally averaging 40 points per game. Kyle has never had that.
We know it's easy to get carried away over small sample sizes here. We know we've gotten hopes up only to be disappointed after time revealed what we hoped it wouldn't with previous players.

With Brock, I'm sure we're all hoping that the phrase, "It's different this time" rings as true and as loud as it ever has before.

Here's to rooting for and supporting him all the way!
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 8, 2022 at 7:32 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone