There are 279 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by Jubwub88:
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
I've liked him since we drafted him, but man. From Nate Davis to Alex Smith to Kaepernick to CJ Beathard to Jimmy G to Nick Mullens… and Trey Lance off to a rough start… we've just been tricked so so so many times as a fanbase into thinking we've finally found the guy…

No you want the next Montana or brady. It's like a kid infatuated with greatest new toy. Had we done what we were supposed to and picked defense (parsons) instead of trying to find the next herbert or mahommes we would easily contend for multiple rings. Jimmy is an adequate quarterback. We lost out on parsons and stud wr's cus we tried to keep up with the jones. Offensive line ect but that's water under the bridge. I'm amazed this team is still contending. Mistakes like that somtimes torpedo organisations. Kudos to our late round draft picks.

btw that kid demo is doing a solid job. I've been very impressed by not hearing his name at all. Maybe once or twice

I mean why stop there? Just say we should have picked the OBVIOUS best player in the draft in 2017: Patrick Mahomes (I'm going to die on that hill that he was the OBVIOUS choice, and I'm still to this day baffled that people thought his "bad mechanics" was a crippling weakness when it was and still is literally his greatest asset: having an arm so damned good you don't even NEED mechanics. Or rather, what people thought was "bad mechanics" was him being forced to utilize his astounding talent due to the bad oline around him and terrible defense which kept the offense scrambling all the time.).

Meh, you always have a chance when you have a quarterback that can win games for you. Look at Seattle. Last year notwithstanding (because Wilson missed 5? games) they were making the playoffs without Marshawn Lynch, Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor, Avril and Bennett, Russell Okung, Richard Sherman, et. al

Look at how terrible we were when Harbaugh left. Baalke's terrible drafts did us in, but if Kap didn't flame out, we would've at least been competitive even with the inept coaching.

I agree with 2017. Maybe not the player (at the time), but in hindsight, QB was the move to make. But they were banking on signing Cousins in FA.
Originally posted by FL9er:
Meh, you always have a chance when you have a quarterback that can win games for you. Look at Seattle. Last year notwithstanding (because Wilson missed 5? games) they were making the playoffs without Marshawn Lynch, Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor, Avril and Bennett, Russell Okung, Richard Sherman, et. al

Look at how terrible we were when Harbaugh left. Baalke's terrible drafts did us in, but if Kap didn't flame out, we would've at least been competitive even with the inept coaching.

I agree with 2017. Maybe not the player (at the time), but in hindsight, QB was the move to make. But they were banking on signing Cousins in FA.

When we weren't rolling with Kap I thought we should have drafted Mahomes then
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
We know it's easy to get carried away over small sample sizes here. We know we've gotten hopes up only to be disappointed after time revealed what we hoped it wouldn't with previous players.

With Brock, I'm sure we're all hoping that the phrase, "It's different this time" rings as true and as loud as it ever has before.

Here's to rooting for and supporting him all the way!

All I'm hoping for is that the offense doesn't take a significant drop. If it stays reasonable, we will still make the playoffs, and who knows what happens then. If Brock doesn't elevate the offense, then Jimmy may be back to take over again by late playoffs, if we get that far.
keepin that seat warm for Jimmy Chismn.

Prock has the eye of the tiger, that edge, but like previous posters said before, we've been bamboozled before.

Looks like E - The Pizza Boy is already gaining some of his teammates trust !!!

B-Rocks the Bucs !! B-Rocks the Bucs !!!
I've liked him since we drafted him, but man. From Nate Davis to Alex Smith to Kaepernick to CJ Beathard to Jimmy G to Nick Mullens… and Trey Lance off to a rough start… we've just been tricked so so so many times as a fanbase into thinking we've finally found the guy…

No you want the next Montana or brady. It's like a kid infatuated with greatest new toy. Had we done what we were supposed to and picked defense (parsons) instead of trying to find the next herbert or mahommes we would easily contend for multiple rings. Jimmy is an adequate quarterback. We lost out on parsons and stud wr's cus we tried to keep up with the jones. Offensive line ect but that's water under the bridge. I'm amazed this team is still contending. Mistakes like that somtimes torpedo organisations. Kudos to our late round draft picks.

btw that kid demo is doing a solid job. I've been very impressed by not hearing his name at all. Maybe once or twice

I mean why stop there? Just say we should have picked the OBVIOUS best player in the draft in 2017: Patrick Mahomes (I'm going to die on that hill that he was the OBVIOUS choice, and I'm still to this day baffled that people thought his "bad mechanics" was a crippling weakness when it was and still is literally his greatest asset: having an arm so damned good you don't even NEED mechanics. Or rather, what people thought was "bad mechanics" was him being forced to utilize his astounding talent due to the bad oline around him and terrible defense which kept the offense scrambling all the time.).

I keep forgetting about that when I go on these rants. But that was quite the risk. We had the QB right there, and the ideal spot to take him.
Hang on 49ers, a few more wins and back in the playoffs.

I keep forgetting about that when I go on these rants. But that was quite the risk. We had the QB right there, and the ideal spot to take him.

Mahomes wasn't the obvious pick in the 2017 draft. In hindsight you can say that but a lot of teams passed him by in 2017. Even if the Niners had drafted him, would he have been the same QB in Kyles system? Much more disciplined with fewer deep passes. Plus we don't have Tyreek Hill. Mahomes would still be good but would he be this good. One other thing. Who was he going to sit behind for that first year. Kyle needed someone that could play right away.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

Mahomes wasn't the obvious pick in the 2017 draft. In hindsight you can say that but a lot of teams passed him by in 2017. Even if the Niners had drafted him, would he have been the same QB in Kyles system? Much more disciplined with fewer deep passes. Plus we don't have Tyreek Hill. Mahomes would still be good but would he be this good. One other thing. Who was he going to sit behind for that first year. Kyle needed someone that could play right away.

So, you doubt that Mahomes will be as good as he is now because of our HC... right?

hey, i can't disagree !!
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

When we weren't rolling with Kap I thought we should have drafted Mahomes then

People forget that the 2016 team had the worst run defense in 49er history. They had a goal to address that, which is why they drafted DL again with Thomas.

Now, in hindsight it turned out that the run defense issues were more scheme related than talent, but on paper they didnt know that yet.

Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

So, you doubt that Mahomes will be as good as he is now because of our HC... right?

hey, i can't disagree !!

I'm just saying we don't know if he would be. Different styles of offense so Mahomes may not have felt as comfortable. We know that the receiving corps is different. The Niners don't have that HR threat like Hill was. The KC TE is a better receiver than Kittle too. Kittle may be better as an overall TE but Kelce is a beat to cover.

Would JG be as good in KCs system as he is in Kyle's? Again we don't know.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Dec 8, 2022 at 9:22 AM ]
We know it's easy to get carried away over small sample sizes here. We know we've gotten hopes up only to be disappointed after time revealed what we hoped it wouldn't with previous players.

With Brock, I'm sure we're all hoping that the phrase, "It's different this time" rings as true and as loud as it ever has before.

Here's to rooting for and supporting him all the way!

All I'm hoping for is that the offense doesn't take a significant drop. If it stays reasonable, we will still make the playoffs, and who knows what happens then. If Brock doesn't elevate the offense, then Jimmy may be back to take over again by late playoffs, if we get that far.

One big thing I'm curious to see is if Brock is more willing to look deep than Jimmy. It's something Trey did in his small sample size, and I'd love to see Brock hit some open shots if he has the opportunity.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 8, 2022 at 9:24 AM ]
One big thing I'm curious to see is if Brock is more willing to look deep than Jimmy. It's something Trey did in his small sample size, and I'd love to see Brock hit some open shots if he has the opportunity.

Oh I think he absolutely will look deep more than Jimmy. Can he complete it will be the real question. His deep ball accuracy leaves a bit to be desired.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Oh I think he absolutely will look deep more than Jimmy. Can he complete it will be the real question. His deep ball accuracy leaves a bit to be desired.

LOL. Let us know when we actually get a receiver who can catch a deep ball, first.
Share 49ersWebzone