LISTEN: Kansas City Week With Carrington Harrison →

There are 256 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Have we hit the Purdy > Jimmy > Trey level of the WZ yet?
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
One big thing I'm curious to see is if Brock is more willing to look deep than Jimmy. It's something Trey did in his small sample size, and I'd love to see Brock hit some open shots if he has the opportunity.

Oh I think he absolutely will look deep more than Jimmy. Can he complete it will be the real question. His deep ball accuracy leaves a bit to be desired.

LOL. Let us know when we actually get a receiver who can catch a deep ball, first.

Well, can we at least try the wide open ones? lol.

Purdy's velocity looks right on par with Mac Jones' -- so it's enough -- but obviously he was well documented as not the most accurate on the deep passes. At least he has more mobility.
We need to pump the brakes a bit and let's see. Matt M was on the radio talking about him just now. Said in combine very confident on the verge of cocky but that's okay. Has a bit of a chip as he wasn't drafted higher most likely to height and also didn't take very kindly to Mr; Irrelevant. Put too much work in for four years and doesn't like that nickname. But I think this guy is dying to prove it (I guess aren't they all) but he feels a bit special. We will see.

By the way even though wrong thread, Matt states that "could come back early" comment did not come from the 9er camp. It came out from Jimmy camp. The 9ers were surprised by what his camp said thus why Kyle had to come out and say most likely doubtful but a tiny chance. Jimmy is already away from 9ers as typical and his health status will come from his camp and not the 9ers. Grrr. 9ers are ready to ride Brock as far as they go.

Go Brock.
[ Edited by 9erson3 on Dec 8, 2022 at 9:41 AM ]
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Originally posted by FL9er:
Originally posted by Jubwub88:
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
I've liked him since we drafted him, but man. From Nate Davis to Alex Smith to Kaepernick to CJ Beathard to Jimmy G to Nick Mullens… and Trey Lance off to a rough start… we've just been tricked so so so many times as a fanbase into thinking we've finally found the guy…

No you want the next Montana or brady. It's like a kid infatuated with greatest new toy. Had we done what we were supposed to and picked defense (parsons) instead of trying to find the next herbert or mahommes we would easily contend for multiple rings. Jimmy is an adequate quarterback. We lost out on parsons and stud wr's cus we tried to keep up with the jones. Offensive line ect but that's water under the bridge. I'm amazed this team is still contending. Mistakes like that somtimes torpedo organisations. Kudos to our late round draft picks.

btw that kid demo is doing a solid job. I've been very impressed by not hearing his name at all. Maybe once or twice

I mean why stop there? Just say we should have picked the OBVIOUS best player in the draft in 2017: Patrick Mahomes (I'm going to die on that hill that he was the OBVIOUS choice, and I'm still to this day baffled that people thought his "bad mechanics" was a crippling weakness when it was and still is literally his greatest asset: having an arm so damned good you don't even NEED mechanics. Or rather, what people thought was "bad mechanics" was him being forced to utilize his astounding talent due to the bad oline around him and terrible defense which kept the offense scrambling all the time.).

Meh, you always have a chance when you have a quarterback that can win games for you. Look at Seattle. Last year notwithstanding (because Wilson missed 5? games) they were making the playoffs without Marshawn Lynch, Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor, Avril and Bennett, Russell Okung, Richard Sherman, et. al

Look at how terrible we were when Harbaugh left. Baalke's terrible drafts did us in, but if Kap didn't flame out, we would've at least been competitive even with the inept coaching.

I agree with 2017. Maybe not the player (at the time), but in hindsight, QB was the move to make. But they were banking on signing Cousins in FA.

I keep forgetting about that when I go on these rants. But that was quite the risk. We had the QB right there, and the ideal spot to take him.

Mahomes wasn't the obvious pick in the 2017 draft. In hindsight you can say that but a lot of teams passed him by in 2017. Even if the Niners had drafted him, would he have been the same QB in Kyles system? Much more disciplined with fewer deep passes. Plus we don't have Tyreek Hill. Mahomes would still be good but would he be this good. One other thing. Who was he going to sit behind for that first year. Kyle needed someone that could play right away.

There were only a few teams that actually needed a QB and didn't have one they recently drafted that passed on him (CLE, CHI, SF, NYJ). Of those teams, all but us are perennial losers. So using their scouting programs as the standard to judge the NFL is probably not a good one.

Yes he would be the same QB in Kyle's system. Kyle adapts his system to the talent. Hence why the team took more deep shots with Lance and more spread/short game with Jimmy/Brock. As Shanahan just said, he thinks a QB who looks deep to short is better. This MYTH UTTER FREAKING MYTH that Kyle likes throwing it short is nothing but a COMPLETE AND UTTER MYTH created to heap praise on a particular player who doesn't do well throwing deep. Kyle has "preferred" short passing the last few years because that is what his QB is good at.

Hoyer is who he would have sat behind in year 1.

Considering that for half the forum we're still at the Jimmy > Aaron Rodgers and Jimmy = Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen stage, we probably won't get there.
[ Edited by 5_Golden_Rings on Dec 8, 2022 at 9:51 AM ]
One big thing I'm curious to see is if Brock is more willing to look deep than Jimmy. It's something Trey did in his small sample size, and I'd love to see Brock hit some open shots if he has the opportunity.

Oh I think he absolutely will look deep more than Jimmy. Can he complete it will be the real question. His deep ball accuracy leaves a bit to be desired.

LOL. Let us know when we actually get a receiver who can catch a deep ball, first.

Well, can we at least try the wide open ones? lol.

Purdy's velocity looks right on par with Mac Jones' -- so it's enough -- but obviously he was well documented as not the most accurate on the deep passes. At least he has more mobility.

Exactly. If Brock takes what the defense gives him and doesn't try to force anything, he will be just fine. The fact that he is willing to take the deeper route that is open instead of always going for the checkdown should make this offense more explosive.

We have five that can do so.
But I thought Shanahan wants his QBs to throw short? What fake news is this?

He essentially said same thing about Mullens before. Not sure why posters assumed it was Kyle.
I just read 2 NFL draft profiles for Brock Purdy. There were some similarities and other areas where the analysis was the exact opposite. One said he wasn't a threat to run. The other said he was a threat to take off and gain yards at any time. One said he couldn't throw deep. The other said he can make all the throws. One said he doesn't lead his receivers enough and the other said he does an excellent job leading receivers who then gain extra yards.

They both agreed that he's tough minded and an accurate passer who gets the ball out quickly. Excellent fit for a West Coast offense. Both saw him as an excellent backup because of his experience.

You don't need the fastest receivers to get over the top of a defense. You need a good scheme and a QB willing to take a shot when its there.

Originally posted by YACBros85:

You don't need the fastest receivers to get over the top of a defense. You need a good scheme and a QB willing to take a shot when its there.

Shaun Hill was a solid deep passer.

Let me repeat that.

SHAUN HILL WAS A SOLID DEEP PASSER.

Hill might of had the weakest arm of any QB I've ever seen, not named Scott Tolzien.
We know it's easy to get carried away over small sample sizes here. We know we've gotten hopes up only to be disappointed after time revealed what we hoped it wouldn't with previous players.

With Brock, I'm sure we're all hoping that the phrase, "It's different this time" rings as true and as loud as it ever has before.

Here's to rooting for and supporting him all the way!

He's got more going for him than the other guys. His team is legit. The 2017, 2018, and 2020 teams weren't very good, and our those were the years with substantial backup play.

I think this team is the best incarnation of the Shanahan Niners (outside of the QB position).

Purdy has a much better team than those guys, so the "ask" for him isn't as much.

A rookie has never won the championship, but I highly doubt a rookie has ever had a team like this. The only two I can think of are 2005 Steelers and 2011 Seahawks.

I love the Zone. So dumb
Originally posted by Strwy2Hevn:

I love the Zone. So dumb
This.
This guy isn't your standard rookie either. He started 41 games in a power 5 conference and his team was probably the least talented nearly Everytime they played a conference opponent.

that's literally probably more starts in college than Trey has had his entire life. Lol I'm not knocking anyone, just saying his experience, work ethic, and confidence are why he is so advanced for his rookie year with reads.
Share 49ersWebzone