LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 201 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by libertyforever:
This thing is, the NFL scouts and coaches clearly don't see Purdy to have the potential to grow into a FQB, whatever that reason is (arm strength, height, mobility, accurate, etc, probably combination of these)

Doesn't mean the scouts and coaches can't be wrong. But I think over the last decade or so, scouts and coaches have gotten better in evaluating QBs. There are less and less QB who weren't drafted in the first round grow into a FQB.

Not sure how many QBs who weren't drafted in the top 4 rounds in the last decade become a franchise QB. I can't even name one off of my head.

We don't need a fqb, we need him to play out of his mind for like 9 weeks!

I know it's unrealistic but let us dream while we can!!
Is all this hype really setting Purdy up for success?

His most important quality will be how he handles adversity.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
I said it when he was drafted, our next ring will come with Purdy at QB.

The kid has had to work for it, look where he was drafted.

I just think guys like Purdy & Brady have to work harder for something that is just handed to other guys.

Brock knows he's always one mistake away from getting benched.

That applies to every late QB drafted ever. There is a reason people have to bring up Tom Brady as a success story. Tom Brady was almost 23 years ago, a sign that this s**t is rare. If we are lucky, we make the playoffs. If he is good, we win the division abd get a home game. Anything beyond that is a miracle. Brock being on a talented team will help tons, but I'd be realistic on expectations. It will be a different ball game with defensive coordinators game planning for him.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by libertyforever:
This thing is, the NFL scouts and coaches clearly don't see Purdy to have the potential to grow into a FQB, whatever that reason is (arm strength, height, mobility, accurate, etc, probably combination of these)

Doesn't mean the scouts and coaches can't be wrong. But I think over the last decade or so, scouts and coaches have gotten better in evaluating QBs. There are less and less QB who weren't drafted in the first round grow into a FQB.

Not sure how many QBs who weren't drafted in the top 4 rounds in the last decade become a franchise QB. I can't even name one off of my head.

Kurt Warner and Tony Romo we're undrafted. And Fitzpatrick was a late rounder. But it's pretty rare.

I was referring to the draft in the last decade. They were not from the last decade.
I am trying to keep my hopes from getting out of control. It is hard not to be excited though. Some guys just pass the eye test. They just look like they belong. He looked like he belongs but I got to remind myself he is a 7th-round rookie and it was just one game. It is going to be a real test going against the Buc's defense.
[ Edited by Bloodless on Dec 8, 2022 at 6:33 PM ]

Ryans, Foerster evaluate rookie QB

It's not just the players who respect Purdy. The quarterback has earned the admiration of his coaches too. That includes defensive coordinator DeMeco Ryans and offensive line/run game coordinator Chris Foerster.

Ryans credits Purdy for helping the defense prepare for opponents as a member of the scout team.

"Brock, he's been great at giving us looks all year," Ryans said. "I think he's part of the reason our guys have been playing really well, because he is challenging. He's not just out there throwing picks to our guys. He's trying to actually fit the ball in and challenging our guys to really break on the ball and make plays.

"Brock has done that all year. He's not just out there just making it easy on the defense. I'm happy where we are defensively because of Brock. He's helped us a lot all year."

Ryans is also grateful for Purdy's athleticism and awareness.

"He feels the rush in the pocket," the coach said. "He's able to escape. One thing I liked about Brock is he's athletic. He can move out of the pocket and still try to create on the run. We play a lot of moving, athletic quarterbacks this year, and Brock did a really good job of giving us some looks of extending plays, and throwing the ball downfield, throwing no-look passes when we needed him to. He's done everything we've asked him to do. He's a true team player."

The bolded is interesting because I think a lot are overlooking the "mobility" aspect of Purdy's game.

Wouldn't be surprised if Shanny calls a Trey Lance type game plan.
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:

It's not just the players who respect Purdy. The quarterback has earned the admiration of his coaches too. That includes defensive coordinator DeMeco Ryans and offensive line/run game coordinator Chris Foerster.

Ryans credits Purdy for helping the defense prepare for opponents as a member of the scout team.

"Brock, he's been great at giving us looks all year," Ryans said. "I think he's part of the reason our guys have been playing really well, because he is challenging. He's not just out there throwing picks to our guys. He's trying to actually fit the ball in and challenging our guys to really break on the ball and make plays.

"Brock has done that all year. He's not just out there just making it easy on the defense. I'm happy where we are defensively because of Brock. He's helped us a lot all year."

"He feels the rush in the pocket," the coach said. "He's able to escape. One thing I liked about Brock is he's athletic. He can move out of the pocket and still try to create on the run. We play a lot of moving, athletic quarterbacks this year, and Brock did a really good job of giving us some looks of extending plays, and throwing the ball downfield, throwing no-look passes when we needed him to. He's done everything we've asked him to do. He's a true team player."

The bolded is interesting because I think a lot are overlooking the "mobility" aspect of Purdy's game.

And that would be beyond dumb unless it's outside runs where he can easily slide and go out of bounds. He gets hurt and we're forced to play Johnson and whatever hope we had goes to 0
I expect him to struggle in this game because the Bucs defense is top 10. I think it'll be like a 17-13 game with us winning.

But I'm hoping I'm wrong and we roll em!
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Is all this hype really setting Purdy up for success?

His most important quality will be how he handles adversity.

It's the nature of the NFL. You're gonna get some sort of pressure as soon as you're starting. Gotta perform, no better situation for a rookie QB.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:

And that would be beyond dumb unless it's outside runs where he can easily slide and go out of bounds. He gets hurt and we're forced to play Johnson and whatever hope we had goes to 0

we're going to see a naked bootleg, mark my words!

Some of y'all wrote books 📚📚📖📖 on them threads sheesh
The Cyclone!

Originally posted by DrippinGoldnRed805:
Some of y'all wrote books 📚📚📖📖 on them threads sheesh

fr lol...
Originally posted by FL9er:
Todd Bowles is gonna challenge him this week and the OL.

I know TB is 3-4, but they blitz quite a bit.

Huh? 3-4 is kind of the best (zone) blitz defense there is. 4 LBs to blitz instead of 3, and you never know which guys are coming.
But yeah, Tampa Bay's defense is no joke. We really need our own defense to step up and shut Brady down.
Share 49ersWebzone