LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 155 users in the forums

QB Brock Purdy Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Oh man, in one page, Kyle handpicked the next Russell Wilson. Here we go...

LOL

Yeah I mean whatever with Brock, maybe he turns into something maybe he doesn't. Pretending our OC/HC doesn't play any part of any QB coming in here is f**king dumb. We got the same posters that refuse to give Kyle credit for anything positive playing the same BS takes….it's part of the reason I'm spending less and less time in here, honestly.

Sounds like it was Slowik and Griese but of course, Kyle controls the 53 in the end. John sets up the 90.

49ers pro scout Steve Slowik, then an area scout who had studied Purdy at Iowa State, along with quarterbacks coach Brian Griese, was high on the young quarterback leading into this year's draft. San Francisco had high grades on Purdy in 2021, but this year's marks were more inconsistent.

Slowik and others inside the 49ers building remained confident that Purdy could contribute. San Francisco selected the Cyclones quarterback with pick No. 262, the last in the draft. But why not just wait to see if they could sign him as an undrafted free agent?

"We had some people in the building very convicted on him," Lynch shared. "So when it came to that final pick in the draft, it was kind of a no-brainer once he was there because we really wanted him as a free agent. We didn't want to take that chance, so we went ahead and drafted him."
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Alfienator:
Good read: Purdy-Niners
https://www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2022/12/09/how-brock-purdy-was-built-from-undraftable-to-49ers-starter-daily-cover

Crazy they added 5 MPH to his passes in just over a month.

I watched some of his college tape and his arm was an issue, but there was one pass this past Sunday…I think it was to Deebo in the end zone from like 20+ out (good throw looked like PI). That pass had some stank on it. I can't find the clip but overall it did show there's some zip there.

I wish there was a more tangible way to compare arm strength between quarterbacks.

Like, everyone is saying his arm is stronger than Nick Mullens but weaker than Jimmy's. But is that really true? And if so, by how much? Knowing he has a stronger arm than Mullens would make me feel better about his chances of succeeding, at least.
If you think the hype is bad now, watch it blow up if Purdy has another good game. And I'm here for it. Go out and ball, young Purdy.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
Did Brock do any zone read in college?

Quite a bit, that Iowa State offense also had a lot of RPO's in it.

This is actually a really good breakdown of what their offense looked like.

https://www.cover1.net/2021-nfl-draft-brock-purdy-iowa-state-qb/

Thanks Phoenix, great read. I feel like a couple zone keepers could really open things up for our running backs.
Sounds like it was Slowik and Griese but of course, Kyle controls the 53 in the end. John sets up the 90.

49ers pro scout Steve Slowik, then an area scout who had studied Purdy at Iowa State, along with quarterbacks coach Brian Griese, was high on the young quarterback leading into this year's draft. San Francisco had high grades on Purdy in 2021, but this year's marks were more inconsistent.

Slowik and others inside the 49ers building remained confident that Purdy could contribute. San Francisco selected the Cyclones quarterback with pick No. 262, the last in the draft. But why not just wait to see if they could sign him as an undrafted free agent?

"We had some people in the building very convicted on him," Lynch shared. "So when it came to that final pick in the draft, it was kind of a no-brainer once he was there because we really wanted him as a free agent. We didn't want to take that chance, so we went ahead and drafted him."

I mean this is the way it always works. Coaches coach, scouts scout, it'd be weird to have a coach keeping up with late round players in particular. Scouts make their case for a player and the decision makers, in this case Kyle and Lynch, give it a thumbs up or down.
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
I wish there was a more tangible way to compare arm strength between quarterbacks.

Like, everyone is saying his arm is stronger than Nick Mullens but weaker than Jimmy's. But is that really true? And if so, by how much? Knowing he has a stronger arm than Mullens would make me feel better about his chances of succeeding, at least.

5 mph per the article improved. I'm sure there is a test but just watching things it comes out quicker than Mullens. Is it strong enough to hit those deep ones consistently? A different conversation.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Dec 9, 2022 at 4:07 PM ]
This weekend will go down in history. This is the weekend that Tom Brady loses and passes the baton to the "next Tom Brady (who was the next Joe Montana)" - AKA Brock "too much cock" Purdy!

yes - I'm just dreaming. Haha it would be super cool though!
[ Edited by tankle104 on Dec 9, 2022 at 4:10 PM ]
More accurate on the run than any of our QBs in recent history.
Originally posted by Heroism:
If you think the hype is bad now, watch it blow up if Purdy has another good game. And I'm here for it. Go out and ball, young Purdy.

Every bit of it. I can't wait. QB threads in the WZ are legit entertainment.

I mean this is the way it always works. Coaches coach, scouts scout, it'd be weird to have a coach keeping up with late round players in particular. Scouts make their case for a player and the decision makers, in this case Kyle and Lynch, give it a thumbs up or down.

Exactly. Esp. if they are convicted on a player...hell, even position coaches like Kocurek with Kinlaw.

The more and more I watch of Purdy's college highlights....

Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:

5 mph per the article improved. I'm sure there is a test but just watching things it comes out quicker than Mullens. Is it strong enough to hit those deep ones consistently? A different conversation.

The test to me is the eye test. That one pass to Kittle over the middle when BP was about to get planted, passed the test for me. Quick release? Check. On a line? Check. He had no room to step up. It was all arm.

As each week goes by, we will get a better idea, but for now, the first sample is promising.
Originally posted by Heroism:

Every bit of it. I can't wait. QB threads in the WZ are legit entertainment.

Originally posted by tankle104:
This weekend will go down in history. This is the weekend that Tom Brady loses and passes the baton to the "next Tom Brady (who was the next Joe Montana)" - AKA Brock "too much cock" Purdy!

yes - I'm just dreaming. Haha it would be super cool though!

Let's pump the brakes on this stuff. It adds nothing to the conversation.

IIRC, the scouts brought him to the attention of Shanahan and Lynch who gave a look at the tape and affirmed him worthy of a priority UDFA signing. Then as time went along, and they had more time to look at him, they began to like him more and made the call to draft him rather than risk UDFA.
Share 49ersWebzone