Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by cciowa:
There is no way that they didn't know that Mac was leaning heavy toward retirement after the season ended and before FA and the draft. If they didn't believe that their starting center was already on the roster, they would have addressed the position well before training camp.

i just hope they know what they are doing for treys sake and the overall sake of the team

I would say that 2 NFCCG's and a SB in the past 3 years would put more faith in the faithful when it comes to John and Kyle but apparently not.

Totally agreed. I don't think there's any doubt the Faithful have total faith in this being a very competitive and winning team. See the PYMWYMI thread.

However, discussing blindspots is more than fair.

You bet your ass Chiefs fans and Bengals fans believed their OL cost them a Superbowl. Their FO went out immediately and tried to rectify it. Those actions typically assauge fans concerns.

Never heard of the word assuage. I had to look it up. lol

The 49ers are known to address trouble spots a year too late. Just like corner. Overall we can all agree that the front office knows what they're doing to field a competitive team however we also know that they don't make certain moves that they should. Like pass rusher or corner the last couple years, they addressed those positions one year too late and it definitely cost us. I see the same thing going on with the line.

Like you said Kansas City and Cincinnati made a PLETHORA of moves to address their weaknesses and we did not. Plain and simple

Maybe if Trey's development really takes a hit because of it or he's proven he has that 'it' factor and they feel OL would really help him get to that next level, they might next year. Right? RIGHT??

One can only hope. At least Trey can escape pressure and not choke when out of the pocket unlike Jimmy G. There's that I guess but we all want him throwing darts to Deebo and BA in the pocket too

Trey is going to do good - I have high hopes for the kid.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Maybe we are going to see Brunskill at C again and Moore at RG

Brunskill was backup center yesterday apparently.

So far so good for Brendel. He's the current starting center, or so it seems, for the first team reps. If he wins the starting center job and does well, ShanaLynch basically saves a day 2 draft pick in my opinion. At least that's what I would spend on a needed center in next years draft.
Originally posted by Giedi:

So far so good for Brendel. He's the current starting center, or so it seems, for the first team reps. If he wins the starting center job and does well, ShanaLynch basically saves a day 2 draft pick in my opinion. At least that's what I would spend on a needed center in next years draft.

It would be ideal if he pans out. Obviously we have no idea what the team will look like after this season, but id imagine improving the offensive line is on top of that list regardless.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

It would be ideal if he pans out. Obviously we have no idea what the team will look like after this season, but id imagine improving the offensive line is on top of that list regardless.

I agree. Its the only position group left to really upgrade. I hope at least one of these drafted 3rd, 4th or 5th round O lineman turn out to be a long term starter. I also wouldn't mind if they did nothing but draft O lineman in 2023.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Jul 28, 2022 at 2:46 PM ]

I agree. Its the only position group left to really upgrade. I hope at least one of these drafted 3rd, 4th or 5th round O lineman turn out to be a long term starter. I also wouldn't mind if they did nothing but draft O lineman in 2023.

Well, since TBs C went down today I expect them to sign JC Tretter. They replaced their retired guard with Shaq Mason, Godwin temporarily with Julio Jones, Gronk with Kyle Rudolph. At least their GM doesn't accept a potential loss like the desperate Rams usually do (see Allen Robinson for Woods and cb Troy Hill for Williams)

it would be nice if we had better talent than a bunch of late round guards/Tackles battling it out for C and RG
[ Edited by elguapo on Jul 28, 2022 at 2:52 PM ]

Based on reports today, it's starting to sound like Brunskill is getting most of the starting reps at C. With Burford and Moore at RG. I'm not sure if that's because they already know what they have in Brendel and want a real competition there or if they think he's the early favorite and it's his to lose; veteran courtesy starts?

I do not feel comfortable with Brunskill starting at either spot. No issues as a 6th man.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Based on reports today, it's starting to sound like Brunskill is getting most of the starting reps at C. With Burford and Moore at RG. I'm not sure if that's because they already know what they have in Brendel and want a real competition there or if they think he's the early favorite and it's his to lose; veteran courtesy starts?

I do not feel comfortable with Brunskill starting at either spot. No issues as a 6th man.

Well that was a fast end to the Brendel experiment.

I hope not. I saw zero good film on Brunskill at C (that I remember). Really liked Brendel's.

The only reason I can think of.. is finding our depth after the anointed starter

If I were comfortable with Brunskill at any position, it would be at center just because of his familiarity with the offense and he won't be asked to do a lot of 1v1 pass blocking.

Brendel had most of the snaps yesterday so I wouldn't jump to any conclusions just yet. Lets see what happens when they put the pads on.

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

The only reason I can think of.. is finding our depth after the anointed starter

Anointed starter? Brendel has less snaps at center than Brunskill. That just doesn't add up.
Yes, he was penciled in as starter this entire offseason

If I were comfortable with Brunskill at any position, it would be at center just because of his familiarity with the offense and he won't be asked to do a lot of 1v1 pass blocking.

Brendel had most of the snaps yesterday so I wouldn't jump to any conclusions just yet. Lets see what happens when they put the pads on.

I am not at all comfortable with Brunskill at center unless he's really, really, really improved. It sounds like in practice Buford and Moore were getting torched but I would expect that from those guys. What's concerning is that Brendel who very much needs snaps isn't getting them if we're considering him to compete. If they really want to make the OL super effective, play Brunskill at RT until McG can prove he can get on the practice field and compete. It's really baffling to me that we seem to be giving McG his job back without proving he can take it back. At this point, I wouldn't even mind having West compete with Brendel.

You are right though YAC, I'll wait until the pads come on Monday.

Looking forward to some 1on1 videos in pads and pre season games and talking with you guys.

Anointed starter? Brendel has less snaps at center than Brunskill. That just doesn't add up.
That's like saying Lance has less snaps at QB than Jimmy.
Don't give up on my boy just yet.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Alfienator:

That's like saying Lance has less snaps at QB than Jimmy.

Actually it's not. We were told Brendel would be the center and he's been replaced by Brunskill. It would be like if Lance takes the first 3 reps with the 1s and suddenly they announce Jimmy is going to now take reps with the 1s for the next 2 days.

see what happens when we are told things? you always go by what people including the niner brass do and not what they tell us
Share 49ersWebzone