LISTEN: Kansas City Week With Carrington Harrison →

There are 211 users in the forums

C Jake Brendel Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Based on reports today, it's starting to sound like Brunskill is getting most of the starting reps at C. With Burford and Moore at RG. I'm not sure if that's because they already know what they have in Brendel and want a real competition there or if they think he's the early favorite and it's his to lose; veteran courtesy starts?

I do not feel comfortable with Brunskill starting at either spot. No issues as a 6th man.

Well that was a fast end to the Brendel experiment.

not a shock to anyone except for kyle and lynch.. and in the meantime. you got a couple of centers out there we could pick up.... but of course... we like our guys. so we limp along . jesus
Originally posted by cciowa:
Based on reports today, it's starting to sound like Brunskill is getting most of the starting reps at C. With Burford and Moore at RG. I'm not sure if that's because they already know what they have in Brendel and want a real competition there or if they think he's the early favorite and it's his to lose; veteran courtesy starts?

I do not feel comfortable with Brunskill starting at either spot. No issues as a 6th man.

not a shock to anyone except for kyle and lynch.. and in the meantime. you got a couple of centers out there we could pick up.... but of course... we like our guys. so we limp along . jesus

Tretter is the name that keeps getting thrown around. There must be something up with him. No one has picked him up this off season. TB's starting center went down during practice and they haven't even signed Tretter. You should be asking yourself, what is wrong with the guy that he hasn't been signed yet? His performance grades look solid. So again, why won't anyone sign him?

Who else is out there that is better than what we have currently?
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Jul 30, 2022 at 5:08 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YACBros85:

Tretter is the name that keeps getting thrown around. There must be something up with him. No one has picked him up this off season. TB's starting center went down during practice and they haven't even signed Tretter. You should be asking yourself, what is wrong with the guy that he hasn't been signed yet? His performance grades look solid. So again, why won't anyone sign him?

anyone has to be better,,, now, never mind we got into this reactive mess in the first place cuz mr gold jacket who pretty much knew mack would be gone before the draft and free agency... did not act... so the good college centers were swooped up.. the top centers in free agency got picked up and here we set.. with a couple of guys who are not even decent .. all pros are not needed.. but this whole line led by this center thing is a huge concern. no matter how high a hopes you have for trey and the offense. if the line is crap.. it does not matter

anyone has to be better,,, now, never mind we got into this reactive mess in the first place cuz mr gold jacket who pretty much knew mack would be gone before the draft and free agency... did not act... so the good college centers were swooped up.. the top centers in free agency got picked up and here we set.. with a couple of guys who are not even decent .. all pros are not needed.. but this whole line led by this center thing is a huge concern. no matter how high a hopes you have for trey and the offense. if the line is crap.. it does not matter

Why do you keep blaming Lynch for this? This is Shanahan's offense.

Anyone has to be better? That means you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to player personnel. Taking anyone off the street just to put another body in camp doesn't make this O line any better.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

Anyone has to be better? That means you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to player personnel. Taking anyone off the street just to put another body in camp doesn't make this O line any better.
fine., its on kyle. whoever.. never said i was a gm..... i just go by what is unfolding so far when we were told its jakes job and now suddenly it seems its not. sounds like they are throwing s**t at the wall and hoping something will stick.. yep... that is a great plan for a huge key to this offense behind a young qb.. hoping and praying and hoping that dreams come true

fine., its on kyle. whoever.. never said i was a gm..... i just go by what is unfolding so far when we were told its jakes job and now suddenly it seems its not. sounds like they are throwing s**t at the wall and hoping something will stick.. yep... that is a great plan for a huge key to this offense behind a young qb.. hoping and praying and hoping that dreams come true

Who said Jake wasn't the front runner? Why not take a few non padded practices to get a good look at a few guys at different spots? If by the second pre season game the O line looks like garbage than start panicking. As of now, its just overreaction.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Don't give up on my boy just yet.

Brunskill played decently as a guard last year, and Sapaulu and Randy Cross were former guards that did pretty well as centers. With a Mobil QB behind him, I think the Brunskill at center will have a bit easier job of pass protecting as long as center and QB have that rapport. For the most part Brunskill at Center won't have a DLineman in front of him. Hs should free to help out both guards in pass protections, at least if the Run game is dominating - and defense has to go to a balanced base run defense.

Who said Jake wasn't the front runner? Why not take a few non padded practices to get a good look at a few guys at different spots? If by the second pre season game the O line looks like garbage than start panicking. As of now, its just overreaction.

I don't even pay much attention to TC until the pads come on especially in the trenches.
Originally posted by Giedi:

Brunskill played decently as a guard last year, and Sapaulu and Randy Cross were former guards that did pretty well as centers. With a Mobil QB behind him, I think the Brunskill at center will have a bit easier job of pass protecting as long as center and QB have that rapport. For the most part Brunskill at Center won't have a DLineman in front of him. Hs should free to help out both guards in pass protections, at least if the Run game is dominating - and defense has to go to a balanced base run defense.

I've already seen Brunskill at C. It isn't pretty. Sounds like he still has snapping issues too.
Originally posted by SFrush:
I don't even pay much attention to TC until the pads come on especially in the trenches.

That's the right approach. Kyle is using practice properly to find out what works best for his QB, what strengths and weaknesses, which tight window throws are best, touch, etc.

No different with Foerster and Lynn trying to figure out this OL group. And they won't start seeing that until the pads come on.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 30, 2022 at 8:21 AM ]

• Giedi
  • Veteran

I've already seen Brunskill at C. It isn't pretty. Sounds like he still has snapping issues too.

Agree that Brunskill isn't physically the most talented center we have. I think Brendel and West are more physically talented as a Center. However, what Brunskill has is *experience* and that's something you might want to have with a young QB like Trey. I think as Brendel, West, Poe get more *experience* via practice - as the season wears on - you have a plan to move one of these guys to the starting lineup sometime during the season if Brunskill is deficient.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SFrush:

That's the right approach. Kyle is using practice properly to find out what works best for his QB, what strengths and weaknesses, which tight window throws are best, touch, etc.

No different with Foerster and Lynn trying to figure out this OL group. And they won't start seeing that until the pads come on.

Agree, and as I said previously, I'd play with moving the run blocking power around to the left side, right side, or not - and see how the run game goes.

If I was HC, I'd let the run game determine who is at center - I.e. Brendel, Brunskill or whoever. If the run is better under Brendal - go with Brendal, and vica versa, or try a different guy at center. The passing game is important, don't get me wrong, but the offense starts with the run game (for now) as Trey gets up to speed. Plenty of time to develop the passing game if the run game is strong.

Good call Giedi!

I'd actually prefer him at center over Brunskill.
Best man wins at Center. I think him and Brunskill might struggle due to lack of strength. But it's what we got. Seems like Brunskill has taken over the job.
Share 49ersWebzone