C Jake Brendel Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Don't give up on my boy just yet.

Brunskill played decently as a guard last year, and Sapaulu and Randy Cross were former guards that did pretty well as centers. With a Mobil QB behind him, I think the Brunskill at center will have a bit easier job of pass protecting as long as center and QB have that rapport. For the most part Brunskill at Center won't have a DLineman in front of him. Hs should free to help out both guards in pass protections, at least if the Run game is dominating - and defense has to go to a balanced base run defense.

Good call Giedi!

Well I do like Brendel and if he's physically superior to Brunskill, I'd like him to start - however, my fear is that Brendel's lack of experience might endanger Trey. That's the last thing I want, is anything remotely dangerous happening to our franchise QB. I actually like Burford to start at center - I want as physically dominating a center as I can get for the run game. I doubt that will happen though.

Well I do like Brendel and if he's physically superior to Brunskill, I'd like him to start - however, my fear is that Brendel's lack of experience might endanger Trey. That's the last thing I want, is anything remotely dangerous happening to our franchise QB. I actually like Burford to start at center - I want as physically dominating a center as I can get for the run game. I doubt that will happen though.

Burford is primarily going to be a guard to start, maybe they move him to tackle later, but I think they'll try to plug him in at right guard to start.
Burford isn't a NFL center.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Burford is primarily going to be a guard to start, maybe they move him to tackle later, but I think they'll try to plug him in at right guard to start.

Originally posted by lamontb:

I know, but McGlinchey never having played Right Guard in his entire life was asked to play Right Guard as a rookie.

But agree, Burford is going to play guard or tackle. I think Brendel and Brunskill are probably better overall in terms of experience and talent for the Center Spot. I do like some powerful guards this year so that Kyle can do both gap/power and zone blocking.

Having said that - my dream is the 49ers having a hall of famer at the center position and a hall of famer at the left Tackle (outside of Trent Williams). In other words, I want a powerful center and a elite LT once Trent retires. That means, next years draft and the year after that, I'll be with NCommand pounding the table for a 2nd round pick every year to be an OLine pick until that is done.

I know, but McGlinchey never having played Right Guard in his entire life was asked to play Right Guard as a rookie.

But agree, Burford is going to play guard or tackle. I think Brendel and Brunskill are probably better overall in terms of experience and talent for the Center Spot. I do like some powerful guards this year so that Kyle can do both gap/power and zone blocking.

Having said that - my dream is the 49ers having a hall of famer at the center position and a hall of famer at the left Tackle (outside of Trent Williams). In other words, I want a powerful center and a elite LT once Trent retires. That means, next years draft and the year after that, I'll be with NCommand pounding the table for a 2nd round pick every year to be an OLine pick until that is done.

Why not a first?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Why not a first?

First rounders go towards QB's.
I thought he played pretty good against the Packers. Hopefully this continues.
He played great in pre season last year. Let's hope it carries over. Definitely looking like the starter
Just watching the game last night I thought he looked pretty good. Have always liked his preseason film even last year. I think he's for sure better than Brunskill. I think he can atleast be a middle of the pack quality center, which frees up Brunskill to be our backup utility OL which I think he's perfect for.
Congrats dude. You proved me right thus far. Now prove you can get better and better and play at an above average level for 17+ weeks!

Congrats dude. You proved me right thus far. Now prove you can get better and better and play at an above average level for 17+ weeks!

I sure hope we can say that about Banks and Burford as well.
Originally posted by Luckycharms:
Just watching the game last night I thought he looked pretty good. Have always liked his preseason film even last year. I think he's for sure better than Brunskill. I think he can atleast be a middle of the pack quality center, which frees up Brunskill to be our backup utility OL which I think he's perfect for.

Piggybacking on this: 2021 preseason: 70 pass blocking snaps, 1 pressure allowed.
2022 preseason: 22 pass blocking snaps, 0 pressures allowed
  • thl408

Piggybacking on this: 2021 preseason: 70 pass blocking snaps, 1 pressure allowed.

That doesn't suck. I'll take it. Centers don't usually give up a lot of pressures though, it seems. It's Brendel's play in the run game that needs to be better than, "doesn't suck". Kyle puts emphasis on centers that can move in the run game.
Originally posted by YACBros85:

I sure hope we can say that about Banks and Burford as well.

Then we'd be rolling!
Originally posted by thl408:

That doesn't suck. I'll take it. Centers don't usually give up a lot of pressures though, it seems. It's Brendel's play in the run game that needs to be better than, "doesn't suck". Kyle puts emphasis on centers that can move in the run game.

And making correct pre snap protection calls.
Share 49ersWebzone