LISTEN: Kansas City Week With Carrington Harrison →

There are 217 users in the forums

C Jake Brendel Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by elguapo:
I think I have finally accepted that Brendel may be our starting center. I made a similar post in the OL thread. According to Kyle Shanahan, he's very comfortable with the center room we have now. I really wanted JC Tretter but I guess that might not be happening.

Trent Williams also said he is so athletic and twitchy that because of his elite athleticism we might not have much of a drop off from Mack last year. Chris Forrester also likes him a lot.

Jake Brendel's relative athletic score of 9.94 was off the charts. Since measuring this statistic, he is top 10 all-time for any center ever drafted.

Since 2006 only 2 centers have a higher RAS score:
Chris Chester 10 and Garrett Bradbury 9.96.
Brendel scored 9.94 (tied with Rob Hunt)

Of course playing center is more mental than physical but I guess Brendel has been snapping to Trey Lance for a while now and had been in our system for a few years so he might not be that much of a drop off maybe even an upgrade athletically. I'm just keeping my hopes up and I think you all should too.

Yeah those athletic numbers are pretty tight...issue is he was like 285lbs when he did all those drills. I saw he's right around 300lbs right now, which is still a little light in the pants but is right around the same size as Richburg. Sounds like he's still got those movement skills though.

It's funny you tossed out Chris Chester's name...he played for the shanahan's in DC and for Kyle in ATL. I think he ended up being their starting RG for them and started in 100 games for them.

One thing you need when the center is a little smaller is bigger guards IMO. Banks fits the bill there, not sure about Brunskill
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by elguapo:
I think I have finally accepted that Brendel may be our starting center. I made a similar post in the OL thread. According to Kyle Shanahan, he's very comfortable with the center room we have now. I really wanted JC Tretter but I guess that might not be happening.

Trent Williams also said he is so athletic and twitchy that because of his elite athleticism we might not have much of a drop off from Mack last year. Chris Forrester also likes him a lot.

Jake Brendel's relative athletic score of 9.94 was off the charts. Since measuring this statistic, he is top 10 all-time for any center ever drafted.

Since 2006 only 2 centers have a higher RAS score:
Chris Chester 10 and Garrett Bradbury 9.96.
Brendel scored 9.94 (tied with Rob Hunt)

Of course playing center is more mental than physical but I guess Brendel has been snapping to Trey Lance for a while now and had been in our system for a few years so he might not be that much of a drop off maybe even an upgrade athletically. I'm just keeping my hopes up and I think you all should too.

Yeah those athletic numbers are pretty tight...issue is he was like 285lbs when he did all those drills. I saw he's right around 300lbs right now, which is still a little light in the pants but is right around the same size as Richburg. Sounds like he's still got those movement skills though.

It's funny you tossed out Chris Chester's name...he played for the shanahan's in DC and for Kyle in ATL. I think he ended up being their starting RG for them and started in 100 games for them.

One thing you need when the center is a little smaller is bigger guards IMO. Banks fits the bill there, not sure about Brunskill

Good points.
The pre season should show us who he is. I have hesitations about a no name, low ranked lineman taking over our center position, but I don't see him in practice and the coaches do. But the people that just keep repeating Tretter as a solution given his medical history wouldn't seem to know anymore than I do.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by KegBert:
Foerster and Shanny are both high on this guy which is good enough for me at the moment. Time will tell but I like the idea of taking a (possibly long term) swing on a super athletic and healthy player over a 1 year rental on Tretter who has been held together with baindaids and athletic tape for the last couple years.

He's 29 and only signed for this year so ATM, he's probably not seen as a long term solution. But he certainly has the path to putting himself into that conversation for a 2-3 year deal.

Fair point, he may just be a placeholder for the time being depending on his play. I honestly have high hopes for Poe at center, although I'm not entirely sure how Shanny views him as of now. Center, guard and OW 2.0 are all potential options for him.
[ Edited by KegBert on Jun 10, 2022 at 6:59 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Foerster and Shanny are both high on this guy which is good enough for me at the moment. Time will tell but I like the idea of taking a (possibly long term) swing on a super athletic and healthy player over a 1 year rental on Tretter who has been held together with baindaids and athletic tape for the last couple years.

He's 29 and only signed for this year so ATM, he's probably not seen as a long term solution. But he certainly has the path to putting himself into that conversation for a 2-3 year deal.

Fair point, he may just be a placeholder for the time being depending on his play. I honestly have high hopes for Poe at center, although I'm not entirely sure how Shanny views him as of now. Center, guard and OW 2.0 are all potential options for him.

Yeah, him and Dohnovan West too.
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:

I'll add this from his draft profile...
Brendel brings everything you'd want in a center: leadership (three-time co-captain), intelligence (first-team Academic All-Conference pick), reliability (four-year starter), and production (second-team All-Pac-12 pick in 2014 and 2015)

Sounds like he played a lot of football at UCLA, durable. Sounds like he held his own vs Danny Shelton who was a monster in college. Trying to find any clips of him in Denver/Miami. Looks like he can move and pull.
49ers fans can just hope Brendel becomes another Raheem Mostert minus the injuries.
A journeyman with limited experience, a preseason warrior, who turns out pretty good when he gets a chance to start in Shanahan system.
Originally posted by richterkbelmont:
49ers fans can just hope Brendel becomes another Raheem Mostert minus the injuries.
A journeyman with limited experience, a preseason warrior, who turns out pretty good when he gets a chance to start in Shanahan system.

Pretty much...one guy that comes to mind is Ryan Jensen, he was a late 6th rd pick in 2013 and got cut on the PS for the Ravens. He wasn't a full-time starter until 2017. David Andrews was a UDFA, Chase Roullier was a late 6th rd pick. Bradley Bozeman late 6th rd pick. Jason Kelce 6th rd pick.

fingers crossed...I would have liked them to draft someone, thought there was some solid prospects but we're not around these guys like our coaches are.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by richterkbelmont:

Pretty much...one guy that comes to mind is Ryan Jensen, he was a late 6th rd pick in 2013 and got cut on the PS for the Ravens. He wasn't a full-time starter until 2017. David Andrews was a UDFA, Chase Roullier was a late 6th rd pick. Bradley Bozeman late 6th rd pick. Jason Kelce 6th rd pick.

fingers crossed...I would have liked them to draft someone, thought there was some solid prospects but we're not around these guys like our coaches are.

Jason Kelce was a day 3 pick because "he was too small"
Yeah drafting a guy whould've been nice for the 49ers. But I didn't see a Creed Humphries caliber prospect this year. Lot of people mocked Dhonovan West high and he went undrafted.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Who?

a total unknown that the niner spinsters are trying to jam down our throats
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Who?

i think you like stuff jammed down your whatevers..as much as you post this reference

Niner spinsters? Wouldn't it be the 49ers themselves trying to "jam down throats" since you know, it's them that is making the decisions? What else are we supposed to do except look at the positives and hope for the best?

He is not an unknown to Trey which is key. He was Trey's center for basically all of last season.
OL is a common place for veterans to emerge after years of doing nothing

It is also a position where the sum is greater than the parts...teamwork and familiarity improve the overall performance. This is even more so in the zone scheme KS runs.

Dont annoint Brendel a HOFer but give the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt if they think he is ready
Share 49ersWebzone