LISTEN: Kansas City Week With Carrington Harrison →

There are 191 users in the forums

C Jake Brendel Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
This was my #1 concern with him. Was he going to be another in a long line of serviceable dudes who gets worse over time, esp. a 17 game season?

The answer is a resounding, no. Resign him. Keep grooming his backup if he's on this roster.

Nick Zakelj is who I think they are grooming.
Originally posted by dj43:
Another strong game. He moved up two more slots in the rankings. Now #13 of 39. That is up from #28 in the early season.

This was my #1 concern with him. Was he going to be another in a long line of serviceable dudes who gets worse over time, esp. a 17 game season?

The answer is a resounding, no. Resign him. Keep grooming his backup if he's on this roster.

Means a lot when it is NC talking about an o-lineman.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Nick Zakelj is who I think they are grooming.

I absolutely keep hearing that too. They love his football IQ.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
do we still have West on the PS ?

Never was added. He's signed to the XFL now. Not sure what the issue was with him.

Big disappointment. IIRC, we paid him the most for him as an UDFA too.
Originally posted by libertyforever:
Another strong game. He moved up two more slots in the rankings. Now #13 of 39. That is up from #28 in the early season.

Means a lot when it is NC talking about an o-lineman.

I have DL-like standards on par with our rich tradition. LOL
must re-sign
Looks like the staff was right about Brendel. We can lock him up long term and draft a center of the future on day 3. Use 3rd round picks on FS, OT or DT, and a TE.
  • thl408
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Looks like the staff was right about Brendel. We can lock him up long term and draft a center of the future on day 3. Use 3rd round picks on FS, OT or DT, and a TE.

With the alternative being 'get lucky', since a draft pick is a crapshoot and any vet free agent signing is expensive, I'd say re-signing Brendl is a high priority. He either got better as the season went on, or I was wrong thinking he was not good in the first part of the year.
I was a big critic early on but he did really improve so a pay upgrade is warranted.

Needs to clean up his penalties though. We had too many drive killing penalties from the OL in general, but he had the most.
How much are we willing to pay to resign this guy? How much is he wanting?

Thoughts?

Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:

Thoughts?

He made $1M this year. He should be in the $2.5-2.7M range. That would match up quite well with his overall performance ranking in the league.

There are three quality FA centers this year that will all get $10-12M/yr deals. One other, Ethan Pocic, is projected at $7.2M. After that, there were 9 who earned less than $2M this year. Brendel is in the upper end of that group. So, we'll see what the market is. My guess is he stays here. He has a new baby and may not want to go through relocation.

NCommand gonna see this post and be like :

no need to draft a "center of the future" right now. we need to be worried about RT. brunskill can fill in at C if Brendel gets hurt

Thoughts?

He made $1M this year. He should be in the $2.5-2.7M range. That would match up quite well with his overall performance ranking in the league.

There are three quality FA centers this year that will all get $10-12M/yr deals. One other, Ethan Pocic, is projected at $7.2M. After that, there were 9 who earned less than $2M this year. Brendel is in the upper end of that group. So, we'll see what the market is. My guess is he stays here. He has a new baby and may not want to go through relocation.

interesting, awesome job on the information. Definitely should resign him if hes in that 2.5-2.7 range if hes willing. If they don't I wonder if the 49ers will go after a higher paying center assuming they're better than Brendel. I wouldn't be against it too since the center makes all the line calls and most of the line adjustments.

Thoughts?

interesting, awesome job on the information. Definitely should resign him if hes in that 2.5-2.7 range if hes willing. If they don't I wonder if the 49ers will go after a higher paying center assuming they're better than Brendel. I wouldn't be against it too since the center makes all the line calls and most of the line adjustments.

The next jump up would be to Ethan Pocic whose estimated market value is $7.2, according to Spotrac. He finished the year ranked #3 by PFF. There really isn't anyone obvious between Brendel and Pocic. Pocic was just average while in Seattle but bloomed in Cleveland.
[ Edited by dj43 on Feb 6, 2023 at 5:22 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone