LISTEN: Kansas City Week With Carrington Harrison →

There are 194 users in the forums

C Jake Brendel Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by evil:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Looks like the staff was right about Brendel. We can lock him up long term and draft a center of the future on day 3. Use 3rd round picks on FS, OT or DT, and a TE.

NCommand gonna see this post and be like :

But he just wants a great OL (top 3-5 would be nice for a change) like we all do.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
How much are we willing to pay to resign this guy? How much is he wanting?

Thoughts?

He made $1M this year. He should be in the $2.5-2.7M range. That would match up quite well with his overall performance ranking in the league.

There are three quality FA centers this year that will all get $10-12M/yr deals. One other, Ethan Pocic, is projected at $7.2M. After that, there were 9 who earned less than $2M this year. Brendel is in the upper end of that group. So, we'll see what the market is. My guess is he stays here. He has a new baby and may not want to go through relocation.

interesting, awesome job on the information. Definitely should resign him if hes in that 2.5-2.7 range if hes willing. If they don't I wonder if the 49ers will go after a higher paying center assuming they're better than Brendel. I wouldn't be against it too since the center makes all the line calls and most of the line adjustments.

The next jump up would be to Ethan Pocic whose estimated market value is $7.2, according to Spotrac. He finished the year ranked #3 by PFF. There really isn't anyone obvious between Brendel and Pocic. Pocic was just average while in Seattle but bloomed in Cleveland.

If they can get him for a great deal I wouldn't mind the 49ers getting Ethan. PFF says he had only 1 penalty and just 2 sacks this year if I'm reading it correctly lol.
[ Edited by DRCHOWDER on Feb 6, 2023 at 8:19 PM ]
Brendel's ok but IMHO not what's needed at the position. I'd heard Zakelj was potentially the C of the future...he's big, strong and versatile. I don't think we've had a big, dominant C since Newberry. If they keep Brendel, it should be as a b/u. The draft is a source they shouldn't overlook, either. Pocic would be a bargain at @ $7M.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Brendel's ok but IMHO not what's needed at the position. I'd heard Zakelj was potentially the C of the future...he's big, strong and versatile. I don't think we've had a big, dominant C since Newberry. If they keep Brendel, it should be as a b/u. The draft is a source they shouldn't overlook, either. Pocic would be a bargain at @ $7M.

Agreed. I remember when we brought in Mack. Trent Williams was so excited and said a top Center is the secret to Kyle's scheme. Its the one thing that drives me nuts - Kyles seemingly lack of attention to the o-line during his tenure.

He would. However, given the lack of quality FA Centers this year, I expect the market to drive his price closer to $9M. In either case, I would be surprised if go that route given our overall cap situation.

He would. However, given the lack of quality FA Centers this year, I expect the market to drive his price closer to $9M. In either case, I would be surprised if go that route given our overall cap situation.

Are these guys 4x better than brendel? who would you pay a premium for over brendel?
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

Are these guys 4x better than brendel? who would you pay a premium for over brendel?
Better but not 4x better.

Ethan Pocic would be the first look. Likely less than the other two decent UFAs. He had the best year but has only put up that one year. Seattle let him walk because he was meh in his time there. Maybe he is tired of the drama in Cleveland and jump at the chance to take down his old team twice a year. I might go there, depending on how many existing contracts can be restructed to meet other needs.

Garrett Bradberry of the Vikings is identical size to Brendel. A little better RBLK but not as good at PP. Longer history at a high level runs his value up. 4 years, $12/yr. Not worth the difference in price, IMO. Also, with a new coach and high expectations, he may not want to leave anyway.

Bradley Bozeman of Carolina is UFA. Weak PP but very good RBLK. Overall the same rating as Brendel.

So...I resign Brendel.
Bottom line OL play is 5 guys acting as one. Trying to bring back as many as possible for the sake of continuity is important. Get a deal here on Brendel I don't think it would break the bank far from it. High end centers generally don't hit the market and in draft you are taking a rookie which is rolling dice and crossing fingers.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

Agreed. I remember when we brought in Mack. Trent Williams was so excited and said a top Center is the secret to Kyle's scheme. Its the one thing that drives me nuts - Kyles seemingly lack of attention to the o-line during his tenure.

Hopefully that changes with the emergence of Purdy as a first rate passer.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Bottom line OL play is 5 guys acting as one. Trying to bring back as many as possible for the sake of continuity is important. Get a deal here on Brendel I don't think it would break the bank far from it. High end centers generally don't hit the market and in draft you are taking a rookie which is rolling dice and crossing fingers.

Agreed.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

Hopefully that changes with the emergence of Purdy as a first rate passer.

Brender was a top tier center in pass blocking though. Just gotta get the run blocking there.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

Better but not 4x better.

Ethan Pocic would be the first look. Likely less than the other two decent UFAs. He had the best year but has only put up that one year. Seattle let him walk because he was meh in his time there. Maybe he is tired of the drama in Cleveland and jump at the chance to take down his old team twice a year. I might go there, depending on how many existing contracts can be restructed to meet other needs.

Garrett Bradberry of the Vikings is identical size to Brendel. A little better RBLK but not as good at PP. Longer history at a high level runs his value up. 4 years, $12/yr. Not worth the difference in price, IMO. Also, with a new coach and high expectations, he may not want to leave anyway.

Bradley Bozeman of Carolina is UFA. Weak PP but very good RBLK. Overall the same rating as Brendel.

So...I resign Brendel.

Agree on resigning Brunskill.

Number one takeaway for me—The great Eagles pass rush resulted in Zero sacks. Hope Shanny and Lynch noticed. I think the Chiefs also had just one sack. Build up the offensive line.
Originally posted by domingo:
Number one takeaway for me—The great Eagles pass rush resulted in Zero sacks. Hope Shanny and Lynch noticed. I think the Chiefs also had just one sack. Build up the offensive line.

The O-line this year was better in pass protection than any other season here. They started a rookie and a 2nd year player that was essentially a rookie. The center was a top 5 pass protecting center. I'm not quite following this narrative that they aren't doing anything to build the O-line. More can he done this offseason, but there was a clear pivot in philosophy to moment you saw Banks drafted in the 2nd round (remember when they thought guards wouldn't get drafted high in this system?).
Originally posted by domingo:

This, also keep emphasizing pass protecting O lineman as much or more than run blocking
Originally posted by elguapo:
This, also keep emphasizing pass protecting O lineman as much or more than run blocking

Which was done this year. Hence the top 5 pass blocking efficiency. Just need Banks, Burford and Brendel to keep getting better and then find a guy who can replace Burford at RG.

A lot of why KC and Philly are so good is because the opposition knows their QB can run so they have to be much more disciplined in how they attack. The few times both teams won and got pressure Hurts and Mahomes scrambled. Mahomes scramble won the game for KC.

If that game was Gardner Minshew vs Chad Henne the pass protection doesn't look the same.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by elguapo:

Which was done this year. Hence the top 5 pass blocking efficiency. Just need Banks, Burford and Brendel to keep getting better and then find a guy who can replace Burford at RG.

A lot of why KC and Philly are so good is because the opposition knows their QB can run so they have to be much more disciplined in how they attack. The few times both teams won and got pressure Hurts and Mahomes scrambled. Mahomes scramble won the game for KC.

If that game was Gardner Minshew vs Chad Henne the pass protection doesn't look the same.

I agree it was done this year however, we need a right tackle that is very good in pass protection. That would put us with no weaknesses on the roster
Share 49ersWebzone