LISTEN: Kansas City Week With Carrington Harrison →

There are 139 users in the forums

C Jake Brendel Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
The O-line this year was better in pass protection than any other season here. They started a rookie and a 2nd year player that was essentially a rookie. The center was a top 5 pass protecting center. I'm not quite following this narrative that they aren't doing anything to build the O-line. More can he done this offseason, but there was a clear pivot in philosophy to moment you saw Banks drafted in the 2nd round (remember when they thought guards wouldn't get drafted high in this system?).

The question and narrative is not are they doing anything to build the O-line, the question is have they succeeded in building the O-line? The answer is no. Hassan Reddick had one tackle yesterday and was basically eliminated.
Originally posted by domingo:
The O-line this year was better in pass protection than any other season here. They started a rookie and a 2nd year player that was essentially a rookie. The center was a top 5 pass protecting center. I'm not quite following this narrative that they aren't doing anything to build the O-line. More can he done this offseason, but there was a clear pivot in philosophy to moment you saw Banks drafted in the 2nd round (remember when they thought guards wouldn't get drafted high in this system?).

The question and narrative is not are they doing anything to build the O-line, the question is have they succeeded in building the O-line? The answer is no. Hassan Reddick had one tackle yesterday and was basically eliminated.

Very true Domingo. I said basically the same, if our RT is an upgrade in pass pro, we are set
Originally posted by elguapo:
Very true Domingo. I said basically the same, if our RT is an upgrade in pass pro, we are set

I'm not sure if there is a realistic RT in free agency that would be an upgrade over Mcglinch and by the end of the 3rd round, historically, talented tackles are long gone. I like the idea of improving the O-line by adding a number two Tight End that can block. Either in free agency or the draft. Darnell Washington would be perfect but we'd have to trade the house to move up for him.

I'm not sure if there is a realistic RT in free agency that would be an upgrade over Mcglinch and by the end of the 3rd round, historically, talented tackles are long gone. I like the idea of improving the O-line by adding a number two Tight End that can block. Either in free agency or the draft. Darnell Washington would be perfect but we'd have to trade the house to move up for him.

Yeah I wouldn't mind packaging picks for a player like that. There are no really good right tackles in free agency so we're going to have to see what we have on our roster which kind of sucks but last year it worked out so well with the interior when all of us were worried. I don't know if we can get lucky again like that with Colton McKivitz. I really do think we should move Brunskill to right tackle or Burford

Yeah I wouldn't mind packaging picks for a player like that. There are no really good right tackles in free agency so we're going to have to see what we have on our roster which kind of sucks but last year it worked out so well with the interior when all of us were worried. I don't know if we can get lucky again like that with Colton McKivitz. I really do think we should move Brunskill to right tackle or Burford

Honestly, I say stay put and develop what we have. Still should bring in a rookie, but you can make an argument that we could draft 11 guys and all 11 make the roster.

Two DTs (one a run stuffer and one as more of a 3T or just two run stuffers)
DE
FS (an argument can be made for two)
OL (tackle and C/G)
TE (blockers that possess receiving upside. Can make an argument for 2. I think two rookies could contribute just as much as any TE not named George Kittle has)
CB- Should take one every year and I'm not so confident in Ambry Thomas
WR- slot receiver
FB- Start grooming Juice's replacement

Ideally I'd want as many guys on rookie deals as possible and let's get them over that learning curve while our core guys are in their prime.
Kyle frapping late night to Brendel's mobility measurables for his center position.

Honestly, I say stay put and develop what we have. Still should bring in a rookie, but you can make an argument that we could draft 11 guys and all 11 make the roster.

DE
OL (tackle and C/G)
TE (blockers that possess receiving upside. Can make an argument for 2. I think two rookies could contribute just as much as any TE not named George Kittle has)
WR- slot receiver

Ideally I'd want as many guys on rookie deals as possible and let's get them over that learning curve while our core guys are in their prime.

I see what you're saying but I don't see how 11 guys can make the roster. We have to at least trade up this time around. I can't believe Lynch and Shanahan made no trades last draft. You're right about corner, just like Witherspoon, Thomas is so inconsistent in coverage we can't have that. He will cost us games so we definitely need to keep drafting corners. If we sign Moseley that would be a great get for us.

Rookies help as long as it doesn't cause a huge drop off and ultimately games because that could cost us a bye week and homefield advantage . Hopefully we can work them in here or there like we did with Hufanga or Burford this year

The way I see it, there is no end point. Even if you succeed in having the #1 O line, how long do you think they could sustain that type of success? Number of seasons? How long could a team keep that #1 O line under contract if they were to somehow be #1 for multiple seasons?

We had a completely new interior O line this past season and a RT coming back from a major injury. We still ranked top 10 as a blocking unit. I would imagine Banks, Brendel and Burford will grow and get better from their first full season of experience. The best thing we can do for this unit is allow the most continuity as possible while adding some depth. Then next year go get that top O line prospect in the draft.

DE
OL (tackle and C/G)
WR- slot receiver

I see what you're saying but I don't see how 11 guys can make the roster. We have to at least trade up this time around. I can't believe Lynch and Shanahan made no trades last draft. You're right about corner, just like Witherspoon, Thomas is so inconsistent in coverage we can't have that. He will cost us games so we definitely need to keep drafting corners. If we sign Moseley that would be a great get for us.

Rookies help as long as it doesn't cause a huge drop off and ultimately games because that could cost us a bye week and homefield advantage . Hopefully we can work them in here or there like we did with Hufanga or Burford this year

I undercounted how many guys were signed. I think I read there are 47 guys under contract. I still stand by all those picks and depending on how the draft falls,, players at those specific positions can make the team.

If a player in a position of need falls, then we should move up. Otherwise we should let the draft come to us and trade into 2024/trade back if we don't like what we see.

The three long shots would be a slot receiver, FB, and the G/C.
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on Feb 18, 2023 at 7:42 AM ]
Originally posted by YACBros85:
The way I see it, there is no end point. Even if you succeed in having the #1 O line, how long do you think they could sustain that type of success? Number of seasons? How long could a team keep that #1 O line under contract if they were to somehow be #1 for multiple seasons?

We had a completely new interior O line this past season and a RT coming back from a major injury. We still ranked top 10 as a blocking unit. I would imagine Banks, Brendel and Burford will grow and get better from their first full season of experience. The best thing we can do for this unit is allow the most continuity as possible while adding some depth. Then next year go get that top O line prospect in the draft.

Agree, and would add Moore and Poe to your list. Moore had an off yr from yr 1, possibly due to injuries. Poe…i think he makes the mix this yr.. Still, i wouldn't mind seeing us take 2, maybe 3 OLs with our rd 6 or 7 picks. See if they can beat out one of the guys above. Brun isn't mentioned, but if he played RT instead of RG, we would have used him maximally. He just plays tackle better than guard. Overall, tho, with just a yr together, these guys acquired themselves nicely.

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

Agree, and would add Moore and Poe to your list. Moore had an off yr from yr 1, possibly due to injuries. Poe…i think he makes the mix this yr.. Still, i wouldn't mind seeing us take 2, maybe 3 OLs with our rd 6 or 7 picks. See if they can beat out one of the guys above. Brun isn't mentioned, but if he played RT instead of RG, we would have used him maximally. He just plays tackle better than guard. Overall, tho, with just a yr together, these guys acquired themselves nicely.

I'm all for drafting O lineman. I think we should get our FS in FA and draft nothing but O & D lineman this year.

I'm all for drafting O lineman. I think we should get our FS in FA and draft nothing but O & D lineman this year.

I cant say you're crazy. You can never have enough lineman so getting into the habit of drafting and developing them every year would be wise as its hard to keep them once they are FA. Aside that aspect, if you draft ~6 tackles in 2 years. Odds are one will be a hit.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

I cant say you're crazy. You can never have enough lineman so getting into the habit of drafting and developing them every year would be wise as its hard to keep them once they are FA. Aside that aspect, if you draft ~6 tackles in 2 years. Odds are one will be a hit.

It does sound a little crazy but what you posted is exactly why I am in favor of it. And it is not like we have very many other needs anyway.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Feb 23, 2023 at 1:46 PM ]
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

It does sound a little crazy but what you posted is exactly why I am in favor of it. And it is not like we have very many other needs anyway.

What safety are you thinking? I saw someone throw out Poyer, but also think they are going to spend on a DT

Maybe a slot/outside corner too. But I agree. We're in striking distance of having the best OL and DL in the league. Make it happen.
Share 49ersWebzone