C Jake Brendel Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
The way I see it, there is no end point. Even if you succeed in having the #1 O line, how long do you think they could sustain that type of success? Number of seasons? How long could a team keep that #1 O line under contract if they were to somehow be #1 for multiple seasons?

We had a completely new interior O line this past season and a RT coming back from a major injury. We still ranked top 10 as a blocking unit. I would imagine Banks, Brendel and Burford will grow and get better from their first full season of experience. The best thing we can do for this unit is allow the most continuity as possible while adding some depth. Then next year go get that top O line prospect in the draft.

Agree, and would add Moore and Poe to your list. Moore had an off yr from yr 1, possibly due to injuries. Poe…i think he makes the mix this yr.. Still, i wouldn't mind seeing us take 2, maybe 3 OLs with our rd 6 or 7 picks. See if they can beat out one of the guys above. Brun isn't mentioned, but if he played RT instead of RG, we would have used him maximally. He just plays tackle better than guard. Overall, tho, with just a yr together, these guys acquired themselves nicely.

I'm all for drafting O lineman. I think we should get our FS in FA and draft nothing but O & D lineman this year.

I cant say you're crazy. You can never have enough lineman so getting into the habit of drafting and developing them every year would be wise as its hard to keep them once they are FA. Aside that aspect, if you draft ~6 tackles in 2 years. Odds are one will be a hit.

It does sound a little crazy but what you posted is exactly why I am in favor of it. And it is not like we have very many other needs anyway.

What safety are you thinking? I saw someone throw out Poyer, but also think they are going to spend on a DT

I don't have 1 particularly in mind but the names I see that will be available are Bates, Poyer, Love, Rapp and Thornhill.
The way I see it, there is no end point. Even if you succeed in having the #1 O line, how long do you think they could sustain that type of success? Number of seasons? How long could a team keep that #1 O line under contract if they were to somehow be #1 for multiple seasons?

We had a completely new interior O line this past season and a RT coming back from a major injury. We still ranked top 10 as a blocking unit. I would imagine Banks, Brendel and Burford will grow and get better from their first full season of experience. The best thing we can do for this unit is allow the most continuity as possible while adding some depth. Then next year go get that top O line prospect in the draft.

Agree, and would add Moore and Poe to your list. Moore had an off yr from yr 1, possibly due to injuries. Poe…i think he makes the mix this yr.. Still, i wouldn't mind seeing us take 2, maybe 3 OLs with our rd 6 or 7 picks. See if they can beat out one of the guys above. Brun isn't mentioned, but if he played RT instead of RG, we would have used him maximally. He just plays tackle better than guard. Overall, tho, with just a yr together, these guys acquired themselves nicely.

I'm all for drafting O lineman. I think we should get our FS in FA and draft nothing but O & D lineman this year.

I cant say you're crazy. You can never have enough lineman so getting into the habit of drafting and developing them every year would be wise as its hard to keep them once they are FA. Aside that aspect, if you draft ~6 tackles in 2 years. Odds are one will be a hit.

It does sound a little crazy but what you posted is exactly why I am in favor of it. And it is not like we have very many other needs anyway.

What safety are you thinking? I saw someone throw out Poyer, but also think they are going to spend on a DT

I don't have 1 particularly in mind but the names I see that will be available are Bates, Poyer, Love, Rapp and Thornhill.

I think thornhill would be good and shouldn't break the bank, 1st 2 will cost an arm and a leg. Not a fan of Rapp, not too familiar with Love

edit: just looked at Love and he's only 24 and coming off his first year starting and out up a pretty good stat line for a middle of the pack passing defense. Could be an interesting option depending on his price tag (Spotrac says 7.9)

Love showed glimpses of intelligence and playmaking ability over the first three seasons of his career. An aggressive Giants defensive attack under Wink Martindale helped Love hone in on those flashes and become a more consistent player, without sacrificing any of his dynamic ability.

Martindale asks his defenders to do quite a bit in his blitz scheme. Love's versatility as an aware pass defender who's also a willing and able tackler (six TFLs) let Martindale use him as needed, as the Giants' defensive staff attempted to get their best players on the field
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Feb 24, 2023 at 1:15 PM ]

I think thornhill would be good and shouldn't break the bank, 1st 2 will cost an arm and a leg. Not a fan of Rapp, not too familiar with Love

You'll find Love one day!
Originally posted by Waterbear:

You'll find Love one day!

That's what I tell my wife

NCommand is just down in Florida. Don't let a wife get in the way.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

NCommand is just down in Florida. Don't let a wife get in the way.

🤣
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Ehhh not sure Brendel worth that
Originally posted by Youngone:

Feels like a confusing tweet or maybe I'm reading it wrong.. It mentions names for the mid to high end and then gives a $$$ range for only the high end.

I feel like I say that about everyone in every free agency lol

Originally posted by JaggedJ:

Feels like a confusing tweet or maybe I'm reading it wrong.. It mentions names for the mid to high end and then gives a $$$ range for only the high end.

Agree. What the fk is he saying? Is 8 to 11 the high end? Or 11?

Didn't know brendel was 30.

Not worth $8-11M but will likely get offers in the $6-7 range.

Ethan Pocic will be the rainmaker. If he gets what he is reported worth, $8M, after only one good year, Brendel will get paid as well.

There are 5 decent to good Centers that are UFA. There will be some early action.

If it's a question of paying Brendal $8M or McGovern $11M, I'd rather pay McGovern.
Originally posted by Butter:
If it's a question of paying Brendal $8M or McGovern $11M, I'd rather pay McGovern.

Exactly, if that extra 3mil puts us over the top you do it. Im not saying McGovern would be enough maybe if we added an edge as well say Yannick to go accross from Bosa and then we might have something.
Originally posted by Butter:

The tweet is somewhat misleading. It makes a statement about high to medium end of the center market and then brings up a projected range only for the high end. So for me, I read it as Mcgovern and Pocic are the high end ($8-11 million) and the rest will be paid under that amount. With Brendel being 2nd to last on that list, he'll probably end up getting $4-6 million.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Mar 13, 2023 at 3:16 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone