LISTEN: Kansas City Week With Carrington Harrison →

There are 275 users in the forums

C Jake Brendel Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Wolf_Packer_53:
Originally posted by thl408:
Locking down Brendl allows the team to draft and develop his replacement with little urgency. Take a stab at a couple day 3 prospects in this or/and next year's draft.
I think his replacement is already on the team.

It may be Zakelj
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by Alfienator:
Where does he rank for all centers?

16th last season according to PFF.

However, his play improved a lot after a slow start. He was probably close to the top 10 in the final 6-8 games

He has good quickness which showed in PP. His overall PP ratings were second only to TW.

He looked like he lacked strength in the run game. He couldn't move some of the better DTs. Perhaps with a good offseason in the gym he can pick up his run blocking.
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Originally posted by Wolf_Packer_53:
Originally posted by thl408:
Locking down Brendl allows the team to draft and develop his replacement with little urgency. Take a stab at a couple day 3 prospects in this or/and next year's draft.
I think his replacement is already on the team.

It may be Zakelj

I'm sure the benefits outweighed the alternatives.

He know the offense and did well in it.

At this point I'd rather see us get some secondary help w/both Mosley and Ward gone.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I'm sure the benefits outweighed the alternatives.

He know the offense and did well in it.

At this point I'd rather see us get some secondary help w/both Mosley and Ward gone.

We definitely need secondary help after these losses and an edge rusher.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I thought Brendal played really good last season, very happy to see him back. Continuity on the O-line is always good.
Seems like a reasonable deal as well. I like it.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I thought Brendal played really good last season, very happy to see him back. Continuity on the O-line is always good.

100% agree. I am happy that he came back and that the Niners will only have 1 new starter on the OL. I would be all for packaging picks to move up to the 2nd to get a solid RT if there is someone they really like.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by Alfienator:
Where does he rank for all centers?

16th last season according to PFF.

However, his play improved a lot after a slow start. He was probably close to the top 10 in the final 6-8 games

He has good quickness which showed in PP. His overall PP ratings were second only to TW.

He looked like he lacked strength in the run game. He couldn't move some of the better DTs. Perhaps with a good offseason in the gym he can pick up his run blocking.

Oh you mean top 10 when our FQB Dirty Purdy started 😏
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
I think this is a very solid move to bring back Brendel. Banks, Brendel and Burford got to play all 20 regular and post season games together, chemistry and continuity are so important on the o-line. The $$$ is very reasonable and it gives us a lot of flexibility come draft day too. More thoughts in the video below...

Brendel is the reason we can no longer run up the middle anymore, and good DTs gave this guy problems all last year. Was hoping for an upgrade. I'm pissed to say the least.
Originally posted by BigBug415:
Brendel is the reason we can no longer run up the middle anymore, and good DTs gave this guy problems all last year. Was hoping for an upgrade. I'm pissed to say the least.

No way he gets stronger and improves :/
Originally posted by tankle104:

No way he gets stronger and improves :/

Especially going against gravedigger in practice.

I think the free agent market for centers is pretty thin. Who would you have signed if Brendel was allowed to sign elsewhere?
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:

I think the free agent market for centers is pretty thin. Who would you have signed if Brendel was allowed to sign elsewhere?

The other options available were either much more expensive (McGovern, Pocic) or not enough better to risk breaking in someone new to the system.
Share 49ersWebzone