LISTEN: Kansas City Week With Carrington Harrison →

There are 299 users in the forums

C Jake Brendel Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DoseOfBosa:
when's Feliciano come back?
Really hope he slides into the starting center spot upon return
There is no way a player from the streets is as bad as Brendel. There should be someone in free agency that we can sign and perform better. That's how bad Brendel is. I knew he was the weakest link, but after watching people break down the game and showing his play, it was horrendous. He should not be on this team at all.
[ Edited by luis1985 on Sep 18, 2024 at 10:19 PM ]
Originally posted by Wolf_Packer_53:
Originally posted by DoseOfBosa:
when's Feliciano come back?
Really hope he slides into the starting center spot upon return
He's probably a shoe in for center, like how he came in for Beu at RG
Originally posted by ninerFate:
Does Foerster really have that much input on the OL, like Krocurek does on defense, or is he just following what Kyle wants? Either way it's such a flawed approach that has cost this team & fear it likely will again.

He has a TON of say in regards to OL. All our coaching staff has a big say in who's rostered here.

Forester is the offensive version of coach K. He's worked with Kyle in DC. He's a well respected OL coach BUT you heard him this off season, he doesn't believe in using high end picks on players that don't touch the ball (unless they're elite level prospects).

He thinks he can coach up the Jake Brendel's of the league….and while he kinda can (no one thought Brendel would be even this functional) imagine if he actually had a legit prospect and developed him? Puni says hi…We'd be set.

his philosophy (and Kyle's) needs to change there. There's no point in having elite playmakers all over the field, if that OL can't do its job.

Center and OT need to matter more.
Originally posted by luis1985:
There is no way a player from the streets is as bad as Brendel. There should be someone in free agency that we can sign and perform better. That's how bad Brendel is. I knew he was the weakest link, but after watching people break down the game and showing his play, it was horrendous. He should not be on this team at all.

He's legit the worst pass-blocking center in football and it's not even close.

I thought Conner Williams would have been a great fit. Played real well last yr under McDaniels. Got hurt so he's cheap. Currently the starting center in Seattle.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by luis1985:

He's legit the worst pass-blocking center in football and it's not even close.

I thought Conner Williams would have been a great fit. Played real well last yr under McDaniels. Got hurt so he's cheap. Currently the starting center in Seattle.

Sadly I think they give Jake all the way until Feliciano is activated. I'd honestly rather give Bartch or Zakelj a chance before then.

Jake got his extension and then packed it in. Either that or he's still hurt. He's hurting the team and needs to be benched.

We can't cut him with any savings until 2026.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Sep 19, 2024 at 5:29 AM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Sadly I think they give Jake all the way until Feliciano is activated. I'd honestly rather give Bartch or Zakelj a chance before then.

Jake got his extension and then packed it in. Either that or he's still hurt. He's hurting the team and needs to be benched.

I mean those guys stink as well. Neither guy should be on a starting roster. Same as Jake.

Brendel should have never gotten an extension, let alone no real competition. Not investing in a legit center prospect is mind blowing.

His cap hit isn't ridiculous so that's a bonus. 2025 his cap hit is basically backup like money. There's always the post June 1st cut option as well.
He has a TON of say in regards to OL. All our coaching staff has a big say in who's rostered here.

Forester is the offensive version of coach K. He's worked with Kyle in DC. He's a well respected OL coach BUT you heard him this off season, he doesn't believe in using high end picks on players that don't touch the ball (unless they're elite level prospects).

He thinks he can coach up the Jake Brendel's of the league….and while he kinda can (no one thought Brendel would be even this functional) imagine if he actually had a legit prospect and developed him? Puni says hi…We'd be set.

his philosophy (and Kyle's) needs to change there. There's no point in having elite playmakers all over the field, if that OL can't do its job.

Center and OT need to matter more.

Yeah he really can't. He's not McKittrick or Scarnecchia.
I mean those guys stink as well. Neither guy should be on a starting roster. Same as Jake.

Brendel should have never gotten an extension, let alone no real competition. Not investing in a legit center prospect is mind blowing.

His cap hit isn't ridiculous so that's a bonus. 2025 his cap hit is basically backup like money. There's always the post June 1st cut option as well.

I think it's interesting how little draft capital is spent on the position considering the center's importance in Kyle's scheme. He did take a big shot in 2018 with Weston Richburg (5 year, 47,500,000), who played 13 games for SF. It's been a glaring weakness. I was sooooo pissed when we passed on JPJ and Frazier for Ricky (even though I think Ricky will be good). Brendel is almost a carbon copy of Richburg, size and style-wise, but Brendel is a career backup until a few years ago. I think Kyle would just rather spend high picks on skill guys. I dunno, hopefully Drake Nugent will turn into a good one,
Originally posted by BP13:
I think it's interesting how little draft capital is spent on the position considering the center's importance in Kyle's scheme. He did take a big shot in 2018 with Weston Richburg (5 year, 47,500,000), who played 13 games for SF. It's been a glaring weakness. I was sooooo pissed when we passed on JPJ and Frazier for Ricky (even though I think Ricky will be good). Brendel is almost a carbon copy of Richburg, size and style-wise, but Brendel is a career backup until a few years ago. I think Kyle would just rather spend high picks on skill guys. I dunno, hopefully Drake Nugent will turn into a good one,

I really thought that Purdy's emergence would lead to a greater emphasis on center. You look around the league and the very best teams pretty much all have studs at center and its especially important in this offense. Kyle's best years offensively were with Alex Mack at center and you think he'd be pursuing someone that can be a plus player rather than random castaways like Garland and Brendel.

Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Yeah I mean money wise he's not costing a ton but the dude went from Pro Bowl alternate -- and that's why we extended him -- to now worst in the NFL by a massive margin.

The reason I wanted Zach Frazier so bad is because he did what Shanahan asks of his center -- calls the protections. Dude would've been perfect here and could've taken over for Brendel sooner rather than later IMO.

I know there's no point saying woulda coulda shoulda now though..

Just sucks, we'll probably just go with another veteran center with injury issues and hope they stay healthy (Feliciano maybe..)

Maybe Nugent can compete next year too.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I really thought that Purdy's emergence would lead to a greater emphasis on center. You look around the league and the very best teams pretty much all have studs at center and its especially important in this offense. Kyle's best years offensively were with Alex Mack at center and you think he'd be pursuing someone that can be a plus player rather than random castaways like Garland and Brendel.

Perhaps up to the present Kyle didn't want to risk trusting a rookie at C. I'm hoping that with Puni's emergence he'll be more open-minded to it, but until then and I'll be expecting the same methods & results. God we passed on so many OL oppurtunities there ie Humphry, Frazier, Wirfs etc.
[ Edited by ninerFate on Sep 19, 2024 at 12:46 PM ]
https://lastwordonsports.com/nfl/2024/09/18/panthers-could-trade-austin-corbett-to-chargers/
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I said it in the offseason, Baldy pointed this out. He said the top 5 o-line every year have the top 5 centers. That's how he grades and slots his o-lines. If you have an awesome center you're going to have a good line. Which I totally agree with.

What's very odd is when they brought in Mack, Trent was saying during an interview how center is the most important position. Especially in Kyle's offense because he calls all the protections etc.
We know two years ago they tried hard to move on from Brendel, but nothing panned out so they extended him 4 years.

Then they ignored an incredibly deep center draft.... so 🤷‍♂️

No qb in the world will be successful with a pocket that is destroyed from the center.

It's my main wtf with this regime, especially since we found Purdy.
Also- I don't think Brendel is 100% healthy. He's mediocre at best so if he bit full health he's kinda screwed.

they probably planned on getting felciiano there once oh I showed he can play, but he's hurt too lol
Share 49ersWebzone