There are 247 users in the forums

C Jake Brendel Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by KiwiM:
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by KegBert:
Good call. Foerester, cocaine usage aside, is a pretty well respected O-line coach and the fact that he pounded the table for the guy definitely carries some weight.
Definitely carries some weight I would say about a kilo

Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Brendel should be be ok handling the mental part being in this offense as long as he has it's the physical part I'm very worried about

It's possible we could see 3 Inexperienced Offensive linemen along the center of the line, Banks, Moore and Brendel. That's a little concerning to me, especially when you have another young, Inexperienced guy at QB. I'm hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Here's one for NC

if Bren didn't holdout in the Covid year, this could be Bren's second year starting

Haha. You think Kyle goes with Brendel after Richburg?

I mean the spin is incredible. I don't think I've ever seen a UDFA who was cut in 2020, who has only looked good in preseason be crowned king of all centers in one off-season.

The spin is pretty impressive but then again is Trent Williams in on it as well? He has been raving about him as well

hope the spin turns out to be true.. so does trey
Originally posted by cciowa:
Here's one for NC

if Bren didn't holdout in the Covid year, this could be Bren's second year starting

I mean the spin is incredible. I don't think I've ever seen a UDFA who was cut in 2020, who has only looked good in preseason be crowned king of all centers in one off-season.

The spin is pretty impressive but then again is Trent Williams in on it as well? He has been raving about him as well

We all do!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
Here's one for NC

We all do!

yes,, despite what some think.... people like you and i do not root for players to suck and if they suck we take no pleasure in being right about said sucky players..
All our hope in a dude who's barely played a meaningful snap, we are in big trouble friends.
….and Kurt Warner was bagging groceries.
Stranger things.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
All our hope in a dude who's barely played a meaningful snap, we are in big trouble friends.

be prepared to be called a troll now. lol
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
This guy puts the term journey into journeyman. UDFA in 2016, 29 years old already. How many years do you think he might even play.

Y'all acting like he's the next Dave Rimington lol.

Dallas Cowboys[edit]Brendel was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Dallas Cowboys after the 2016 NFL Draft on May 6.[10] On September 3, 2016, he was released by the Cowboys.[13] The next day, he was signed to the Cowboys' practice squad.[14] He was released from the practice squad with an injury settlement on September 29.[15]

Miami Dolphins[edit]On October 11, 2016, Brendel was signed to the Miami Dolphins' practice squad.[16] He was promoted to the active roster on November 19.[17] He appeared in one game.

In 2017, he appeared in all 16 games as a backup center.

On September 2, 2018, Brendel was placed on injured reserve with a calf injury.[18] He was activated off injured reserve on November 2.[19] He played in four games, starting three at left guard and center due to injuries. He was placed back on injured reserve with a calf injury on December 12, 2018.[20]

Denver Broncos[edit]On April 18, 2019, Brendel signed with the Denver Broncos.[21] He was released on August 31.[22]

Baltimore Ravens[edit]On November 27, 2019, Brendel was signed by the Baltimore Ravens, but was released three days later on November 30.[23]

San Francisco 49ers[edit]On February 7, 2020, Brendel was signed by the San Francisco 49ers.[24] On August 6, Brendel announced he would opt out of the 2020 season due to the COVID-19 pandemic.[25]

On August 31, 2021, Brendel was waived during final roster cuts.[26]

On March 9, 2022, Brendel re-signed with the 49ers.[27]

Brendel kind of reminds me of Jeff Stover. He never really played football until he went to the NFL. You just never know how any player turns out.

I've had a fantastic career with the 49ers. I give Bill Walsh all credit in the world. I came here not having played football and he gave me a chance.'
https://www.upi.com/Archives/1989/09/27/49ers-Jeff-Stover-retires/7541622872000/

Stover finished in 3rd place in the NCAA shotput competition in 1979. In 1980, while attending the University of Oregon, he was named Pac-10 champion shot-putter. With record-breaking statistics, Stover made it to the 1980 Olympic trials. However, as a result of the 1980 Summer Olympics boycott by the United States (held that year in Moscow), he never had the opportunity to compete.[1]
Stover had an extreme desire to play professional football, and earned a tryout with the San Francisco 49ers shortly after they won Super Bowl XVI. He was signed by the 49ers, but played sparingly during his first few seasons.
https://americanfootballdatabase.fandom.com/wiki/Jeff_Stover#:~:text=4%20Other%20sources-,History,to%20the%201980%20Olympic%20trials.
Garland + Person = cost us

Brunskill + Compton = cost us

Brendel + Brunskill = my guess is, it'll cost us

I'm hoping Moore or Spencer beats out Brunskill and is far more talented (gets better and better with higher ceilings). And I'm hoping at 30 years old, Brendel can play 20+ games and 1,300 snaps at a high level esp. from a pre snap protections perspective.

I'm hoping Moore or Spencer beats out Brunskill and is far more talented (gets better and better with higher ceilings). And I'm hoping at 30 years old, Brendel can play 20+ games and 1,300 snaps at a high level esp. from a pre snap protections perspective.

Your hope is too high. Brendel is a practice squad talent. Hell, he wouldn't even make the Seahawks roster.

If he looks even barely competent during pre season games I am betting he starts at center . I never cease to be amazed at some of our O line decisions. 😂

Can't disagree there. And it'll probably cost either at the worst possible time (Chris Jones verses our IOL) or Aaron Donald in the NFCCG.

We have the same hope. I hope the young guys are clearly ahead of the vets because we've seen what Brunskill can do at guard. Sure a great QB can pick up the slack and make an average O-line look better, but I'd rather not put that pressure on Trey Lance right out of the gate.

Also Jimmy G = cost us. We can point out to a lot of bad execution moments by a lot of players. OL as well.

Hopefully one of these young OL prospects can rise to the top.

I'll also point out....Garland and Compton weren't brought in to start. That was suppose to be McG and Richburg.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jun 16, 2022 at 8:10 AM ]

True what you say, NC. OTOH (she had warts), looking at Brendel + Poe + Banks + Jay Moore + Zekelj + Spencer + Brun (if left at RT)….one would have to say we are at least heading in the right direction. K I M (keep in mind) CBs and Ss…same scenario , yet we buffed DB up a lot between FA, UDFA, trade and draft. Our two really ugly slots were IOL (plus RT) and DBs. L EDGE wasn't so bad yet BPA , we managed to snake a really super player (completely untried in NFL of course), and yes, a Center there would have been appreciated. Imagine your thots however, if we had taken a middling , limp wristed Center at #61 who was based on NEED…and not talent. Once season started and we saw what a bust he was, we'd all be P.O .ed.

Once again we don't know what we have yet in Jay Moore (we have a pretty good idea) , Banks, Brendel, etc.Same goes with every one of our new guys regardless of how they landed here (FA, trade,etc). So while we all pontificate, we just flat out don't know what we have , whereas John and Kyle do. So a pass on Center with first pick (and don't believe JL and KS didn't know Mack was retiring..they did) at pick #61 may have not been that great a value, even tho F.O knew we needed a Center.

This has been a recurring theme since around 2000, and makes for lots of discontent…yours, mine, and everyone else's. We (fans) just don't know what JL and KS know, and obviously what happened was Drake was a helluva lot better talent wise/ (potentially team wise) than available Centers. Going into KS/JLs 6th yr, we once again will not find out exactly what we do and don't have …until about half way thru the season. And in some cases, probably longer.

Whereas i share your sentiment, really NC, there is just no way to know where we are at C, IOL, RT…altho we all have our own ideas.

Has kyle skimped on IOL over the yrs? Yup. And it has come back to bite him .. but altho it seemed strange at the time, now, after thinking about it, getting strong IOL, agile guys, but big in size, who can also power/man block, is starting to look like some very inspired talent acquisition. But yeah, I'm anxious to see how Center works out. No question new QB + new Center = lots of uncertainty and probably will require lots of Rolaids over the season. I'd love to see QB/C work like a Swiss watch, but….mmmmm….expect a bumpy ride at the outset.
Share 49ersWebzone