C Jake Brendel Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Garland + Person = cost us

Brunskill + Compton = cost us

Brendel + Brunskill = my guess is, it'll cost us

I'm hoping Moore or Spencer beats out Brunskill and is far more talented (gets better and better with higher ceilings). And I'm hoping at 30 years old, Brendel can play 20+ games and 1,300 snaps at a high level esp. from a pre snap protections perspective.

Personally I'd like to get bigger and more powerful at guard. I Definitely agree with Banks at Left Guard, and I'd like the right guard to be big and strong too. Keaton Sutherland and Zakelj seem to be big strong guys with good athleticism that can fit in the mould of a powerful man blocker and adequate zone blocker. One reason I like big guards is that if they can zone block adequately *and* also man block - that gives more options for Kyle's playcalling versus five man fronts. I can see Kyle crossing those fronts up with gap and trap blocking vs zone blocking - specially in the all important forth quarter when Kyle is leading and needs a first down.

As for the Center position - the smarter he is and the stronger he is, the better Kyle's OLine will perform. I think it has to be a given that all of Kyle's OLinemen are all athletically gifted with speed, agility, acceleration -- but it's the smarts and the power that I think will make a bigger difference at the center position in Kyle's system. Hopefully Brendel shows he's developed to elite levels in all aspects of being a Kyle Shanahan center.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I'm hoping Moore or Spencer beats out Brunskill and is far more talented (gets better and better with higher ceilings). And I'm hoping at 30 years old, Brendel can play 20+ games and 1,300 snaps at a high level esp. from a pre snap protections perspective.

Also Jimmy G = cost us. We can point out to a lot of bad execution moments by a lot of players. OL as well.

Hopefully one of these young OL prospects can rise to the top.

I'll also point out....Garland and Compton weren't brought in to start. That was suppose to be McG and Richburg.

Not sure why everything has to go back to Jimmy for you in every thread but to each his own.

As to the OL, that's the point. This system eats through OL and it eventually costs us. This time we're 'starting' with Brendel and Brunskill. Imagine if those two don't survive.

My hope is yours but if the past is a good predictor of the future, this isn't looking too hot. But we'll see! It could all work out just fine too with younger players.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 16, 2022 at 9:29 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

True what you say, NC. OTOH (she had warts), looking at Brendel + Poe + Banks + Jay Moore + Zekelj + Spencer + Brun (if left at RT)….one would have to say we are at least heading in the right direction. K I M (keep in mind) CBs and Ss…same scenario , yet we buffed DB up a lot between FA, UDFA, trade and draft. Our two really ugly slots were IOL (plus RT) and DBs. L EDGE wasn't so bad yet BPA , we managed to snake a really super player (completely untried in NFL of course), and yes, a Center there would have been appreciated. Imagine your thots however, if we had taken a middling , limp wristed Center at #61 who was based on NEED…and not talent. Once season started and we saw what a bust he was, we'd all be P.O .ed.

Once again we don't know what we have yet in Jay Moore (we have a pretty good idea) , Banks, Brendel, etc.Same goes with every one of our new guys regardless of how they landed here (FA, trade,etc). So while we all pontificate, we just flat out don't know what we have , whereas John and Kyle do. So a pass on Center with first pick (and don't believe JL and KS didn't know Mack was retiring..they did) at pick #61 may have not been that great a value, even tho F.O knew we needed a Center.

This has been a recurring theme since around 2000, and makes for lots of discontent…yours, mine, and everyone else's. We (fans) just don't know what JL and KS know, and obviously what happened was Drake was a helluva lot better talent wise/ (potentially team wise) than available Centers. Going into KS/JLs 6th yr, we once again will not find out exactly what we do and don't have …until about half way thru the season. And in some cases, probably longer.

Whereas i share your sentiment, really NC, there is just no way to know where we are at C, IOL, RT…altho we all have our own ideas.

Has kyle skimped on IOL over the yrs? Yup. And it has come back to bite him .. but altho it seemed strange at the time, now, after thinking about it, getting strong IOL, agile guys, but big in size, who can also power/man block, is starting to look like some very inspired talent acquisition. But yeah, I'm anxious to see how Center works out. No question new QB + new Center = lots of uncertainty and probably will require lots of Rolaids over the season. I'd love to see QB/C work like a Swiss watch, but….mmmmm….expect a bumpy ride at the outset.

Agree with what you said Doc, we just don't know what is going to happen with the new OLine players -- and I'll just add that we also don't know what to expect of Kyle's offensive coaching staff either. Kyle lost every one if his offensive coaches except for one this offseason. Oh boy!
Originally posted by Giedi:

True what you say, NC. OTOH (she had warts), looking at Brendel + Poe + Banks + Jay Moore + Zekelj + Spencer + Brun (if left at RT)….one would have to say we are at least heading in the right direction. K I M (keep in mind) CBs and Ss…same scenario , yet we buffed DB up a lot between FA, UDFA, trade and draft. Our two really ugly slots were IOL (plus RT) and DBs. L EDGE wasn't so bad yet BPA , we managed to snake a really super player (completely untried in NFL of course), and yes, a Center there would have been appreciated. Imagine your thots however, if we had taken a middling , limp wristed Center at #61 who was based on NEED…and not talent. Once season started and we saw what a bust he was, we'd all be P.O .ed.

Once again we don't know what we have yet in Jay Moore (we have a pretty good idea) , Banks, Brendel, etc.Same goes with every one of our new guys regardless of how they landed here (FA, trade,etc). So while we all pontificate, we just flat out don't know what we have , whereas John and Kyle do. So a pass on Center with first pick (and don't believe JL and KS didn't know Mack was retiring..they did) at pick #61 may have not been that great a value, even tho F.O knew we needed a Center.

This has been a recurring theme since around 2000, and makes for lots of discontent…yours, mine, and everyone else's. We (fans) just don't know what JL and KS know, and obviously what happened was Drake was a helluva lot better talent wise/ (potentially team wise) than available Centers. Going into KS/JLs 6th yr, we once again will not find out exactly what we do and don't have …until about half way thru the season. And in some cases, probably longer.

Whereas i share your sentiment, really NC, there is just no way to know where we are at C, IOL, RT…altho we all have our own ideas.

Has kyle skimped on IOL over the yrs? Yup. And it has come back to bite him .. but altho it seemed strange at the time, now, after thinking about it, getting strong IOL, agile guys, but big in size, who can also power/man block, is starting to look like some very inspired talent acquisition. But yeah, I'm anxious to see how Center works out. No question new QB + new Center = lots of uncertainty and probably will require lots of Rolaids over the season. I'd love to see QB/C work like a Swiss watch, but….mmmmm….expect a bumpy ride at the outset.

Agree with what you said Doc, we just don't know what is going to happen with the new OLine players -- and I'll just add that we also don't know what to expect of Kyle's offensive coaching staff either. Kyle lost every one if his offensive coaches except for one this offseason. Oh boy!

Underrated point!

Underrated point!
lol ..
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Underrated point!
lol ..

It could be better too. But it might be more of an unknown than the OL at this point. It could be far worse too. Mike McDaniel was a legit talent.

Underrated point!
lol ..

It could be better too. But it might be more of an unknown than the OL at this point. It could be far worse too. Mike McDaniel was a legit talent.
maybe we should have hired Mike Mcdaniel in 2017 since everyone wants to mimic Kyle Shanhans offense

Underrated point!
lol ..

maybe we should have hired Mike Mcdaniel in 2017 since everyone wants to mimic Kyle Shanhans offense

Haha. Going from a running game planner to HC is a pretty big jump. We'll have to see how he does in Miami.
Haha. Going from a running game planner to HC is a pretty big jump. We'll have to see how he does in Miami.

Even if he sucks he'll get to rake in the tanking money.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Jun 16, 2022 at 12:02 PM ]
The more I read about Brendel and study him, the better I feel about him and can kind of understand why the 49ers are so high on him and comfortable with him taking over as the starting center. The lack of starts (around 6 or 7) in 8 seasons as a pro still makes me ? If he is a legit, full-time starting center but he definitely is a good fit in this scheme and will get his shot to prove he is a starter in this league. Hey, Ben Garland was a career backup and ended up being a starter on our super bowl team, though he certainly was nothing special and only lasted as a starter for 2 or 3 seasons.

I think (hope) Brendel will prove to be a solid starting center for us this season, though I think he's only
keeping the spot warm for Dohonovan West who I think is the future as our starting center.

That's my hope. Jaylon Moore ends up taking over the starting RG spot over Brunskill and Brunskill becomes a valuable, versatile backup or even starting at center.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Well Chris Foerster (I haven't had a good OL since I coached the 2006 Ravens) said he was good.

The Redskins 2012 O-Line was pretty dam good.
We need a Jake from state farm type of coverage from him at the center position this coming season.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
Well Chris Foerster (I haven't had a good OL since I coached the 2006 Ravens) said he was good.

Okay I'll give him the 2012 O-line. It wasn't shabby.
bad pass protection
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:

Okay I'll give him the 2012 O-line. It wasn't shabby.
bad pass protection

True cc. Like always. Average to below average pass pro, very good run blocking. We haven't had good pass pro since the days of Garcia
Share 49ersWebzone