There are 245 users in the forums

C Jake Brendel Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Good luck, my son!

I hope his beyond elite athletic traits can transfer to the field. We know he has 2 guards beside him they may be average at best (at least Brunskill)

I just hope all the talk praising Brendel is a smokescreen so no other team feels the urgency to sign JC Tretter before we do bc of Jimmy still being on the team.

Nah, that ship has sailed. J.C. Tretter, is the kind of dude we'd bring in who's a walking wounded, who we'd pay $5M, never play a down and take up a roster spot from a young player.

It's Brendel or Sutherland (vet).

God help us.

You spelled Jason Poe wrong.
Originally posted by Waterbear:

Good luck, my son!

I hope his beyond elite athletic traits can transfer to the field. We know he has 2 guards beside him they may be average at best (at least Brunskill)

I just hope all the talk praising Brendel is a smokescreen so no other team feels the urgency to sign JC Tretter before we do bc of Jimmy still being on the team.

Nah, that ship has sailed. J.C. Tretter, is the kind of dude we'd bring in who's a walking wounded, who we'd pay $5M, never play a down and take up a roster spot from a young player.

God help us.

We gonna need Brendel to turn into Grendel and Kinlaw into Beowulf and just go around and murdering other teams. No big ask.
Boy this o line is scary and not in a good way.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:

All of the hoping and being optimistic and all of the rose colored glasses in the world will not mean a thing if this thing blows up in our face.. which is a distinct possibility.
Originally posted by cciowa:

All of the hoping and being optimistic and all of the rose colored glasses in the world will not mean a thing if this thing blows up in our face.. which is a distinct possibility.

I think it's a big concern as of right now, but I also think It has potential to be good too. It mostly depends on the draft picks from last year, Banks and Moore, as well as the health of MM at RT, even though, I'd like to see Brunskill replace him there.

Sure there are question marks but when has this OL not had question marks? We've had at least 1 new addition on the OL each year Kyle has been here. Guys coming off injuries or having injury concerns each year IIRC.

We went to the SB with Mike Person at RG and Ben Garland at C. Basically street type FAs.

Look at the Rams, they're not exactly packed with talent across the OL. They've got home grown guys and FAs who weren't big money guys.

Sure it's an uncertainty right now but it doesn't mean it will be a disaster either. Even if the guys we have don't turn into studs(which is a big ask of course) they just have to hold up enough in pass pro to ensure we're not having problems during key moments in the game. Make your mistakes early in the game or on early downs. Hold your blocks in key moments.

We'll see how our OL actually looks soon enough. I don't think people should be panicking at this point.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:
Sure there are question marks but when has this OL not had question marks? We've had at least 1 new addition on the OL each year Kyle has been here. Guys coming off injuries or having injury concerns each year IIRC.

We went to the SB with Mike Person at RG and Ben Garland at C. Basically street type FAs.

Look at the Rams, they're not exactly packed with talent across the OL. They've got home grown guys and FAs who weren't big money guys.

Sure it's an uncertainty right now but it doesn't mean it will be a disaster either. Even if the guys we have don't turn into studs(which is a big ask of course) they just have to hold up enough in pass pro to ensure we're not having problems during key moments in the game. Make your mistakes early in the game or on early downs. Hold your blocks in key moments.

We'll see how our OL actually looks soon enough. I don't think people should be panicking at this point.

but it is fine to show concern in my opinion. i hope trey and the new center will work super hard with each other when camp begins

but it is fine to show concern in my opinion. i hope trey and the new center will work super hard with each other when camp begins

I understand the concern, but we haven't really seen what we have this year yet. OL really hasn't been doing much since we've done mostly 7 on 7 drills.

I think one of the reasons they're going with Brendel is the fact that he was #2 C last year so he and Trey would've been working a lot.

Remember when Daniel Kilgore was a bit of an afterthought and playing very meh and Jimmy got here and suddenly Kilgore looked great and people were bummed when he left in FA?

It always blows up when we need it most (run blocking + unit pass protection). It's unlikely this is any different. It's just more of an unknown at this point.

I understand the concern, but we haven't really seen what we have this year yet. OL really hasn't been doing much since we've done mostly 7 on 7 drills.

I think one of the reasons they're going with Brendel is the fact that he was #2 C last year so he and Trey would've been working a lot.

Remember when Daniel Kilgore was a bit of an afterthought and playing very meh and Jimmy got here and suddenly Kilgore looked great and people were bummed when he left in FA?

Kilgore was absolutely awful in run blocking. I for one was happy we moved on.

And just an FYI. Brunskill played tackle vs the Packers and Carolina in 2019. In which both games we dominated the LOS. I think it's possible that he could improve with a position switch.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

And just an FYI. Brunskill played tackle vs the Packers and Carolina in 2019. In which both games we dominated the LOS. I think it's possible that he could improve with a position switch.

yeah.. i did not think he was very good at all

I really think we need more of a sample size but they dont' seem to make the switch. I feel he's staying at guard

That's what we are saying. Until we see it the whole unit is a question mark outside of TW. Yes we have had question marks on the online before but not at 4 positions at once. MM would solidify the RT but I'm not sure he's gonna be ready.

Good luck, my son!

God help us.

That's a weird way to spell Dohnovan West.
Share 49ersWebzone