There are 163 users in the forums

Jordan Mason-RB-Georgia Tech-UDFA

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This dude is such a natural zone runner. Mason had a carry yesterday on a wide zone run that would've made Alex Gibbs smile. He trusted his reads and pressed the line of scrimmage until the running lane opened and then set up his block to clear the LB and spring himself. It was f**king nice.
[ Edited by Heroism on Dec 5, 2022 at 10:32 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
This dude is such a natural zone runner. Mason had a carry yesterday on a wide zone run that would've made Alex Gibbs smile. He trusted his reads and pressed the line of scrimmage until the running lane opened and then set up his block to clear the LB and spring himself. It was f**king nice.

I think I know which run you're talking about. He really has been impressive. We are going to need to give him more opportunities to keep CMC fresh and healthy.
  • q0c0p
  • Veteran
Gotta use mason more. Dude is a stud
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by Heroism:

I think I know which run you're talking about. He really has been impressive. We are going to need to give him more opportunities to keep CMC fresh and healthy.
A productive 16 snaps a game with about 12 carry and 4 screens for Mason could be great for CMC to keep him fresh. If JM could punish some people on those snaps they are not gonna have energy for CMC by 4th QTR.
They'll probably start boxing JM when he is in, but if we can get a screen to him or Debo, I feel that we can get some good gains.
  • pdc20
  • Veteran
He´s awesome. He was really good in pre-season but it´s pre-season. But the last few weeks, he really showed how good he is. He should be the closer of the team. The guy that should carry the ball to end games.
Another great UDFA signed by this FO.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PA49ersfan:
Shanny seems really reluctant to play him more. And I have yet to see why. Maybe because how much we gave to acquire CMC?

Only thing I can think is they don't trust him catching passes or his PP is weak. CMC is such a huge check down weapon on passing plays, and it seems like Mason is in on almost exclusively running plays.
5.4 average so far, and 6.4 average for the Dolphins game. That's ridiculous. How's he doing that....lol
Originally posted by Disp:
Originally posted by PA49ersfan:
Shanny seems really reluctant to play him more. And I have yet to see why. Maybe because how much we gave to acquire CMC?

Only thing I can think is they don't trust him catching passes or his PP is weak. CMC is such a huge check down weapon on passing plays, and it seems like Mason is in on almost exclusively running plays.

This. And it's not only that CMC is so highly productive, it's that he's a guy that everyone has to account for. The 49ers can do anything and everything when he's in there. He goes out of the game and, to the defense, they don't have to worry as much.

But credit to Mason though. He's absolutely balling out in his role. I would argue that he's having so much success inside because we do have a great run scheme when everything's blocked well... and then he's a big enough back to make things happen when things AREN'T blocked well.
Watching Mason run reminds me a little of the late Marion Barber III. Violent runner who hits the hole hard yet has some wiggle to change direction pretty well for a larger back. Finishes runs well, too. Hope he keeps it up along with maintaining good ball security.
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Watching Mason run reminds me a little of the late Marion Barber III. Violent runner who hits the hole hard yet has some wiggle to change direction pretty well for a larger back. Finishes runs well, too. Hope he keeps it up along with maintaining good ball security.

Reminds me of Carlos Hyde a bit.

I can't find which page it's on, but I said the exact same thing a bit back. He really does. I would really like him to get more carries to keep CMC fresh, but I haven't seen Mason much in the pass game, which might be one reason where the team is trying to not tip its hand, and/or give our QB a better checkdown option.
Originally posted by All22:

I can see some of that, too. It would be great if Mason can keep it up, keep improving, and serve as something of a change of pace for defenses to deal with when CMC is not in...could be a good 1-2 punch going forward. Hoping TDP can work his way in at some point, too.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I can't find which page it's on, but I said the exact same thing a bit back. He really does. I would really like him to get more carries to keep CMC fresh, but I haven't seen Mason much in the pass game, which might be one reason where the team is trying to not tip its hand, and/or give our QB a better checkdown option.

Good post and agreed. Am really curious where Mason is right now in the passing game, how Shanahan views/trusts him there on being a contributor & not missing assignments, etc.
Originally posted by All22:

Jordan Mason is quite literally the opposite of Carlos Hyde. What makes Mason such a good player in this scheme is that he's a one-cut RB. He gets upfield in hurry, presses the line of scrimmage the entire way, and doesn't dance in the hole. Those things were quite literally Hyde's biggest weaknesses.
Watch the LBs on these plays. By pressing the line of scrimmage the entire way and not making the cut until he's on the heels of his OL, Mason forces the LBs to commit to a gap and allows his OL to seal them from the running lane. This is textbook wide zone running by Mason. Alex Gibbs would've flipped a f**king table over in joy if he were on this team. Mason is as natural of a zone runner as it gets.

[ Edited by Heroism on Dec 6, 2022 at 10:42 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone