There are 179 users in the forums

Jordan Mason-RB-Georgia Tech-UDFA

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9moon:
I'd still like to know why 32 ain't playing... how much PASS BLOCKING does he need to learn in order to run for 200 yards ??

Just enough to block someone. Not sure if he has learned that much yet though.

When your PA calls for the QB to sell the fake by not looking, your RB MUST absolutely MUST pick up his assignment. Go back to Frank Gore not selling the fake because the block was more important.
Originally posted by bmvanthiel:
Originally posted by Atrain:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
KS is going to burn CMC out - so frustrating - get Mason in there.

You can't stand CMC that much , 22 Touches is not going to burn him out he plays better the more touches he gets he put on the extra weight this year 202 to 210 for that purposes. Travis # 1 for the Jags has more touches coming into this game than CMC and and at the game their fans want to know why he's not getting the ball more this game.. Some of our fans want the 3 string back to get the ball beyond puzzling. The 49ers fans at the game wanted Shanny to give him the ball at the end andwas chanting for CMC.

22 touches is a lot. That's 374 over a season. He's only done that much once in his career. He already has had an injury this year too. There are a bunch of situations where CMC does not need to be used and are pointless touches. Keep that wear and tear off and lower the chance of a possible injury.

I know we're not fans of the Raiders but question for you should the Raiders have gave Josh Jacobs 29 Touches of which 27 were runs ? I don't think they would have won the game if not.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
I'd still like to know why 32 ain't playing... how much PASS BLOCKING does he need to learn in order to run for 200 yards ??

Just enough to block someone. Not sure if he has learned that much yet though.

When your PA calls for the QB to sell the fake by not looking, your RB MUST absolutely MUST pick up his assignment. Go back to Frank Gore not selling the fake because the block was more important.

IN short, we did a POOR job scouting this kid... how did we NOT know or even question his blocking IQ because we drafted him EARLY..

I'm not trying to compare him to any great backs, but c'mon... we've seen a very good RUNNER who was not all that of a blocker..

PLUS, do we really sit a talented RB because he can't block??
I feel like a broken record but I am so sick of seeing Mitchell getting touches over Mason.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
I feel like a broken record but I am so sick of seeing Mitchell getting touches over Mason.

he is better on pass downs
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

HONESTLY... I don't even know why 24 suddenly ain't playing.. did he not run well vs. the Browns??

I don't get it..
IN short, we did a POOR job scouting this kid... how did we NOT know or even question his blocking IQ because we drafted him EARLY..

I'm not trying to compare him to any great backs, but c'mon... we've seen a very good RUNNER who was not all that of a blocker..

PLUS, do we really sit a talented RB because he can't block??

Not sure a poor job. Certain things can not be scouted very well. Maybe LSU did a great job of disguising it, and he just struggles with the mindset of receiving the blow. As Pat McAfee put it for FG blocking, you WILL lose just do it slowly.

Who are you referring too? Lawrence Philips?

Yes. If he provides nothing else but a OK Runner, there is not a spot on the active list. Does he play an adequate special teams? Well he can't block so no on FG or punt team.
HONESTLY... I don't even know why 24 suddenly ain't playing.. did he not run well vs. the Browns??

I don't get it..

He f**ked up and got Purdy almost wrecked. Only Purdy's elusiveness kept him from being hit by a FREE rusher, that should not have been.

Imagine if the free rusher was able to Shawntae Spencer him.
To wrap this up the most important player on the field is the QB. I would think the NFC Championship game would be all the proof of it.

The QB must be exposed sometimes, but can not be exposed when they expect to be protected. Allowing free rushers where there should not be is dangerous( for injuries and turnovers).

You can't stand CMC that much , 22 Touches is not going to burn him out he plays better the more touches he gets he put on the extra weight this year 202 to 210 for that purposes. Travis # 1 for the Jags has more touches coming into this game than CMC and and at the game their fans want to know why he's not getting the ball more this game.. Some of our fans want the 3 string back to get the ball beyond puzzling. The 49ers fans at the game wanted Shanny to give him the ball at the end andwas chanting for CMC.

22 touches is a lot. That's 374 over a season. He's only done that much once in his career. He already has had an injury this year too. There are a bunch of situations where CMC does not need to be used and are pointless touches. Keep that wear and tear off and lower the chance of a possible injury.

I know we're not fans of the Raiders but question for you should the Raiders have gave Josh Jacobs 29 Touches of which 27 were runs ? I don't think they would have won the game if not.

I don't think that's a good comparison for a number of reasons.

1) We are Super Bowl contenders so we need to keep the big picture in mind with CMC. Raiders aren't making the playoffs.
2) A lot of CMCs touches aren't necessary. Like running the ball before half to kill the clock. Or giving him multiple touches when we are up quite a bit. We have had some dominate performances this year where he could've been rested more. Use him for the really important games that matter most for the playoffs. (Seattle, Philly, Dal, etc)
3) Jordan Mason has shown he is a very capable productive RB so far.

I don't think that's a good comparison for a number of reasons.

1) We are Super Bowl contenders so we need to keep the big picture in mind with CMC. Raiders aren't making the playoffs.
2) A lot of CMCs touches aren't necessary. Like running the ball before half to kill the clock. Or giving him multiple touches when we are up quite a bit. We have had some dominate performances this year where he could've been rested more. Use him for the really important games that matter most for the playoffs. (Seattle, Philly, Dal, etc)
3) Jordan Mason has shown he is a very capable productive RB so far.

I disagree 1)We need to take it 1 game at a time, some game we might need him to touch it 30 times and if that's what it takes to win you do it.But you didn't answer the question the Raiders would have lost that game if not giving the ball to Jacobs and the the Raiders are right in the race for the playoffs. 2) Jordan Mason might turn out to be a good football player but his best runs came when the other team done quit in the game like Dallas or like in CMC case he has faced the 2 most 8 man boxes in the league behind Derrick Henry.Nothing against Mason but when he's on the field he doesn't draw the attention like CMC which opens up for other players.So like you said we're competing for a Super Bowl then I'm not worried to get touches to my 3 rd string RB and I trust the coaches who have seen him from training camp til now that's he not ready and their going with what gives us the best chance at the Super Bowl.
The Raiders have a 5% of making the playoffs.
We have a 98% chance.

How Jacobs vs CMC being used is not relevant to the goals of what is needed.
22 touches may seem like a lot but there are backs that carry it more or just as much. There was a time before the NFL made passing easier when RBs carried the ball 30-40 times a game.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

He's not better at running out the clock, tho.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
He f**ked up and got Purdy almost wrecked. Only Purdy's elusiveness kept him from being hit by a FREE rusher, that should not have been.

Imagine if the free rusher was able to Shawntae Spencer him.

Somewhere in Hell Lawerence Phillips ears just popped up lol.
Share 49ersWebzone