There are 142 users in the forums

Jordan Mason-RB-Georgia Tech-UDFA

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Perhaps he misread the question as he was caught up in the moment of a great performance. Imo the coaches told him on Friday to be ready JUST IN CASE cmc couldn't go.

Blame the PR team for not prepping him for postgame interviews with the media.
Screw all of this. This shouldn't be an issue at all. He didn't break any league rules.

Gambling has ruined sports. And yes, this is what this was all about. Some important people lost a ton of money this week and it made its way up the chain.

This was that young man's time to shine and he got chewed out for a simple question or a misunderstanding. I hope it wasn't Kyle that got up Mason's behind for this. It's in very poor taste.

This, IDG a single f**k for gamblers. They should not be a consideration.

Gambling and fantasy football have made the pot of money A LOT bigger for the league (and players) though. It's an unfortunate reality that has to be catered to somewhat.
I think it's wrong if he got "chewed out." I hope Shanahan or Lynch simply said don't say that again and watch what you say in the future. That's all that's really needed. Can't get mad at a backup coming off the game of his life. He's also very young
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Well the emergence of Mason comes at a great time for the San Francisco 49ers. Christian McAffery appears to have an injury that could keep him out or limited for the foreseeable future. What seemed different about the offense with Mason at RB is that the team appeared much more physical than they were last season. Jordan Mason has earned more playing time even when CMC returns. The New York Jets have a tough defense, particular up front, and the 49ers were able to push them around a bit. Let's see if the 49ers can carry their momentum into the Minnesota game.

The Jets were keying on Mason so hard, that when Brock executed a fake toss to Mason, almost the whole Jets defense (except for one player) bit hard on that and were so faked out that (I think) Deebo had a one on one on the DB and if he would have broken that tackle, it was a TD. If I could have one wish, it would be for Brendel to be replaced by another Dominic Puni 2.0 at the center position - just to give Mason a straight north/south running lane that would just dominate defenses.
Mason was really impressive I thought. The Jets have a good Dline and between him running hard through contact, and our O line pushing them around, it was an impressive performance all around.
I knew it sucked that CMC was out but I had trust in Mason. A lot of us wanted him to get more snaps since last year.

Very happy for this young man. Hell of a game and can't wait for him to keep going and run over Minnie!
He is a beast. So much power! He's catching balls too!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:
I knew it sucked that CMC was out but I had trust in Mason. A lot of us wanted him to get more snaps since last year.

Very happy for this young man. Hell of a game and can't wait for him to keep going and run over Minnie!

I think one reason Mason wasn't used much last year was his hands. He's developed them well this past offseason for Brock's passing game. That and the articles saying that his conditioning and strength is much better than last year.

I'm pulling for Zakelj to beat out Brendel because I think Zakelj can hold up better in Center pass protection (Zakelj is bigger than Brendel) and I think stronger and just as quick. I think a Strong center can make Mason's north/south run game so much more effective. It will also make for a much sturdier pocket for Brock to pass out of.
Originally posted by Giedi:

I think one reason Mason wasn't used much last year was his hands. He's developed them well this past offseason for Brock's passing game. That and the articles saying that his conditioning and strength is much better than last year.

I'm pulling for Zakelj to beat out Brendel because I think Zakelj can hold up better in Center pass protection (Zakelj is bigger than Brendel) and I think stronger and just as quick. I think a Strong center can make Mason's north/south run game so much more effective. It will also make for a much sturdier pocket for Brock to pass out of.

I don't know. All pre-season, Zakelj was pushed backwards every snap. He can't anchor. I think Nugent might be a better candidate.

The blockers did great making holes and creating angles for Mason to use, and Mason did a great job seeing them. I can only imagine how an upgrade at Center would make that even better.
Originally posted by Giedi:

I think they may be grooming Drake Nugent for the center position. He played it well at Michigan. He's 295 so he probably needs to gain 15 lbs or so.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
I don't know. All pre-season, Zakelj was pushed backwards every snap. He can't anchor. I think Nugent might be a better candidate.

The blockers did great making holes and creating angles for Mason to use, and Mason did a great job seeing them. I can only imagine how an upgrade at Center would make that even better.

Wasn't Zakelj playing Guard more so than Center?

my fave ESPN projection after week 1:

JP Mason 476 carries 2499 rush yds

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/4360569/jordan-mason
  • 91til
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

haha
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Huge! We have a back up!
He did very well running the ball, but I think the online did well in run blocking as well.

Anyone paid attention to how Mason did in pass protection?
Share 49ersWebzone