There are 144 users in the forums

Jordan Mason-RB-Georgia Tech-UDFA

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by libertyforever:
He did very well running the ball, but I think the online did well in run blocking as well.

Anyone paid attention to how Mason did in pass protection?

I hope I'm remembering this correctly.... but he made one play where he started inside, but worked his way out in time to pick up a free rusher. It helped Brock get the pass off. It looked impressive to me that I commented on it, while everyone else was impressed with the throw lol.

I'm surprised Jonny didn't touch on that... but I guess it's hard to touch on everything lol.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by tankle104:
I knew it sucked that CMC was out but I had trust in Mason. A lot of us wanted him to get more snaps since last year.

Very happy for this young man. Hell of a game and can't wait for him to keep going and run over Minnie!

I think one reason Mason wasn't used much last year was his hands. He's developed them well this past offseason for Brock's passing game. That and the articles saying that his conditioning and strength is much better than last year.

I'm pulling for Zakelj to beat out Brendel because I think Zakelj can hold up better in Center pass protection (Zakelj is bigger than Brendel) and I think stronger and just as quick. I think a Strong center can make Mason's north/south run game so much more effective. It will also make for a much sturdier pocket for Brock to pass out of.

I don't know. All pre-season, Zakelj was pushed backwards every snap. He can't anchor. I think Nugent might be a better candidate.

The blockers did great making holes and creating angles for Mason to use, and Mason did a great job seeing them. I can only imagine how an upgrade at Center would make that even better.

Agree to a point. I did see Zackelj getting pushed back, but I think with more game experience he can learn and adjust to the NFL speed and power. I thought Kingston did better than Zakelj, but they decided to keep Zakelj vs Kingston.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by tankle104:
I knew it sucked that CMC was out but I had trust in Mason. A lot of us wanted him to get more snaps since last year.

Very happy for this young man. Hell of a game and can't wait for him to keep going and run over Minnie!

I think one reason Mason wasn't used much last year was his hands. He's developed them well this past offseason for Brock's passing game. That and the articles saying that his conditioning and strength is much better than last year.

I'm pulling for Zakelj to beat out Brendel because I think Zakelj can hold up better in Center pass protection (Zakelj is bigger than Brendel) and I think stronger and just as quick. I think a Strong center can make Mason's north/south run game so much more effective. It will also make for a much sturdier pocket for Brock to pass out of.

I think they may be grooming Drake Nugent for the center position. He played it well at Michigan. He's 295 so he probably needs to gain 15 lbs or so.

Yeah, he's a talented OLineman. A nicely built stocky firehydrant. I hope he develops just as well as Brendel and Banks did.
Will he last more than 6 games....? Not many RB in Kyle's offense last the whole season.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Will he last more than 6 games....? Not many RB in Kyle's offense last the whole season.
Mason is a big dude, so if he can be the one doing the hitting.. we should be ok
Time to get us a ring, Mason!

Draino finds all the holes 🕳.

LG

If Kyle lets the backups get some runs in.

So the answer will be no.
Jordan about to be the leading rusher in the nfl when cmc comes back
Let's go baby beast mode!
What do you think happens with him after this year? He's a restricted FA. I am guessing some team will outbid the Niners and they take the picks or CMC will (hopefully not) stay injured and they pay him to start....

Lynch & Company need to get Mason extended, 3yr deal, RB2 money, I'd need to see what that is, but he's well worth it.
Originally posted by ajsjohnson:
What do you think happens with him after this year? He's a restricted FA. I am guessing some team will outbid the Niners and they take the picks or CMC will (hopefully not) stay injured and they pay him to start....

He'll get the 2nd rd tender, he'll be a 49er in 2025, I think they extend him at some point, RB2 money is fair IMO, he's well worth it.
Originally posted by Snider8706:
Jordan about to be the leading rusher in the nfl when cmc comes back

He sure will be if we keep a well balanced offense.
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Originally posted by Hopper:

I would not have guessed he lead the league in this, but I did not watch every NFL game.

To me I was focused on the running lanes he had...I think most RBs with NFL levels of talent would have had a really good game.

Dude should be really consistent if he has the best ability in the NFL to force missed tackles, cause the line is good, and should get better as they gel over the season

CMC would have went bonkers with those holes.

MASON - will not last 6 games if Shanny does not use his back up.. where the Cardinal Kid at ??
Share 49ersWebzone