LISTEN: Do The 49ers Have Cause For Concern? →

There are 104 users in the forums

Christian McCaffrey, Elite RB

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Christian McCaffrey, Elite RB

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:
Originally posted by 49erF90:
Should Shanahan sit CMC next week to give him a really good rest to get ready for the playoffs? I know for sure Kyle will most probably use him to the max in the playoffs.

I say have him active but let Mason get a lot of carries. If we need CMC, then yes bring him in.

This is the way, but I and many others have been wondering for weeks why Jordan Mason doesn't get more carries. I haven't listened to all of the press conferences, but has the media asked why?

After the Seahawks game, Shanahan said ""It was just tough in this game with how much we like Christian in the pass game," Shanahan said. "Also, just the threat that he is on the field. But, no, his (Mason) time will come.""

The way I see it... CMC lets Shanahan do ANYTHING. The moment you take CMC out of the game, you limit the playbook to whatever Jordan Mason can run. I don't think we've really run a lot of passing plays with him in as a receiver or in pass protection. He probably hasn't developed that part of his game yet. Meanwhile, when Elijah Mitchell was healthy, he received a near-equal split of rushes to CMC. (Albeit with CMC starting out first. I think they were still figuring out their rotation before Mitchell got injured)

We SHOULD get Jordan Mason more carries. He's had very impressive production in 4 minute offense game situations where the opposing defense is trying to shut down the run, and he STILL has a 6.6 ypc.
This dude is a football demi-god.
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:
Originally posted by 49erF90:
Should Shanahan sit CMC next week to give him a really good rest to get ready for the playoffs? I know for sure Kyle will most probably use him to the max in the playoffs.

I say have him active but let Mason get a lot of carries. If we need CMC, then yes bring him in.

This is the way, but I and many others have been wondering for weeks why Jordan Mason doesn't get more carries. I haven't listened to all of the press conferences, but has the media asked why?

After the Seahawks game, Shanahan said ""It was just tough in this game with how much we like Christian in the pass game," Shanahan said. "Also, just the threat that he is on the field. But, no, his (Mason) time will come.""

The way I see it... CMC lets Shanahan do ANYTHING. The moment you take CMC out of the game, you limit the playbook to whatever Jordan Mason can run. I don't think we've really run a lot of passing plays with him in as a receiver or in pass protection. He probably hasn't developed that part of his game yet. Meanwhile, when Elijah Mitchell was healthy, he received a near-equal split of rushes to CMC. (Albeit with CMC starting out first. I think they were still figuring out their rotation before Mitchell got injured)

We SHOULD get Jordan Mason more carries. He's had very impressive production in 4 minute offense game situations where the opposing defense is trying to shut down the run, and he STILL has a 6.6 ypc.

I hope we are able to give CMC a break this last game but the issue is that Mason isn't as versatile. Losing Elijah all year was a huge blow.

i hope Elijah comes back for the playoffs and we can get a more balanced 1-2 attack
I wonder if CMC being here now for 8 + weeks is comfortable with the team now as how he is when he was with the Panthers.
  • pdc20
  • Veteran
Fantastic player. Every 49ers team that won the Superbowl had an all around star RB.
CMC is a hell of a player. This trade is a homerun.
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
I wonder if CMC being here now for 8 + weeks is comfortable with the team now as how he is when he was with the Panthers.

It seems like he has an overall grasp of the offense. There are probably some very fine details that would get ironed out once he gets training camp with Shanahan and the rest of the offense. I remember there was a play a couple games back that Jonnydel point out CMC did an additional stutter-step against a defender on his wheel route, which affected his timing with the QB, and the ball was overthrown (I assume that was corrected). Details like that, IMO, are probably still things that need to get worked on, but largely, it seems like he's fully integrated into the offense now.

It felt like last offseason, Shanahan got a sense that he knew the league was going to catch up with some of the details of his run scheme. So he planned to install Trey Lance as starter, feature him, Elijah Mitchell, and Deebo Samuel in an run option scheme where any of those guys could be running with the ball, and then go off Play Action. Unfortunately, Lance and Mitchell both got injured and we had to revert back to last year's offensive concepts, which did okay, but seemed to be lacking a spark.
Of course, CMC got here and he's proven to be what we needed.

The crazy thing is... it's been a work-in-progress integrating CMC into the offense. There's so much creative potential available with all the playmakers, but there's only so much you can install with each week. When we first traded for him, I had said that the narrative of this season was dependent on how well we could integrate CMC.

So far, it's been fantastic. My lament is that we lost Deebo for a few games, so those are less opportunities to see how defenses play Deebo/CMC, and less opportunities to try different things during the regular season. It'll be interesting what unfolds during the playoffs, and it'll be interesting to see where Shanahan wants to steer the offense next offseason.
Has anyone ever been All Pro while not being a pro bowler?
  • thl408
Originally posted by 1251alex:

2011. Navarro Bowman was 1st team All Pro, not a pro bowler.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by 1251alex:

2011. Navarro Bowman was 1st team All Pro, not a pro bowler.

wtf

My f**king god
Need to give Mason, TDP & Mitchell carries in this game
Originally posted by Jcool:

I hope this is B.S. and just an excuse to give him rest and others carries.
Don't over work this guy and give Mason some carries it's not like he sucks.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niner4ever:
Don't over work this guy and give Mason some carries it's not like he sucks.

Agreed.
Share 49ersWebzone