LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 161 users in the forums

Christian McCaffrey, Elite RB

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Christian McCaffrey, Elite RB

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:

Should have been in a boot or something weeks ago. CMC is his own worst enemy here. Dude is a workout machine and needs to rest that s**t.

Dumb

Many really competitive players try and play through injuries. It's not dumb. Things like tendonitis can clear up and come back so there's no real way to know when or if it's gone completely. If it was clearly a tear or a broken bone then t would be different.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

Should have been in a boot or something weeks ago. CMC is his own worst enemy here. Dude is a workout machine and needs to rest that s**t.

Dumb

Many really competitive players try and play through injuries. It's not dumb. Things like tendonitis can clear up and come back so there's no real way to know when or if it's gone completely. If it was clearly a tear or a broken bone then t would be different.

He's learning and it's a hard lesson. Going to have to play him a bit differently. Considering his effectiveness as a receiver (guy could probably just play increasingly more in the slot as he gets older), he can continue to play very well past 30 if they and CMC are smart with how he is used. Lots of vet days, take it easy in the offseason- maybe more yoga/flexibility and cardio stuff instead of the grueling stuff he puts himself through.
Our first game after the bye week (and our 9th game) is in eight weeks from now.

If that's what it takes for CMC to be ready, I'm good. But if it's December and he's still not ready then I'll be very worried…
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Dumb

He's learning and it's a hard lesson. Going to have to play him a bit differently. Considering his effectiveness as a receiver (guy could probably just play increasingly more in the slot as he gets older), he can continue to play very well past 30 if they and CMC are smart with how he is used. Lots of vet days, take it easy in the offseason- maybe more yoga/flexibility and cardio stuff instead of the grueling stuff he puts himself through.
Running back is probably the most punishing and undervalued position in football. These guys get hit on every play so chances are they always have ache or pain.
The Achilles in my opinion is always a tricky one. Athletes that have had calf and Achilles soreness have resulted in complete tears, the biggest for SF fans during the biggest games (Greenlaw, Durant).

im guessing he already has small tears and we're all hoping those tender fibers somehow heal. Maybe he needs PRP or steroid shots, as long as they fit under the league drug policy.

These are the two types of tendinitis with the ultimate being the full rupture

• Noninsertional Achilles tendonitis. Small tears in the middle fibers of your tendon start to break it down. This causes pain and swelling. This type of tendonitis usually affects active, younger adults.

• Insertional Achilles tendonitis. This damage occurs in the spot where your tendon meets your heel bone. Bone spurs (extra bone growth) often form with this type. This type of tendonitis can happen at any age, even in people who aren't active.

RuptureThe tears in your tendon fibers can cause a complete or partial break (or tear) in your tendon. You might hear a pop that seems to come from the back of your heel or calf. This may be a tendon rupture, which needs immediate medical attention.
If Purdy, KS and the 49ers are as good as most think they should be fine without CMC. Most teams don't even have a back like him anyways.

Also the 49ers always miss handle injuries it seems.
[ Edited by ninersrule4 on Sep 15, 2024 at 8:53 AM ]
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
If Purdy, KS and the 49ers are as good as most think they should be fine without CMC. Most teams don't even have a back like him anyways.

we KEEP on moving baby.. we keep on MOVING.. we have Thunder & Lighting .. screw CMC if. he's not here..

Dumb

Hopefully not a Todd Hurley type thing, tendinitis ended his career
At this point keep him out til post bye. I strongly feel we can be competitive and win without him in most of the games still. Will hurt to not have him for KC and Dallas but that's it.
Niners went to the SB before CMC cameover, just say'n
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
Hopefully not a Todd Hurley type thing, tendinitis ended his career

Was it that? I thought it was arthritis and no cartilage left in his knee from the bad acl injury.

Originally posted by ninersrule4:

Handled Purdy's just fine. People simply remember the outliers.

I don't even see where 49ers have done anything wrong here. They have been letting him rest for weeks, then brought him back for limited practice to test where it was at. That test revealed he needed more rest. They can only react to the information they have in the moment. No way for them to know if he was able to return or not without that limited practice to see how it reacted. Mishandling it would have been ignoring the results of that test and just putting CMC out there.
[ Edited by captveg on Sep 15, 2024 at 9:44 AM ]
  • Hopper
  • Veteran

Dumb

Agreed.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
At this point keep him out til post bye. I strongly feel we can be competitive and win without him in most of the games still. Will hurt to not have him for KC and Dallas but that's it.

Sucks but yeah agree. We can get to the playoffs without him. Probably wont have the #1 seed but if he's completely healthy for the playoffs, thats way more important to make a run at the SuperBowl again.
We still have Mason, Juice, Kittle, Deebo, Aiyuk, Cowing and perhaps Pearsall with Purdy orchestrating the whole thing so I'm sure that our allegedly offensive genius will find a way to keep this offense working at a high level.

I'm pretty sure that a guy like McVay or Reid would do it
Originally posted by Leathaface:

They should do whatever is necessary to nip this in the bud. If it's after the bye it's after the bye. Looking at the schedule, I think they can win most of the games from now until then even without Christian (as long as J.P. stays healthy), where we will need him is November through hopefully February.
Share 49ersWebzone