There are 165 users in the forums

SF 49ERS at Eagles Pregame Thread - 2022 Season Conference Final

Shop Find 49ers gear online
My final thoughts on this game. Like every other Niner fan I want to wiin this game in a big way. However I have some real concerns.

Number one is the line matchups. Both teams have good O lines and D lines but Philly's O line is exceptional. I think they're going to be able to nullify the Niners pass rush enough to give Hurts time to hit one of those fast receivers for a couple of big gains. Maybe long TDs. The Niners DBs have shown that they have a problem losing coverage on long passes. I'm also concerned about Hurts taking off and running sinc ethat's something that's been an issue with this team.

On the other side the Niners O line is good but other than Williams it's not as good as Philly's. The Eagles have a huge front line and I'm worried that they'll put so much pressure on Purdy that he won't have time to do much. He's may be running for his life much of the day. I also think they're capable of stuffing the run.

I give the Niners the coaching edge but the Eagles got 2 extra days to prep and rest. That could be a difference maker for 2 teams so evenly matched. The Niners had a tough time last week against the Cowboys at home. The Eagles are a similar team but better at every position other than RB. Plus they hav ethe home team advantage.

I think it comes down to who can play the cleanest game. (fewest penalties and turnovers) Big news flash right. That's usually the case but even more so when 2 teams are this evenly matched. All things considered I have to pick the Eagles. I'm not into predicting scores but I say they win by 7 points or more.

Sorry but I'm just not getting good vibes on this game. The Niners had a nice run winning 12 straight and Purdy has played far better than any of us would have predicted. I just think it comes to an end this week.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
When are they taking off for Philly?
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. Let me give you all some good news then: Yesterday I found out that I'll be scheduled to work on the Super Bowl. That means that we'll 100% be playing in it and I'm going to have to miss it.

😂
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
My final thoughts on this game. Like every other Niner fan I want to wiin this game in a big way. However I have some real concerns.

Number one is the line matchups. Both teams have good O lines and D lines but Philly's O line is exceptional. I think they're going to be able to nullify the Niners pass rush enough to give Hurts time to hit one of those fast receivers for a couple of big gains. Maybe long TDs. The Niners DBs have shown that they have a problem losing coverage on long passes. I'm also concerned about Hurts taking off and running sinc ethat's something that's been an issue with this team.

On the other side the Niners O line is good but other than Williams it's not as good as Philly's. The Eagles have a huge front line and I'm worried that they'll put so much pressure on Purdy that he won't have time to do much. He's may be running for his life much of the day. I also think they're capable of stuffing the run.

I give the Niners the coaching edge but the Eagles got 2 extra days to prep and rest. That could be a difference maker for 2 teams so evenly matched. The Niners had a tough time last week against the Cowboys at home. The Eagles are a similar team but better at every position other than RB. Plus they hav ethe home team advantage.

I think it comes down to who can play the cleanest game. (fewest penalties and turnovers) Big news flash right. That's usually the case but even more so when 2 teams are this evenly matched. All things considered I have to pick the Eagles. I'm not into predicting scores but I say they win by 7 points or more.

Sorry but I'm just not getting good vibes on this game. The Niners had a nice run winning 12 straight and Purdy has played far better than any of us would have predicted. I just think it comes to an end this week.

Exactly how I feel. Glad you took the time to write it. But anything is possible.
Originally posted by PA49ersfan:

Exactly how I feel. Glad you took the time to write it. But anything is possible.

Sorry you guys feel this way. I have good vibes about our chances and think we will come out on top. We'll see on Sunday, enjoy everyone
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Youngbuck17:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Agree 💯%, if Oscar's analysis is correct, it makes me feel a ton better going into the game. I watched last years Eagle/49er game and I didn't see a '85 Bears type level of pressures or sacks. So my gut says Oscar is on the money.

Eagles D this years is incomparable to last years. Feel free to watch last year's tape as much as you want. It's not a comp.

I've also watched JD's analysis and also watched the NY Giants/eagles game. Last year's Eagles/49ers game isn't the only Eagles game i watched.
Originally posted by 9erguy:
Sorry you guys feel this way. I have good vibes about our chances and think we will come out on top. We'll see on Sunday, enjoy everyone

I'm a pessimist through and through. So I 100% hope your optimism is correct. Put me in my damn place.
Originally posted by mayo49:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL2540
Originally posted by Youngbuck17:
Agree 💯%, if Oscar's analysis is correct, it makes me feel a ton better going into the game. I watched last years Eagle/49er game and I didn't see a '85 Bears type level of pressures or sacks. So my gut says Oscar is on the money.

Eagles D this years is incomparable to last years. Feel free to watch last year's tape as much as you want. It's not a comp.

I've also watched JD's analysis and also watched the NY Giants/eagles game. Last year's Eagles/49ers game isn't the only Eagles game i watched.

Watch that week 5 ARI vs PHI game.
Originally posted by 9erguy:
Originally posted by PA49ersfan:

Let me say one more thing. Win or lose I don't think it's going to be because of Purdy. He may be forced into a couple of mistakes if the O line can't protect him but he's shown he's capable during the last 7 games.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RiceOwensStokes:
Originally posted by mayo49:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL2540

5 hour flight, thanks.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by Oscar8325:
I've waited all week, longest week of my life. So here it is, 9ers win! 31-23. The number analysts keep saying is 70 as in 70 sacks. When you look at closer you will see that 46 came in 6 games and only 24 in 11. Those 6 games were against bad teams with horrible OL's and no running games to neutralize them. So as I have said before, they are good but not as good as the numbers show. Watched a couple of their games and their OL and DL are pretty physical but they aren't ready for what's coming. They haven't faced a team like ours that will not only match but exceed the physicality.

That's exactly how I feel. It reminds me of when cam Newton won mvp, I thought that was an absolute joke. If you look at his stats that year 75% of his touchdowns came in four games. Which means the rest of the season he averaged 1-1 TD/int ratio. He was good but not mvp worthy, that defense was incredible.
it's why I bet the broncos would win, because I knew Newton stood no chance against an elite defense.

im not saying the eagles aren't a good team, they most definitely are, but I think a lot of people are going to be surprised at how well we do against them. Purdy is going to have four touchdowns (3pass and 1 rush)

I'm bumping this post so others don't miss Oscars sack breakdowns. That's important to understand for this matchup.

I posted this in the stats thread, it should also be attached to this exchange:
PHI got sacks in bunches versus some meh QBs.

Carson Wentz 9 sacks (in one game)
Kenny Pickett 6 sacks
Ryan Tannyhill 6 sacks
DJones/Tyrod Taylor 7 sacks combined
Justin Fields 6 sacks
Dak Prescott 6 sacks
Saints 7 sacks (Dalton 6/Taysom 1)

The dak Prescott one is impressive because they have a talented offensive line (even if some if their guys are playing out of position)
Originally posted by RiceOwensStokes:

it doesn't start getting heated until around the 13/ 14 minute mark

So while they brought up Montana and Walsh, the hosts were arguing that like that, Hurts and Sirianni are ahead of the curve with regards to what they think is the future of QB play in the league (i.e. - a mobile QB being a necessity but who can also throw well, vs a Montana - who wasn't a statue - utilizing the WCO). In no way were they saying that Hurts is equal to Montana or Sirianni to Walsh. The SF hosts even tried to put words in their mouth saying I can't believe "that Sirianni is better than Walsh." Immediately the Philly host pipes up and said, "I didn't say he was better than Walsh," and then goes on to explain himself yet again. Either the SF hosts are too dense to understand or they are purposely trying to fire things up for radio. I tend to think the latter for the same reason you even mentioned this on this board. People like to get fired up about the other side, even if it takes hyperbole.

I'll also say that Joe DeCamara, the one Philly host, is an idiot. Always has been. I actively skip his show because his takes are terrible. Says things just to get a reaction, as perviously mentioned.

Thank you for posting the clip!
Final hot take for me before the game (not that anyone asked for it):

Niners win if they can grind out the run game effectively for long drives that result in a TD and keep Purdy below 20 pass attempts.

Eagles win if they can take a decent lead and force the Niners offense away from their game plan and make Purdy try to win the game for them. That's no disrespect to Purdy, but it's literally been how the Eagles have won pretty much all of their games. Our pass D is no joke and our secondary gets picks.

No matter what, I've appreciated your perspectives! Best of luck if you guys win! I'll be rooting for you if that happens. (Unless your players take cheap shots at Hurts, then ef you all )
https://youtu.be/vL2yCl020Rc
warners study ball for this game
Share 49ersWebzone