There are 182 users in the forums

Jake Moody-K-Michigan 3rd Round 2023 Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I mean in the grand scheme it was either a depth guy or a guy who is going to improve our defensive field position and keep our field goals rolling. Moody the Booty Magnet, if he checks out, will be an excellent pick.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Rich Eisen's reaction to the pick is great.

He loves, Michigan and kickers.
Personally, I was hoping Blake Freeland was the pick here or at the Latu pick. I'm good with Moody though. Probably really deserved to be picked in the 4th or maybe even the 5th but we didn't have a 4th and who knows if trading back was an option. Hoping he drops to our 5th would have been risky so I get why Lynch and Shanny picked him in the 3rd. Hopefully he turns into a stud for us for the next 20 years. Then it will be well worth the price.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
I think it's a fair pick, I doubt he's a 3rd rounder if we had a 4th round pick, though we felt enough about losing him to use our second 3rd rather than the last one.

I think it's unfair when talking about the success of undrafted vs drafted kickers as there are far more undrafted ones to skew the numbers. The fact that Tucker went undrafted is on the league and it's bad scouting of the position. If you think he's the guy he's more than worth the pick and making 63 yard FG's in college helps you to stand out, only missed a 57 yarder and even that was close.

Good luck young man, we need you.

Good post!
At least he will be more valuable than the PLETHORA of 3rd round failures
Sermon
Witherspoon
Ambry Thomas

That's all I can say. I guess we felt like he would've been taken before our fifth round pick so we had to use a third round pick. I just don't know why we couldn't of traded up from the fifth round to the fourth round to get this guy. I know the Rams may have probably taken him but we could've gotten an offensive tackle or a defensive end instead.
Can he kick it into the end zone?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by elguapo:
Sermon
Witherspoon
Ambry Thomas

That's all I can say. I guess we felt like he would've been taken before our fifth round pick so we had to use a third round pick. I just don't know why we couldn't of traded up from the fifth round to the fourth round to get this guy. I know the Rams may have probably taken him but we could've gotten an offensive tackle or a defensive end instead.

He would have been gone, guapo. We had to take him at #99.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Sermon
Witherspoon
Ambry Thomas

That's right Private Mayo. Now drop and give me 99
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Sermon
Witherspoon
Ambry Thomas

99? Your going soft on me.
I guess this regime puts a premium on kickers/punters. I hate the thought of picking one in the third round but if Moody turns out to be the kicker for years to come then I guess it's a good pick. I think we'd all be good with the pick if it was a 5th rounder so maybe a round sooner isn't as bad as it looks.

I get people want us to find a kicker with a 7th rounder or UDFA, but a kicker is extremely important piece of success on a team.

right now we have an unreliable one, so our team went after the one they like most. I'm more than good with it, id rather us attack and get who we want instead of waiting around hoping for the best.

even if it doesn't work out, so be it. We did our homework and did what we believe we had to and got the guy we thought was the best fit. We used essentially a fourth rounder, big deal.
Sermon
Witherspoon
Ambry Thomas

You know I would never do that especially with the gift of tingle that you have. I thought he was drafted 99 I meant to say drop and give me 101 I hope you got some sleep because today is going to be a fun day
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Sermon
Witherspoon
Ambry Thomas

You know I would never do that especially with the gift of tingle that you have. I thought he was drafted 99 I meant to say drop and give me 101 I hope you got some sleep because today is going to be a fun day

I'm depressed, my Warriors lost. Now, they're going to have to take care of business up in Sacramento. Ok, I got it. 99, for being drafted at #99.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Apr 29, 2023 at 5:14 AM ]
Sermon
Witherspoon
Ambry Thomas

Lame. Already signed a kicker. We could have traded up with some of our 6 jillion picks. Now, we get a guy whose under the microscope from day one. That usually turns out well. And we didn't address a higher priority position of need. Like edge starting rt dl depth or starting rg Probly could have signed gould in july if push came to shove. Earliest kicker pick since 2016. Not creative problem solving right here.

He'll probably turn out ok. But every miss will be a 5 star media event. Hope hes mentally tough.
Sermon
Witherspoon
Ambry Thomas

The Bears and Cowboys (especially the Cowboys) need a kicker as well.

The Lions could potentially use a new kicker too.

Hoping Moody making it passed the 4th round is a massive risk if you've targeted him as a player you want.
Share 49ersWebzone