There are 183 users in the forums

Jake Moody-K-Michigan 3rd Round 2023 Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The first kicker drafted in the 3rd round since 2016 - Roberto Aguayo.

No pressure, kid.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by elguapo:
At least he will be more valuable than the PLETHORA of 3rd round failures
Sermon
Witherspoon
Ambry Thomas

That's all I can say. I guess we felt like he would've been taken before our fifth round pick so we had to use a third round pick. I just don't know why we couldn't of traded up from the fifth round to the fourth round to get this guy. I know the Rams may have probably taken him but we could've gotten an offensive tackle or a defensive end instead.

He would have been gone, guapo. We had to take him at #99.

Lame. Already signed a kicker. We could have traded up with some of our 6 jillion picks. Now, we get a guy whose under the microscope from day one. That usually turns out well. And we didn't address a higher priority position of need. Like edge starting rt dl depth or starting rg Probly could have signed gould in july if push came to shove. Earliest kicker pick since 2016. Not creative problem solving right here.

He'll probably turn out ok. But every miss will be a 5 star media event. Hope hes mentally tough.

Anyone, coming in, FA, draft pick, is going to be under the microscope. Especially, having to follow the standard that Robby established here the past 6 years. Yeah, and we already signed a kicker. But, he can't stay healthy. He got hurt practicing. f**k a FA or late round draft pick. Take care of business, even if you might get heat for taking one a little soon. Fix the problem and then move on to the next priority.
Anyone, coming in, FA, draft pick, is going to be under the microscope. Especially, having to follow the standard that Robby established here the past 6 years. Yeah, and we already signed a kicker. But, he can't stay healthy. He got hurt practicing. f**k a FA or late round draft pick. Take care of business, even if you might get heat for taking one a little soon. Fix the problem and then move on to the next priority.

You mean he got hurt practicing for us?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Lol, yeah.
Originally posted by NCommand:

No pressure, kid.

However in theory this is a high FOURTH round pick. The 3rd round ended and he was picked with a supplemental pick. Mitch Wiznowsky ws picked in roud 4 but at pick 108. This was pick 99, big whoop.

The Niners drafted one person who will start and two who will get significant playing time, not bad.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erred:

No pressure, kid.

However in theory this is a high FOURTH round pick. The 3rd round ended and he was picked with a supplemental pick. Mitch Wiznowsky ws picked in roud 4 but at pick 108. This was pick 99, big whoop.

The Niners drafted one person who will start and two who will get significant playing time, not bad.

Exactly, 9erred.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Oh, oh - I get it now. The keyboard GMs were told by their draft overlords that a 3rd round kicker is bad, but 4th round is acceptable. The Niners should have just trade back, hmm let me count, four spots to officially make it a 4th. And then - good pick!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by okdkid:
Oh, oh - I get it now. The keyboard GMs were told by their draft overlords that a 3rd round kicker is bad, but 4th round is acceptable. The Niners should have just trade back, hmm let me count, four spots to officially make it a 4th. And then - good pick!

Lol, it's true - all our 3rds were comp picks. They come after the last pick of the round. So, maybe their floating in between rounds. Maybe, they're in round 3.5 or round -4.5?
[ Edited by mayo49 on Apr 29, 2023 at 6:48 AM ]

YES, a 3rd round kicker IS BAD..... REALLY BAD! On a SB contending team, you put your faith in a rookie kicker and use major draft capital on him?? NO NO NO. You SIGN a free-agent proven kicker and move on.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by raywm3:

YES, a 3rd round kicker IS BAD..... REALLY BAD! On a SB contending team, you put your faith in a rookie kicker and use major draft capital on him?? NO NO NO. You SIGN a free-agent proven kicker and move on.

Or, give the kicker you had, a raise and keep him.

This is no different than drafting Wish. He's been good enough but nothing worth his draft position. We could sign a million punters off the street to do the same. Here we are again

Lol, yeah.

Didnt hear about that. Understandably. Could we have settled for the number 2 or 3 guy and picked ol competition here? And with our next pick? Instead of project tight end? Unless we have something up our sleeve the answer seems obvious.
That 59 yarder was impressive. I had him in just about every mock I did but it was definitely a surprise at that spot but that's okay. He's gonna be with us for a long time.
Originally posted by 9erred:

No pressure, kid.

Exactly. They panicked as always. They learned nothing from the Mitch Wishnowsky and Jake Bailey lesson.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Lol, yeah.

Didnt hear about that. Understandably. Could we have settled for the number 2 or 3 guy and picked ol competition here? And with our next pick? Instead of project tight end? Unless we have something up our sleeve the answer seems obvious.

I guess, your talking about our need for help at edge, OL and DL? We need depth, not starters there. I think we still have high hopes for a Jackson/Bosa tag team on the edge. I'd give that another year. I think definitely, we need an upgrade at RT from the guys we have, minus McGlinchey. At, corner, we've hit on a lot of late round cb's. Just keep on doing that. Six more picks, let's target some players. Stay put or trade up, figure it out.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Apr 29, 2023 at 7:06 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone