There are 258 users in the forums

Jake Moody-K-Michigan 3rd Round 2023 Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
My phone gets ESPN alerts and you can only read part of the line on the screen. It said NFL kicker released after three missed.... (that's all it said that I could read)..

Had to drop my work and run to ESPN. Whew...not Moody. The Rams..
[ Edited by 9erson3 on Oct 24, 2023 at 5:04 PM ]
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Here are some great kickers (and some recent Niner kickers) and how they did in their first 14 field goal attempts in the NFL:

Justin Tucker: 13 for 14 (greatest kicker of all time....dont debate me)
Morton Andersen: 8 for 14
Adam Vinatieri: 9 for 14
Stephen Gostkowski: 10 for 14
Gary Anderson: 10 for 14
Jason Hanson: 10 for 14
Jason Elam: 11 for 14
Sebastian Janikowski: 7 for 14
David Akers: 9 for 14
Joe Nedney: 9 for 14
Robbie Gould: 10 for 14

Jake Moody: 11 for 14

Have some perspective, people.

it's not the misses, it's the fact he seemingly had the yips in preseason, he'll miss in bunches, Maher the king of this
so when he missed a gw field goal, and followed it up with a similar miss in a dome, I was wondering if, here we go again

It's not the misses? No, I am pretty sure it IS the misses that has people freaking out for no reason. Silly reply sir.
Here are some great kickers (and some recent Niner kickers) and how they did in their first 14 field goal attempts in the NFL:

it's not the misses, it's the fact he seemingly had the yips in preseason, he'll miss in bunches, Maher the king of this
so when he missed a gw field goal, and followed it up with a similar miss in a dome, I was wondering if, here we go again

It's not the misses? No, I am pretty sure it IS the misses that has people freaking out for no reason. Silly reply sir.

Lol this
Originally posted by 9erson3:
My phone gets ESPN alerts and you can only read part of the line on the screen. It said NFL kicker released after three missed.... (that's all it said that I could read)..

Had to drop my work and run to ESPN. Whew...not Moody. The Rams..

Yeah, Maher, not surprised at all. Disaster sauce. Moods might have held on by that long fg in the Vikes game but still meh about the guy.
We should sign Maher to really push him.
It's not so much the misses or the percentage or historical comarisons.

It's WHEN he misses. Like the END of the game when you need a game winner.

Or his annoying tendency to miss 40, 41 yarders. While nailing 55 - 61 yarders in both College and Pros. Seemingly he can hit the long bomb kicks. But can't hit the gimmies or end of game winners. That's where the problem is.

Looking at the missed game winner at Cleveland the Browns had a player come from the right untouched. That may have played a factor in him missing that kick:

Anyway, if he is taking his craft seriously, and is ever-striving to improve, that's all we can ask for. And hopefully he does pan out to our kicker for the next 10 years. If not, oh well, back to the drawing board.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Or his annoying tendency to miss 40, 41 yarders. While nailing 55 - 61 yarders in both College and Pros. Seemingly he can hit the long bomb kicks. But can't hit the gimmies or end of game winners. That's where the problem is.

He's played in 7 career games as a pro and has missed 1 game winning field goal. he's hit from all over the field. His stats past 40 yards are nearly identical to every other kicker.

For further comparison he is hitting 79% of his field goals
Robbie Gould hit 78% his rookie year

He missed the game winner against the Browns. It sucks I get it. But all kickers miss. The 49ers set him up for failure by drafting him in round 3 but his kicking has gone about as expected for a rookie kicker.

People seem to forget Mark Moseley he won NFL MVP as a kicker

To me it's not a question if he's going to be good or not, I believe he will get there, I just don't think it was smart to rely on a young kicker with the roster we currently have.

If this team was rebuilding, I think it would have been perfect. Similar to the argument people make about Trey., the timing doesn't make sense.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

To me it's the mental toughness, every kicker misses. You need to be around 83%+ to be 'safe' more or less. But some kickers get the yips. Maher did, in postseason and again last week. He misses one, and he can't flush it, he dwells on it, you can see it in his face. He looks all tight. Then he starts missing again, and again, and again.

Moody did a lil of this in the preseason. Missed one, then a comically bad miss, and it looked a bit like he was "feeling the heat". Of preseason. Not good.

Then missed the gw field goal. He sometimes looks tight. Brett Maher face. He'll have to kick that habit, no pun intended
To me it's the mental toughness, every kicker misses. You need to be around 83%+ to be 'safe' more or less. But some kickers get the yips. Maher did, in postseason and again last week. He misses one, and he can't flush it, he dwells on it, you can see it in his face. He looks all tight. Then he starts missing again, and again, and again.

Moody did a lil of this in the preseason. Missed one, then a comically bad miss, and it looked a bit like he was "feeling the heat". Of preseason. Not good.

Then missed the gw field goal. He sometimes looks tight. Brett Maher face. He'll have to kick that habit, no pun intended

Kick the habit? Lolol.
  • JMC52
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
We should sign Maher to really push him.

Push him to miss more?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Not worried about Moody like most in here, more worried about Wilks and his defense.
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:

Lol this

I agree with the point I believe he was trying to make though. It's like my golf game I'm crushing my drives and then all of a sudden I shank one no big deal it's a mulligan. Then I do it again and again. Then the rest of the game I'm fine. We'll those 3 shanks cost me the round. It is however the shanks that get it my head and now I'm worthless with my driver for a critical part of the game.
[ Edited by bassmanr on Oct 28, 2023 at 11:19 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone