There are 189 users in the forums

Jake Moody-K-Michigan 3rd Round 2023 Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I mean as has been pointed out, that was 99. Wish was 110 (per PFR, since we've seen 108 here). I'd think a kicker is more important than a punter.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Anyone, coming in, FA, draft pick, is going to be under the microscope. Especially, having to follow the standard that Robby established here the past 6 years. Yeah, and we already signed a kicker. But, he can't stay healthy. He got hurt practicing. f**k a FA or late round draft pick. Take care of business, even if you might get heat for taking one a little soon. Fix the problem and then move on to the next priority.

You mean he got hurt practicing for us?

Lol, yeah.

Didnt hear about that. Understandably. Could we have settled for the number 2 or 3 guy and picked ol competition here? And with our next pick? Instead of project tight end? Unless we have something up our sleeve the answer seems obvious.

I guess, your talking about our need for depth at edge, OL and DL? We need depth, not starters there. I think we still have high hopes for a Jackson/Bosa tag team on the edge. I think definitely, we need an upgrade at RT from the guys we have, minus McGlinchey. At, corner, we've hit on a lot of late round cb's. Just keep on doing that. Six more picks, let's target some players. Stay put or trade up, figure it out. This only happens, once a year.

We need depth not starters? Our starting rg is burford. Our starting rt has zero starts in nfl? Our starting left end quit playing week 9. How can you say that?

We need competition at those spots.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Apr 29, 2023 at 7:08 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Anyone, coming in, FA, draft pick, is going to be under the microscope. Especially, having to follow the standard that Robby established here the past 6 years. Yeah, and we already signed a kicker. But, he can't stay healthy. He got hurt practicing. f**k a FA or late round draft pick. Take care of business, even if you might get heat for taking one a little soon. Fix the problem and then move on to the next priority.

You mean he got hurt practicing for us?

Lol, yeah.

Didnt hear about that. Understandably. Could we have settled for the number 2 or 3 guy and picked ol competition here? And with our next pick? Instead of project tight end? Unless we have something up our sleeve the answer seems obvious.

I guess, your talking about our need for depth at edge, OL and DL? We need depth, not starters there. I think we still have high hopes for a Jackson/Bosa tag team on the edge. I think definitely, we need an upgrade at RT from the guys we have, minus McGlinchey. At, corner, we've hit on a lot of late round cb's. Just keep on doing that. Six more picks, let's target some players. Stay put or trade up, figure it out. This only happens, once a year.

We need depyh not starters? Oir starting rg is burford. Our starting rt has zero starts in nfl? Our starting left end quit playing week 9. How can you say that?

We need lots of competition at those spots.

I'm talking at edge, we need to give Jackson another year to see if that situation improves itself. As far as everything else, I agree - we need help and upgrades. We got six more selections. Like I said, let's target some players and see what happens.
Originally posted by raywm3:
Originally posted by okdkid:
Oh, oh - I get it now. The keyboard GMs were told by their draft overlords that a 3rd round kicker is bad, but 4th round is acceptable. The Niners should have just trade back, hmm let me count, four spots to officially make it a 4th. And then - good pick!

YES, a 3rd round kicker IS BAD..... REALLY BAD! On a SB contending team, you put your faith in a rookie kicker and use major draft capital on him?? NO NO NO. You SIGN a free-agent proven kicker and move on.

Yeah because top tier proven kickers just float around available at this time? Gould isn't signed because he's old as hell and wants too much on a team that's trying to save as much as they can. Get f**king real
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Oh, oh - I get it now. The keyboard GMs were told by their draft overlords that a 3rd round kicker is bad, but 4th round is acceptable. The Niners should have just trade back, hmm let me count, four spots to officially make it a 4th. And then - good pick!

YES, a 3rd round kicker IS BAD..... REALLY BAD! On a SB contending team, you put your faith in a rookie kicker and use major draft capital on him?? NO NO NO. You SIGN a free-agent proven kicker and move on.

Yeah because top tier proven kickers just float around available at this time? Gould isn't signed because he's old as hell and wants too much on a team that's trying to save as much as they can. Get f**king real

We can sign a vet kicker, our old kicker. But, I guess he's too old and asking for too much money. Even, though he's still one of the best, kicking the ball, through the goal posts.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Apr 29, 2023 at 7:14 AM ]
This is no different than drafting Wish. He's been good enough but nothing worth his draft position. We could sign a million punters off the street to do the same. Here we are again

Not really.

Punter is one thing as basically you just need a strong leg. And sure, hang time, directional ability and some of those things separate the guys in the league from the guys on the street. So really, as far as that goes you probably couldn't sign a million punters off the street to do the same thing.

But place kickers in particular are, imo, a different breed still. The ones on the street are on the street because they're not very good. Or at least not very reliable.

Remember when we brought a kicker in off the street in 2019 for a few in Chase McLauglin and he missed that kick against Seattle in a game we ultimately lost?

He's recovered okayish since then. Had pretty solid productivity on a bad Colts team last year and turned it into a free agent contract with Tampa Bay. But kickers are so weird that it doesn't take much for them to become unreliable. Let's just hope Moody isn't weird.

We can sign a vet kicker, our old kicker. But, I guess he's too old and asking for too much money. Even, though he's still one of the best, kicking the ball, through the goal posts.

Not when he wants 5 mil to start off on a team that's strapped. Add the fact he can't even kick the damn ball near the end zone in kickoffs, might as well replace him now when this draft had a top tier kicker, it's a risk but it was time.

Were you dropped as a baby? You should really watch football more and form an informed opinion. PLENTY of veteran, above average kickers are available every year. I can't believe I have to explain it to you.

Not when he wants 5 mil to start off on a team that's strapped. Add the fact he can't even kick the damn ball near the end zone in kickoffs, might as well replace him now when this draft had a top tier kicker, it's a risk but it was time.

Who really gives a s**t if he can't kick into the endzone on kickoffs? Again, I'll explain to you how football works. If our kicker is absolutely MONEY on every field goal he lines up for and even in the biggest moments, give me THAT guy and I'll take my chances on the stupid kickoffs

Were you dropped as a baby? You should really watch football more and form an informed opinion. PLENTY of veteran, above average kickers are available every year. I can't believe I have to explain it to you.

Maybe before insulting people you should consider that there is a difference between a "top tier proven kicker" as he said and a veteran "above average" kicker as you said. And the thing about those kickers being available every year is that teams even looking to or needing to find a kicker aren't necessarily gobbling them up for various reasons. Whether it's age, coming off a bad year, inconsistency, etc. Right now, Gould, Zuerlein, and Mason Crosby are available but not getting any younger. The other "name" kickers either are unreliable from long range or go all Brett Maher who's also available. Then there's the guys that just bounce around from roster to roster, as actually McLaughlin has for much of his career.

Sometimes they certainly work out but there are just so many variables that effect a kicker's consistency and reliability. I don't know what will happen to Moody. 3rd round is certainly high for a kicker. But we needed one and it isn't like he was kicking for some irrelevant team. I may strongly dislike Michigan as an Ohio State fan but they have been a playoff team the last two years so he's been in some pressure situations and big games before.

Agree it was early but they had no choice when they don't pick again for over 50 picks. Had to get him when they did if they really wanted him as I don't think he would have made it to our next pick.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Yeah, I guess i"m being a little sarcastic. I thought it was time to move on, and get younger. Was it the money that killed the relationship, with Robby? I'd have given him a raise and maybe, 3 yrs/$12M?
[ Edited by mayo49 on Apr 29, 2023 at 7:40 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Who really gives a s**t if he can't kick into the endzone on kickoffs? Again, I'll explain to you how football works. If our kicker is absolutely MONEY on every field goal he lines up for and even in the biggest moments, give me THAT guy and I'll take my chances on the stupid kickoffs

Lol, preach, baby.
Accurate and strong leg, dude kicked nearly from the 50 yard line

Wasn't going to last by the time we picked next in the 5th round
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OhioNiner:

Maybe before insulting people you should consider that there is a difference between a "top tier proven kicker" as he said and a veteran "above average" kicker as you said. And the thing about those kickers being available every year is that teams even looking to or needing to find a kicker aren't necessarily gobbling them up for various reasons. Whether it's age, coming off a bad year, inconsistency, etc. Right now, Gould, Zuerlein, and Mason Crosby are available but not getting any younger. The other "name" kickers either are unreliable from long range or go all Brett Maher who's also available. Then there's the guys that just bounce around from roster to roster, as actually McLaughlin has for much of his career.

Sometimes they certainly work out but there are just so many variables that effect a kicker's consistency and reliability. I don't know what will happen to Moody. 3rd round is certainly high for a kicker. But we needed one and it isn't like he was kicking for some irrelevant team. I may strongly dislike Michigan as an Ohio State fan but they have been a playoff team the last two years so he's been in some pressure situations and big games before.

Were you dropped as a baby? Man, that's not funny nor comical at all.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Apr 29, 2023 at 7:52 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone