There are 294 users in the forums

Jake Moody-K-Michigan 3rd Round 2023 Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pillageDatazz:
Accurate and strong leg, dude kicked nearly from the 50 yard line

Wasn't going to last by the time we picked next in the 5th round

Yep, not concerned at all, that it was at #99. And, what's this 3rd round, s**t.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Apr 29, 2023 at 7:51 AM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:

Yep, not concerned at all, that it was at #99. And, what's this 3rd round, s**t.

doode, our 3rds were basically 4th rounders.... this was a great pick
Several games are won or lost in the closing seconds every week. Look how often Gould won or tied games for this team. They needed a replacement and they took the best one on the board. It's not like they passed up some position player that was going to make a difference. I know there are hidden gems but I'd rather have a guy you know is going to contribute each week than a guy that might not even make the team.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Apr 29, 2023 at 8:13 AM ]
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Several games are won or lost in the closing seconds every week. Look how often Gould won or tied games for this team. They needed a replacement and they took the best one on the board. It's not like they passed up some position player that was going to make a difference. I know there are hidden gems but I'd rather have a guy you know is going to contribute each week than a guy that might not even make the team.

This. Why risk going for a Hufanga, Warner, Kittle or Mitchell when you can just take a kicker.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:

doode, our 3rds were basically 4th rounders.... this was a great pick

Yeah, I know. I'm I coming acrossed as if it was bad? I've been constant to the whiners, that the comps are essentially, 4th round picks.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Apr 29, 2023 at 8:21 AM ]
  • irief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OhioNiner:
Not really.

Punter is one thing as basically you just need a strong leg. And sure, hang time, directional ability and some of those things separate the guys in the league from the guys on the street. So really, as far as that goes you probably couldn't sign a million punters off the street to do the same thing.

But place kickers in particular are, imo, a different breed still. The ones on the street are on the street because they're not very good. Or at least not very reliable.

Remember when we brought a kicker in off the street in 2019 for a few in Chase McLauglin and he missed that kick against Seattle in a game we ultimately lost?

He's recovered okayish since then. Had pretty solid productivity on a bad Colts team last year and turned it into a free agent contract with Tampa Bay. But kickers are so weird that it doesn't take much for them to become unreliable. Let's just hope Moody isn't weird.

I don't love the pick but I can live with it. I agree that it's not the same as drafting a weak legged 30 year old punter in the 4th. Kicker is far more impactful. Robbie's weak leg was a becoming a liability on kickoffs.
I see it more as a high 4th rd pick than a 3rd. Kid better be lights out from day one to say it's worth it.
I can't see going that high for a kicker. They fall into too many peaks and valleys. As I said before the only kicker I see going overboard on was the Great Ray Guy.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

Yup, he definitely will make the team. I like the pick. Gould was ancient and getting older and weaker. It was time to replace him. I agree that this wasn't really a 3rd round pick but more of a 4th rounder. Hope he can play consistently like Make-a-wish.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I can't see going that high for a kicker. They fall into too many peaks and valleys. As I said before the only kicker I see going overboard on was the Great Ray Guy.

Same thing for Qbs, but, you got no choice but, to keep on swinging.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Apr 29, 2023 at 8:24 AM ]
Originally posted by RishikeshA:

Same thing for Qbs, but, you got no choice but, to keep swinging.

Most starting QBs aren't UDFAs. With kicker you most definitely have a choice

Ugh. What a dumb pick. And we already traded for a kicker.
[ Edited by MBNINER90266 on Apr 29, 2023 at 8:34 AM ]
Such a dumb pick.
Originally posted by MBNINER90266:
Ugh. What a dumb pick. And we already traded for a kicker.

A conditional pick that we won't have to give anything for now.
I think this is a great pick.
The 49ers current style really leans on having a great clutch kicker to get points in close games. The salary crunch has eliminated the 49ers from going out and getting a elite K. Drafting a elite K and having him on a cheap contract is a huge win for the 49ers. I think Moody has that Tucker/McPherson clutch factor that the elite K and should be a 49ers for a long time.
He's all ours for 5 years if we want him that long,...right?
Share 49ersWebzone