There are 343 users in the forums

Jake Moody-K-Michigan 3rd Round 2023 Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
Originally posted by NC49er:
Yeah, a better idea would have been to pick a kicker with a weaker leg and who was more inconsistent.

This is a false dichotomy fallacy. You don't even have to pick a kicker in the draft. They already spent some capital on a kicker this offseason, a 7th swap, which is well indicative of a kickers value in the NFL.

Harrison Butker - the kicker of the champs - was a seventh round pick who got cut and then picked up by the Chiefs. We'll be lucky if Moody is as good as him.

An upside for a third round kicker is an udfa or late draft kicker.
An upside for a positional player is Fred Warner.

Butker, is the outlier, dynasty. Those things don't usually happen all the time. So, in between those times, got to keep on chopping the tree.

This is nonsense. Robbie Gould was undrafted. Justin Tucker was undrafted. Last two kickers we went to the superbowl with were...wait for it... UNDRAFTED

There is also no indication that he has the strongest leg or anything of the sort within this very class.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Per the link below he was 7-8 between 40 and 49, and 3 for 7 beyond 50 (in 2022).

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/jake-moody-player-stats?category=kicking&seasonType=reg

That totals the 66.6, which means that scouting report didn't differentiate between 40-49 and 50+. Gould's career is 77% from 40 to 49. Moody's was 87.5% from that range (in 2022).

When it says 40+ it simply means 40 plus. Not sure why you thought it differentiated between under 50 and over 50. That would be 50+
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by raywm3:
This is no different than drafting Wish. He's been good enough but nothing worth his draft position. We could sign a million punters off the street to do the same. Here we are again

He's been more valuable. He could have been drafted higher and it would still have been worth it. Take your bias out of it. He is a difference maker and instantly made our defense better.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NC49er:
Yeah, a better idea would have been to pick a kicker with a weaker leg and who was more inconsistent.

This is a false dichotomy fallacy. You don't even have to pick a kicker in the draft. They already spent some capital on a kicker this offseason, a 7th swap, which is well indicative of a kickers value in the NFL.

Harrison Butker - the kicker of the champs - was a seventh round pick who got cut and then picked up by the Chiefs. We'll be lucky if Moody is as good as him.

An upside for a third round kicker is an udfa or late draft kicker.
An upside for a positional player is Fred Warner.

Butker, is the outlier, dynasty. Those things don't usually happen all the time. So, in between those times, got to keep on chopping the tree.

This is nonsense. Robbie Gould was undrafted. Justin Tucker was undrafted. Last two kickers we went to the superbowl with were...wait for it... UNDRAFTED

There is also no indication that he has the strongest leg or anything of the sort within this very class.

Yeah, I know - it happens with every position. Great LBers, WRs, TEs, OL, DL, CB, S, RB, who were low draft picks or were never drafted.
Pick 112 justifies why we picked Moody where we did!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Pick 112 justifies why we picked Moody where we did!

Yeah, that's data you can take to court.

😂
Yeah, I know - it happens with every position. Great LBers, WRs, TEs, OL, DL, CB, S, RB, who were low draft picks or were never drafted.

No other position has as many guys succeed in last five rounds/udfa as in the first four rounds. Please stop this madness.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

😂

Lol. 😆
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

No other position has as many guys succeed in last five rounds/udfa as in the first four rounds. Please stop this madness.

You mean the kickers.

Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Per the link below he was 7-8 between 40 and 49, and 3 for 7 beyond 50 (in 2022).

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/jake-moody-player-stats?category=kicking&seasonType=reg

That totals the 66.6, which means that scouting report didn't differentiate between 40-49 and 50+. Gould's career is 77% from 40 to 49. Moody's was 87.5% from that range (in 2022).

Also keep in mind that Harbaugh was his head coach and had him attempt at least two kicks from beyond 60 yards which throws off the numbers a bit.
You mean the kickers.

Yes,I mean the kickers. Kickers have the highest replaceability rate in the league for a reason. You hit on a kicker and it's like cool its just like a guy we could've had in fa for one and a half more million. You miss on a kicker and now you cut a third round pick and lack the potential upside of a Fred Warner or whoever else you could've had. And historically - like I've said - there is no indication a kicker chosen in third will be better than a guy chosen in the seventh or undrafted.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Also keep in mind that Harbaugh was his head coach and had him attempt at least two kicks from beyond 60 yards which throws off the numbers a bit.

You mean the kickers.

Yes,I mean the kickers. Kickers have the highest replaceability rate in the league for a reason. You hit on a kicker and it's like cool its just like a guy we could've had in fa for one and a half more million. You miss on a kicker and now you cut a third round pick and lack the potential upside of a Fred Warner or whoever else you could've had. And historically - like I've said - there is no indication a kicker chosen in third will be better than a guy chosen in the seventh or undrafted.

The whole process is a crap shoot. You draft the guys you like, and do it for every round. Every round has busts, every round has hits. The end.

They needed a kicker, they got a kicker they like.

So again, I say. pick ONE PLAYER who was available at that spot who you think would have been a better choice and at the end of the season we can see who ended up making a bigger contribution to their respective team. If you're not willing to do that then maybe you should stop complaining. If Moody ends up being a solid kicker for the next ten years, or even the next five, he will have been well worth the pick.
Share 49ersWebzone