LISTEN: Kansas City Week With Carrington Harrison →

There are 207 users in the forums

Jake Moody-K-Michigan 3rd Round 2023 Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 5thSFG:
I thinks it's completely fair to say if a team drafts a kicker as high as moody was drafted the kicker should be more reliable than moody has been.

if you disagree we simply don't see eye to eye and that's fine. Ignoring the potential narrative that his missed PAT cost us the game is simply naive. Sure, KC may have gone for it on fourth and won. Maybe they would have been stopped and lost.

making PATs should be considered automatic. You would legitimately have to be in a weird mental space to defend it.

Totally fair. But he was overdrafted and has shown he wasn't worth the pick long before this game.
Pretty good on long kicks. The missed extra point was a little costly. But he had good kickoffs and deep FG's.
If he had made the XP, the Chiefs would have had 2 more plays at the end of regulation to score the must have winning TD from inside the 10 since it would have been 20-16
Originally posted by pd24:
I thinks it's completely fair to say if a team drafts a kicker as high as moody was drafted the kicker should be more reliable than moody has been.

if you disagree we simply don't see eye to eye and that's fine. Ignoring the potential narrative that his missed PAT cost us the game is simply naive. Sure, KC may have gone for it on fourth and won. Maybe they would have been stopped and lost.

making PATs should be considered automatic. You would legitimately have to be in a weird mental space to defend it.

It was blocked. Probably would have made it

I'm not an nfl kicker but I have it on good authority that kickers know to kick it higher on shorter kicks to keep them from being blocked by interior defensive linemen with zero line penetration. The block is on Moody.
Originally posted by mattster03:
If he had made the XP, the Chiefs would have had 2 more plays at the end of regulation to score the must have winning TD from inside the 10 since it would have been 20-16

Or we would have won. Is your argument that a missed PAT actually helped us? unless your argument is that we should have missed on purpose (or gone for two and failed), then you agree that a missed PAT hurt us. There is no in between and there's not need to debate this.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Totally fair. But he was overdrafted and has shown he wasn't worth the pick long before this game.

crazy that letting Gould walk hurt us as much as it did. A few of niner-fan friends predicted this
Im personally proud of him for hitting three huge FGs from deep and from the right hash. The PAT was a bad angle, but he will learn from it and i think he will be clutch in years to come. Can you imagine hitting some of those 50+ers... dude is going to be a stud.
Im personally proud of him for hitting three huge FGs from deep and from the right hash. The PAT was a bad angle, but he will learn from it and i think he will be clutch in years to come. Can you imagine hitting some of those 50+ers... dude is going to be a stud.

good to know he will be reliable when we suck
Nice job by the rookie

He was good. No complaints

Originally posted by _Goldblooded_:

I mean he's already reliable... proved that today. Just need another step in situational awareness. Never missed a PAT all year, now he knows that it's possible if he chooses the wrong angle.... sucks he had to learn that in the SB, but he was the only reason we were even in the game.
[ Edited by mattster03 on Feb 11, 2024 at 9:42 PM ]
I trust him going forward, he's still going to make dumbass mistakes but he showed he can make kicks with the biggest game on the line.

Which would have changed everything. What are we talking about here?

Would have changed nothing because the 49ers defense showed zero ability to stop the Chiefs late. They played it safe for the FG late, had they needed a touchdown, considering that they were ten yards away, I don't see the defense stopping them either.

Going by the list of things that really hurt this team, the missed PAT was somewhere well below the fumble, the muffed punt, the three and out after the interception, the inability to convert third and five and potentially run out the clock late and the missed block that prevented a touchdown in OT.

I mean he's already reliable... proved that today. Just need another step in situational awareness. Never missed a PAT all year, now he knows that it's possible if he chooses the wrong angle.... sucks he had to learn that in the SB, but he was the only reason we were even in the game.

Never missed a PAT all year - except for the one in the Rams game....
Share 49ersWebzone