There are 233 users in the forums

Jake Moody-K-Michigan 3rd Round 2023 Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by raywm3:
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by captveg:
The whole process is a crap shoot. You draft the guys you like, and do it for every round. Every round has busts, every round has hits. The end.

They needed a kicker, they got a kicker they like.

They feel like they've got 4 years of cap savings with an extremely accurate guy like Gold. Of course,...feel being the key word.

How much will about a 100th overall kicker count against the cap over 4 years instead of a $6M a year guy when accuracy is what you want for those 4 years?

And does it allow you to perhaps sign or extend another player that you maybe otherwise couldn't?

This is the rationale above all else behind the pick, IMO.

Sounds very Buckner/Kinlaw like

Gould is 40. He isn't gonna be around forever, and his price is only going up.

It was time to make this move. We'll see how the kid turns out.
Just kick the ball into the end zone and get touch backs. Gould's leg was too weak and old
[ Edited by Ensatsu on Apr 29, 2023 at 10:44 AM ]
If there is an interesting topic at all in this thread,....it's the comparison of these 2 guys. Perhaps someone in the know can further expand on where the Bucs went wrong on Aguayo and why Moody is more of a sure bet at about 7yrs later and 40 spots lower.

Aguayo made like 89% of his 78 kicks @ FSU,...yet was pretty abysmal in the NFL.
[ Edited by random49er on Apr 29, 2023 at 10:59 AM ]
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Not mad. We had to replace a legend in Robbie Gould. Can't have some scrub. Having a kicker with a howitzer for leg would be a welcome change.

Good point. I got attached to Gould, so very clutch and bummed a bit to see him go. It was nice to have tons of confidence in a player like that. But yeah, I mean, can't have a Maher situation lol. That was a hot mess.
[ Edited by Montana on Apr 29, 2023 at 10:51 AM ]
Seeing how the Patriots chose a kicker validates the Moody pick.
If there is an interesting topic at all in this thread,....it's the comparison of these 2 guys. Perhaps someone in the know can further expand on where the Bucs went wrong on Aguayo and why Moody is more of a sure bet at about 7yrs and 40 spots lower.

Aguayo made like 89% of his 78 kicks @ FSU,...yet was pretty abysmal in the NFL.

Aguayo got broken mentally. Thats why choosing a kicker is such a crapshoot. You never know who will fall apart upstairs and once that happens, it's over.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TreyDeyEeyDey:
17 pages for a kicker lol.

Kickers are the s**t. Just, ask Eisen.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
If there is an interesting topic at all in this thread,....it's the comparison of these 2 guys. Perhaps someone in the know can further expand on where the Bucs went wrong on Aguayo and why Moody is more of a sure bet at about 7yrs and 40 spots lower.

Aguayo got broken mentally. Thats why choosing a kicker is such a crapshoot. You never know who will fall apart upstairs and once that happens, it's over.

Yeah so much is mental for a kicker. There will be a stretch where a kicker misses a few. Can he forget and move past it? There's really only one way to know if a kicker has that mental toughness.
If we kept with Zane and he shanked some kicks, im sure yall would be saying why tf didnt we draft him instead of the random 3rd round rb
Moody defo gives off a confident vibe that I kinda like. Gould was consistent mentally, he was cool & collected. We shall see.

Well I guess Lynch and Shanny knew what they were doing here. The Patriots traded up to 112 to take a kicker! If we had waited odds are Moody would have been gone! I know for all of the posters who don't believe drafting a kicker so high (in their opinions) won't care, but it appears our people understood he would not be there much beyond when we picked him! I hope he works out as he appears to have all the tools and attitude to be a very good choice for us. I also know I will get slammed by those who hate the pick, Oh Well, Obla Dee, Obla Dah, Life Goes On Babe!
[ Edited by 49ERGLENN on Apr 29, 2023 at 11:47 AM ]
Well I guess Lynch and Shanny knew what they were doing here. The Patriots traded up to 112 to take a kicker! If we had waited odds are Moody would have been gone! I know for all of the posters who don't believe drafting a kicker so high (in their opinions) won't care, but it appears our people understood he would not be there much beyond when we picked him! I hope he works out as he appears to have all the tools and attitude to be a very good choice for us. I also know I will get slammed by those who hate the pick, Oh Well, Obla Dee, Obla Dah, Life Goes On Babe!
Looks like we got him before the pats, just like with wish
If he ends up being a great kicker and is on the team for 10 years, will it matter where he was drafted? It won't. In every draft you hope for a couple starters and a couple back ups end up out of it. Look at how many games are settled by 3 points or less. A good, consistent kicker who a team can count on when it matters most, is just too important not to prioritize. Just my 2 cents.
Originally posted by steiber:
If he ends up being a great kicker and is on the team for 10 years, will it matter where he was drafted? It won't. In every draft you hope for a couple starters and a couple back ups end up out of it. Look at how many games are settled by 3 points or less. A good, consistent kicker who a team can count on when it matters most, is just too important not to prioritize. Just my 2 cents.

Exactly. Wish is a solid punter. Basically we don't even think about him which means he's doing a great job. Same with a kicker. Gould was a beast. If this kid is a kicking machine and clutch nobody will give a damn where he was drafted except analytical pansies who don't know football on these forums.
Share 49ersWebzone