There are 213 users in the forums

Jake Moody-K-Michigan 3rd Round 2023 Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by random49er:
He's all ours for 5 years if we want him that long,...right?

Only 1st rounders get the 5th year option.
  • Deebo
  • Veteran
wish we drafted a long snapper or a maybe a 4th qb
This is the only for sure starter that we drafted so far in this years draft.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
If there is an interesting topic at all in this thread,....it's the comparison of these 2 guys. Perhaps someone in the know can further expand on where the Bucs went wrong on Aguayo and why Moody is more of a sure bet at about 7yrs and 40 spots lower.

Aguayo made like 89% of his 78 kicks @ FSU,...yet was pretty abysmal in the NFL.

Aguayo got broken mentally. Thats why choosing a kicker is such a crapshoot. You never know who will fall apart upstairs and once that happens, it's over.

Yeah so much is mental for a kicker. There will be a stretch where a kicker misses a few. Can he forget and move past it? There's really only one way to know if a kicker has that mental toughness.

Last night I suggested that playing in the Big House (100,000+) for Jim Harbaugh in quite a few big games is probably about as good a recommendation for mental toughness as could be expected.
  • Deebo
  • Veteran
we love our over drafted kickers
rip to those he would have been there in round 5-7 takes
Originally posted by glorydayz:
This is the only for sure starter that we drafted so far in this years draft.

Well yeah.... Our picks were late 3rd and later. You would be extremely lucky to get a "for sure" starter with that hand
  • JMC52
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Deebo:
wish we drafted a long snapper or a maybe a 4th qb

Didn't we resign pepper?
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
This is the best pick of the 49ers draft. A young kicker with an elite leg. He can hit from long. He can kickoff deep. He's young and healthy. Best kicker in the draft. He's clutch. Hits almost all is FG's and extra points. Huge need position. Get over it guys. The best pick we made so far. It's not close.

I like the pick. I have PSTD about the super bowl kick returns.

It's a good pick.

Absolutely!
I don't have the facts in front of me - maybe AB ot Phoenix or NC could comment but how many games did we win because of FG's last season?

I'm happy w/the pick and now let's see who we can get in URFA's and any FA who'd fit.

Originally posted by 49ERGLENN:
Well I guess Lynch and Shanny knew what they were doing here. The Patriots traded up to 112 to take a kicker! If we had waited odds are Moody would have been gone! I know for all of the posters who don't believe drafting a kicker so high (in their opinions) won't care, but it appears our people understood he would not be there much beyond when we picked him! I hope he works out as he appears to have all the tools and attitude to be a very good choice for us. I also know I will get slammed by those who hate the pick, Oh Well, Obla Dee, Obla Dah, Life Goes On Babe!

Anyone who thinks he would of been available later is fooling themselves. He was the kicker we liked and wanted, you get those guys. It's essentially a fourth round pick, where the best kickers go often, 7 picks after the third officially ended. I love it and am glad we got the guy we wanted
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
If there is an interesting topic at all in this thread,....it's the comparison of these 2 guys. Perhaps someone in the know can further expand on where the Bucs went wrong on Aguayo and why Moody is more of a sure bet at about 7yrs and 40 spots lower.

Aguayo made like 89% of his 78 kicks @ FSU,...yet was pretty abysmal in the NFL.

Aguayo got broken mentally. Thats why choosing a kicker is such a crapshoot. You never know who will fall apart upstairs and once that happens, it's over.

Yeah so much is mental for a kicker. There will be a stretch where a kicker misses a few. Can he forget and move past it? There's really only one way to know if a kicker has that mental toughness.

Last night I suggested that playing in the Big House (100,000+) for Jim Harbaugh in quite a few big games is probably about as good a recommendation for mental toughness as could be expected.

I think the biggest reason they wanted him was because the mental toughness needed to play in the big house and for harbaugh. He really really really relies on his kickers, always has. Especially to win games.

It's different to make a lot of kicks throughout your career and then it's another where the team is constantly depending on you to make your kicks.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Why can't anyone answer this, but everyone is angry at the pick?

yes. he was the best K in the draft. Do a quick Google search of "best Kicker NFL draft prospects" and you'll see a consensus if not unanimous opinion Moddy was #1. People are mad because they took him in the 3rd. You don't take a K in the 3rd. They did. He's the best. We didn't have a 4th. I'm fine with it now.
Just take the best RT available and find a kicker later.

Either in later rounds, in FA, off the streets, via trade or wait for veteran cuts.
This was not a popular nor flashy pick (no one in the war room cheered after the pick was made), Lynch admitted that, but a necessary one. Gould would have cost more and his leg is not what it used to be for Kickoffs. Don't forget, he also really didn't want to be here b4 resigning. You knew they were going to take a kicker with one of those comp picks because they didn't have a forth and Moody was expected to go in the 4th. The Pats as some said, reiterated that. Not to mention I am sure the Cowboys might have wanted a new kicker after what happened to them last year. Besides that comp pick is REALLY equivalent to the 3rd pick in the 4th. That is not a big deal considering how we whiffed with other picks in the 3rd, 2nd and 1st.

Plus kickers will always be needed not just win the end, but at times accounting for all the points.

Whether he pans out or not remains to be seen, but it had to be done, the kicker we traded for was not the answer.

Aguayo played in sunny Florida, Moody played in Michigan where the inclement weather can test a kicker like old windy candlestick park could. Michigan packs 100K fans. Lynch relayed the story about Harbaugh testing him against a highly recruited kicker and he relished the challenge while the other guy wilted. According to Lynch really put them through the ringer in testing them (Hopefully a reporter can get the story from Harbaugh or the kicker on what they had to go through would make for an interesting piece). He is also holds the record for most points in a season and career.

Anyway, Good Luck Kid and welcome to the 49ers!!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone